Courage to Continue

Chapter 21

Minty’s P.O.V:

Nothing had changed over the past few days. Gerard and I were still madly in love with each other. I had forgotten all about the incident at the party and Gerard had gained my trust again. Tonight, the guys and I were having a small party at Gerard’s house for something to do. Gerard’s parents were away for the weekend, leaving the house to just us six. Big mistake! I walked out the front of my house and spotted Gerard waiting for me, just like he said he would. He walked me to his house.

Mikey’s P.O.V:

“So. What’s up guys?” I asked, sitting with Bob, Frank and Ray.
“Nothing much” replied Frank. “Gees! I’m thirsty! Where’s the booze!?” He got up and left the room, returning a few minutes later with a load of beers. We each took one and drank.
“Hey Mikey, you should know” Ray started. “What’s the deal with Gee and Minty?”
“I think they’re back together now” I replied. The truth was, I didn’t know. Gerard usually kept his personal life to himself.
“Really?” Bob said. “After what he did I didn’t think that Minty would take him back so easily.” After Gerard told me about the night at the party I told the guys too, just in case they noticed him acting a little different.
“Yeah” added Frank. “I’d be so pissed with him. Minty must really love him.” Frank was right. Minty must really love Gerard, which was great because she means so much to him. She’s so good for him. Before they were going out a few weeks ago, Gerard had been really depressed. He was drinking heavily whenever mum and dad went away, which was far too often. I was worried that he’d never be happy again, but then he talked to Minty. At that moment, Gerard and Minty walked into the room, hand in hand. They were such a cute couple! As they sat beside me, Gerard grabbed a beer. One beer never hurt anyone, right?

Minty’s P.O.V:

Many hours later, we were all still sitting in a circle on the floor. Frank, Ray, Bob and Gerard were all drunk, leaving Mikey and I the only same people in the house. Gerard went for another beer. “Whoa! Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” Mikey said, grabbing Gerard’s arm. Since I had arrived, a total of fifteen beers had been consumed. Mikey and I each had one, Ray and Bob had two each, Frank drank four and Gerard drank five. Mikey was right. Gerard had had plenty of alcohol for one night.
“Nah” Gerard slurred. “I wanna have another.”
“Please Gerard” I said, looking into his eyes. He was struggling to keep them open.
“You’ve had way too much to drink for one night” Mikey said. Gerard’s facial expression suddenly changed to become angry.
“Says who!? You!? It’s my decision on how much I drink!” he yelled at Mikey. “Stop telling me what to do! I don’t need your help!” Mikey looked hurt as Gerard pushed his hand away from his arm, grabbing another beer. Everyone went silent. This wasn’t the Gerard we knew, was it? What happened to the sweet, caring Gerard? Mikey got up and ran out the door towards his room, slamming the door. I got up too.
“I’ll be right back guys” I said before disappearing out the room and opening the door to Gerard’s and Mikey’s room. Mikey was underneath the covers of his bed crying. “Hey” I said. Mikey got out and sat down. I sat beside him. His cheeks were still stained with tears.
“M-M-Minty” he stuttered, his lips quivering. “Gerard d-does need my help. H-He needs yours too.”
“What do you mean? It’s not as if he’s always drunk” I said, confused. Mikey then explained to me that before Gerard and I were together, he was a depressed alcoholic. I couldn’t believe my ears. Gerard, depressed? He’s always seemed so happy to me. We sat in silence as my mind processed the information and soon, Mikey fell asleep. I got up and went back to the guys. Frank, Ray and Bob were talking softly. Gerard had passed out. The guys then announced that they were going home, leaving me with Gerard. I walked over to him. “Gerard. Wake up.” No response. “Gerard” I said a little louder. Still no response. “Gerard!” I yelled at him, getting aggravated.
“Huh?” he said, looking up at me through squinted eyes. “Oh, hey.”
“You need to get up and go to bed now” I told him. He sat staring at me for a moment before getting up and almost losing his balance. I rushed over to him and supported him. I led him into his room and to his bed. “I’m gonna quickly get changed.” I said, grabbing my clothes and heading to the bathroom. When I got out, Gerard was asleep on his bed, still in his clothes. I sighed and got in next to him, turning off the light. All night I wondered about what Mikey had told me.