Courage to Continue

Chapter 27

Gerard’s P.O.V:

I held the phone in my shaking hands for a moment, thinking of what I could possibly say. Screw it. I dialled her number and placed the phone to my ear. Each dial tone made me more anxious, making me want to hang up. “Hello?” Damn…too late to back out now…
“Uh…hi. Can I please speak to Minty? It’s really important.” My voice was faint and shaky.
“Would this be Gerard by any chance?” the girl on the other end of the phone asked.
“Yeah. Just please! I need to talk to her” I pleaded. The girl sighed.
“Fine. I’ll go get her for you. But I don’t think she’ll feel much like talking.” There was a scratchy noise as she put the phone down. A few minutes later, the girl came back. “She doesn’t wanna talk to you.”
“But…I wanna talk to her! I need to talk to her! Please!” I said. I was starting to stress. Minty hates me. I have no chance with her now.
“You seem like a really nice guy and I tried my best to persuade her Gerard but…sorry…” The girl hung up. Agh! I put the phone down carefully on the table, before I threw it against the wall. I must talk to Minty, even if she won’t take me back. I have to say sorry. I ran to my room and quickly got dressed.
“Whoa! Where do you think you’re going?” Mikey asked. He had been in the bathroom and on my way out of our bedroom, I ran straight into him.
“I’m gonna go see Minty” I said.
“Gee…I dunno if that’s such a good idea…” he said doubtfully.
“I know it’s not. But I need to Mikey” I explained. “Please, just trust me, okay?” Mikey sighed before nodding slowly.
“Okay. If you say you need to see her, then you should go” he said. I smiled and then passed him, walking out the front door.

By the time I reached Minty’s house, I was crying and feeling like I was gonna puke. I dunno what I was gonna do if she rejected me. I walked to her front door, hesitating to knock. When I had finally stopped crying and pulled myself together, I knocked. I heard a shuffling noise coming from inside followed by my name being called by someone. It sounded like the girl on the phone to me before. The door opened, revealing Minty. Oh god, what had I done to her!? She was miserable and pale, just like me. I couldn’t speak I didn’t have the courage. Seems like Minty didn’t either. She was avoiding eye contact with me, making me more anxious.

Minty’s P.O.V:

Oh shit. I don’t wanna be here. My stupid sister made me answer the door because I wouldn’t talk to him on the phone before. I’m starting to wish I had just answered the damn phone. Now I have to face him in person. “Hi” Gerard said. I could feel him looking at me, however, I couldn’t look back at him. I knew that the instant I looked into his deep, innocent eyes, I would fall for him again. I have to stay as strong as possible.
“Hi” I replied, barely a whisper escaping my lips.
“I…I…”he began before sighing. “I know you won’t believe me. But I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Minty!” He put his head in his hands and began to sob. “Look what I’ve done to you” he whispered. Oh my god…He really is sorry. The image of Gee crying before me was enough to break me down…again. Silent tears flowed from my eyes and trickled down my cheeks. Oh crap, I’m falling for him. What did I expect? I love him. I looked up from the floor and to his pain stricken face. His hazel eyes were bright from his tears and full of sorrow. He looked straight back at me, extending his arms. I accepted his offer and fell straight into them. He pulled me in close to his chest and kissed me on the cheek.
“I know you’re sorry Gee” I said. “And I forgive you.”
“Really!? Just like that!? But…look what I’ve done to you!” he said, placing a hand on my cheek.
“I know Gee. But in time, the present will become the forgotten past” I said. “Soon, this incident will be merely a memory.” He smiled at me, placing his other hand on my other cheek.
“I love you Minty, with all my heart and soul. And with all the strength I have.” He closed his eyes as did I as I felt his sweet lips against mine. I braced myself for the taste of alcohol I had come accustom to every time he opens his mouth, however, it didn’t come. Instead, Gerard’s natural taste filled my mouth. But he must’ve been drinking this morning! He would’ve been miserable and alone. I pulled away from the kiss. Maybe, just maybe…
“Gerard? Did you not drink this morning?” I asked, hoping to receive the answer I dearly wanted. It was the answer this relationship needed…
“No. I’ve…uh…quit drinking. For good.” There was something about the way he said it that made it believable. My happiness showed as I leapt forward and kissed his with such a force that he was pushed against the door. He giggled happily into my mouth and kissed me back. Gosh I loved his giggle. Oh how I’ve missed it over the many weeks of darkness. We continued to kiss for quite some time until we were both breathless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Sorry it's been so long since I last updated! I have writers block at the moment........ =( But I'll update as soon as I can! I promise! =) Thanks for reading! =D