Courage to Continue

Chapter 26

Minty’s P.O.V:

As soon as I got home last night I ran straight to my mum, crying madly. I then told her everything. She hugged me and helped me to bed, telling me that I’d be alright. Like an idiot, I believed her. Truth was, I’m not alright. In fact, I’m far from it. As I swallowed the morning after pill, last night replayed in my mind. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I walked over to it and opened it, relieved that it was Mikey. He looked sympathetically at me. I could only stare back at him, a blank expression on my face. He came inside and hugged me, making me feel a little better. Not a lot, but when you feel as depressed as I did, it really counts. “Hey. I…you…uh…” Mikey said. He didn’t know what to say.
“I’m okay now Mikey. Thanks for the hug” I said.
“You’re not okay” he said. “Look at you. You’re miserable, depressed, pale and you look like you haven’t slept at all.” Gees…thanks Mikey.
“You’re right. I got no sleep” I admitted.
“Listen. Gerard didn’t mean to hurt you Minty. He does love you” he said.
“If he didn’t mean to hurt me then he never would’ve kept drinking after I asked him not to. And if he loves me, I dunno. I certainly can’t feel the love right now” I said coldly. Mikey nodded.
“I understand you. I’m sorry all this happened” he said. “Well, I’d better go. I don’t want to leave Gerard alone too long. Besides, I wrote him a note. Hopefully he remembers what he did as well as you do.”
“Yeah” I replied. “Bye Mikey.”
“Bye Minty.” He turned around and left.

Mikey’s P.O.V:

I walked through the front door of my house, stopping immediately. Gerard was sitting on the floor slumped against the dining room wall with his knees hiding his face. A part of me wanted to ignore him, to be angry with him, but another part of me wanted to rush to his side, comforting him. He heard me close the door and lifted his head from hiding. He looked awful. His face was pale and stained with a thousand tears and his lips were quivering. I gave in and decided to sit beside him. I put my arms around him and let him cry into my chest. At least he regrets what he did. “Oh Mikey!” he yelled. “I’m such an idiot! You’re right! I’m a selfish pig!” He broke down crying again.
“Shh” I cooed. “Minty says she’s fine now. She’s a little shaken and sad, but still okay. Time will heal her.”
“No it won’t! I’ve left a permanent scar in her mind!” he said. “Not to mention the physical pain I must’ve caused her!”
“She didn’t seem to be in any physical pain when I saw her” I said.
“Mikey. I’m gonna stop drinking. Forever. Starting right now.” Wow! That’s a huge step! “But…I’m gonna need your help.”
“Wow! Sure Gee! That’s great!” I said happily.
“Yeah. Pity it took me this long to realise that I could hurt someone” he said. “I should’ve listened to Minty.”
“We tried to warn you Gee. We really did” I explained. “You got yourself in this mess, so you can get yourself out.”
“But…but…I need your help Mikey!” he yelled in distress.
“I’ll help you stop drinking. But you can sort out Minty on your own. I warned you.” He nodded in understanding. I got up and handed him the phone before searching the entire house for booze. I searched almost every room of the house, not finding one drop of alcohol. Where did he hide it from mum and dad? Wherever it was, it was a damn good hiding place! I walked into our room, the only room left that I hadn’t checked. I stood in the middle for a few minutes, wondering where to search first. Our room was such a mess! Clothes, books, CD’s and general junk littered the floor. I looked in the wardrobe, under both beds and through all the drawers. I was just about to give up but then I saw our old play chest. It was full of toys we didn’t want anymore. Opening the lid and pulling out a few toys on top, I soon realised that there was more than just toys inside. After pulling out all the alcohol, I looked right down the bottom, wishing I hadn’t. There were half a dozen or so magazines scattered across the bottom of the chest, full of ‘inappropriate’ things.
“I see you found my stash.” I turned around to see Gerard leaning against the door frame. His eyes wondered down to the magazines I had in my hands. “Shit! I forgot all about them!” His face went bright red. I laughed at him. “I was gonna throw them out…” he mumbled quietly.
“But?” I said.
“But nothing! I just forgot!” he said. “Why would I need them with Minty as a girlfriend!?” His expression changed from happy to depressed.
“Did you call her?” I asked.
“No. I don’t wanna hear her sad! And I don’t want her to reject me!” he said, the pain in his heart clearly showing in his voice.
“Call her now Gee. Please!” I said. She needed to hear him say sorry. And he needed to hear the grief his actions had caused.
“Fine.” He turned around and left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while! <3 comments!