Courage to Continue

Chapter 4:

Minty’s P.O.V:

That was the best chemistry lesson that I’ve ever had! Ray and I finished way early so we sat down and talked afterwards. He told me more about his band, My Chemical Romance. I opened my locker and grabbed my bag. I then headed to the front of the school before Emily caught up to me. I didn’t feel like fighting with her. “Hi!” I heard Gerard and Ray yell. Standing beside them was a younger boy with glasses, a short punk and a blond dude.
“Hi. Who are you guys?” I asked.
“This is my brother Mikey” Gerard said, patting him on the back. “And this is Frank and Bob” he added, pointing to them as they were introduced. ‘Guys, this in Minetta.”

As it turned out, Gerard and I only lived a few streets away from each other, which was good because I would be able to walk home without getting lost. Surely enough, as soon as we left the school, it began to rain. By the time we reached Gerard’s house, we were soaked from head to toe. We all hurried through the front door to escape the cold and the guys lead me down into the basement. “Here, you look cold” Mikey said as he handed me a blanket. I was freezing. Their house was so cold!
“So why are you here…what was your name again?” Frank asked.
“Oh, I’m Minetta, but my friends call me Minty. Gerard invited me to watch you guys practice” I said. Frank stared blankly at me for a moment and then his eyes lit up and he smiled.
“Oh, really!? Gee invited you!?” Frank sounded shocked and excited. He looked over at Gerard and winked causing his once pale face to turn bright red. “Ooh! What’s wrong Gee?” Frank asked him, trying not to laugh.
“Nothing” Gerard mumbled. “Come on. Let’s practice. Minetta, you can sit over there on the couch.” He pointed to a comfy looking couch up against the wall. All the guys walked over to their instruments, except Gerard who walked to the microphone. Once they had finished fiddling around with them, they began to play something. It was great. Gerard had an amazing voice. I looked up at him in awe and suddenly, his eyes met mine. He stuttered on his words and quickly looked away.

By the time they had finished practice, it was quite late. I had already called my parents to tell them where I was. They didn’t care. They know that I’m responsible and trust me to look after myself. “Hey Minty. Do you want to stay for tea?” I turned around to find Mikey standing in front of me.
“Um, sure. If it’s okay.” My family would’ve had tea ages ago. Besides, I was having fun with these guys.
“Yeah, that’s fine” he replied. Mikey was so cool. He and Frank both went to my school except they were a few years younger than me. Bob did too and was in the same year level as Gerard, Ray and I. All five guys hung around each other at lunch and were the best of friends, unlike me and my friends. We were always fighting over stupid things. Emily and Teegan both want to be popular and would do anything to get there whereas I just want to be myself. Why can’t they just be like me?