Courage to Continue

Chapter 3:

Minty’s P.O.V:

I quickly walked to chemistry and managed to get there before Emily did. Good. I walked to the back of the classroom and stood beside Ray. “Hi” I said.
“Hello?” he said back. “Who are you?”
“Oh, I’m Minetta or Minty” I said as I sat down beside him.
“Oh really?” he said curiously, raising one eyebrow.
“Yeah. Gerard told me you were in a band with him. He invited me to watch you guys practice this afternoon” I explained.
“Gerard told you that!? Gerard spoke to you!?” He sounded shocked.
“Uh, yeah. Why, is there something wrong with that?” I asked.
“Well. It’s just that. Gerard hardly ever speaks to other people and you would be the last person he’d be likely to talk to.” What? I felt hurt. I wasn’t that much of a loser, was I? I looked away from Ray. “What’s wrong?” he asked.
“Am I really that unpopular?” I asked him.
“No. That’s not what I meant. I…uh…he…Gerard thinks you’re cool” he stuttered. “But please don’t tell him I told you.” Oh my god! Someone thinks I’m cool!? Gerard thinks that!? My cheeks were burning.
“Don’t worry. I won’t” I said. Emily walked in the class and gave me the ‘you bitch’ look.
“Why did that girl just give you a nasty look?” he asked.
“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter” I said. I couldn’t tell him the truth. It would upset him.
“Quiet down class” the teacher said. I opened my book and read last lessons notes. I enjoyed year 12 chemistry and we had a double lesson today. “We’re going into the lab to do an experiment today.” The whole class cheered. Experiments were great. We didn’t have to write any notes.
“Wanna be lab partners?” Ray asked me.
“Sure” I answered. There’s no way I’m going to go with Emily today.