After The Last Midtown Show

Is this coincidence or a sign?

It's a drunken midnight on the streets
Brightly dusted with a neon light
We duck behind the corner store
Smoke your smokes while I keep a watchful eye


“Okay, Faye is busy eating Jason’s face.” He chuckled at Kris while she lighted a smoke right outside the club’s backdoor.

“Great, finally Jason proves himself useful! I hate older sisters.” She giggled and gave Mike the smoke, watching him inhale the smoke and blow it out into the warm night air. Kris sighed. “I’m going to miss you.” She confessed.

Mike looked at the floor. “Just don’t think about it, I’ll still be back every one in a while.” He looked at her and passed the cigarette. The smoke made funny figures against the cheesy cyan neon lights and Mike stared at it for a while, gathering enough courage to say what he wanted. “Kris…” He started fidgeting his feet on the dirty pavement.

“What?”

“I was wondering…” He scratched the back of his head still looking away. Kris bit her lip. “Do you have a date for prom yet?” He asked, trying to sound casual.

“Nope.” She said shaking her head. “I thought Travis was going to ask me…” She trailed off, kicking the ground. Mike’s stomach became a tight knot. “Why?” She said looking at him again, he looked away.

“I don’t have a date either. So I thought--” Mike huffed and took the smoke from Kris’ fingers. “Never mind, prom is stupid anyways.”

Kris smiled and threw herself to Mike’s arms making him drop the smoke. “I’d love to go with you!”

Mike’s face lit up. “Really? Awesome!”

You've got everything going for you
So I'll go for everything I got.


Kris was nervous. As her sister finished on her hair, the mirror gave her the image of a brunette tall girl wrapped in a pink prom dress. Make up and hair done. All she needed was her date to arrive. And that’s why she was nervous.

Mike and her could have been great friends through high school, but now that he was leaving, maybe her feelings were more than friendship. Too bad there was no time, for it was only a couple of weeks till they both were definitively off school and he’d leave with the rest of the band to be rich and famous, as she used to tease him. Kris was straightening the front of her dress when the door bell rang. She took a deep breath and walked to the living room.

“Oww! You even got a matching tie!” She heard her mom whimper and sniffle. “Kris! There you are! Come here for the pic.” He mom kept talking but her eyes were fixed on Mike. The way the rented tux made his shoulders broad and he looked taller than usual. Bottom line was he looked great.

“Nice tie.” She chuckled trying not to stare, even when Mike staring back was obvious and he didn’t make any attempt to hide it.

“Your sister helped.” He said biting his lip and chuckling as well. A couple of pics later they were out on their way to prom.

Right here, the best days of our lives

The gym was decorated with what it seemed to be a million balloons and miles of streamer paper. Mike held her hand mind absently while they entered the place. Kris laced their fingers and smiled to herself as they mingled with the rest of their classmates. After a while they were having a blast, but still some sort of sadness floated inside the gym. Mike and Kris glued to each other most of the time, dancing and having a few drinks, getting away to the bathroom to smoke and then just sitting to watch the rest of the people. Kris wondered how things would be now she won’t be seeing all those mofos on daily basis again. How would it be not to have Mike a block away from her.

She was thinking about it when Mike pulled her to the dance floor again, the song was slow and Mike trapped her waist between his arms, swaying slowly to the rhythm of whatever song was playing. The space between them slowly began to disappear, Kris felt like crying then, already missing his closeness, not knowing Mike felt the same all along. But now she knew, as Mike lifted her face and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before.” He apologized, resuming the kiss. Kris didn’t say anything and kept kissing him.

As the slow music faded, Kris took a look around. Most people had already left and only a few couples were still there, picking up their coats, Gabe and Ryland trying to pop the balloons, Nate and Alex wrapping Vicky in streamer paper, William and Ariel still making out in the middle of the dance floor…

“Wow, this is dead.” She said

“Yeah.” Mike held her waist and stared at her. Kris smiled back and leaned in, catching his lips in another sweet kiss. “I promised your mom I’d take you home early.”

“I know.” She sighed. Mike laced his hand with her and leaded the way back to the car.

The drive home was short and silent. Mike led her to the porch and held her face, sweetly kissing her lips. He felt like he was going to break, so he didn’t speak, and Kris didn’t say anything either as she unlocked the door. He kissed her again, gripping her hand and then let go, walking backwards to his car as she entered the house and locked the door behind her.

I hope before the night is through
One fumbled touch will finally hit the spot


Kris was sitting on the bed already in her pajamas, the makeup already removed from her face and her hair slowly coming back to normal when a knock on the window startled her and made her curse. Carefully, she peeked outside and saw Mike waving back and smiling apologetically. Kris opened the window and let the boy in.

“What are you--” She couldn’t finish.

Mike wrapped his strong arms around her kissing her as deep as he knew how to without hurting her. Kris didn’t mind though and kissed back twice as hard.

“Kris, I want…” He breathed out.

“I know.” Both looked the other in the eye for a split of a second before kissing hard and deep again.

One by one, the buttons on Mike’s shirt were undone, his jacket had fallen to the ground a moment earlier and the shirt suffered the same fate. Mike’s kisses traveled to Kris’ neck as his strong hands ventured under her pajama shirt. Her throat vibrated against his lips when she moaned at his fingers rubbing her nipples. Her shirt was also removed and Mike stared at her, sinking into her beauty, mentally abusing himself for not doing this sooner. They started kissing again, clumsily walking to the bed. Kris lied down on her back and Mike immediately hovered over her, kissing her lips, face and neck; her hands running up and down his back, her nails leaving pink trails in his muscles. Both breaths ragged and fast, as Kris started fumbling with his belt and pants.

Pants and shorts were removed and tossed to the ground, Mike rolled them over and knelt on the bed, holding Kris’ wrists to just look at her. Her chest was heaving, her chocolate skin glistening with the light that filtered through the half open curtain. Again he punished himself for being so blind and stupid and, as if Kris could read his mind, she wiggled out of his grip and pulled him down to kiss him.

“Don’t think about it now.” She spoke between kisses. “Not now.”

Mike looked at her and nodded, stroking her cheek before kissing her again, her legs slowly wrapping around his waist. Dammit, he had been craving this for so long, he wasn’t going to ruin it now and for everything sacred he was going to enjoy it.

We were part of something ours and ours alone
Anywhere was home
We're almost here again…


Running his hands down her body, he moved his hips to rub against her, gaining a choked moan he rushed to shush with a kiss. Pressing his body to her, careful not to crash her, he entered slowly, savoring every single millisecond of it, filling her to the hilt and swallowing every sound that came from her mouth. Kris locked her ankles on his back and pressed to him, urging him to move, to go faster and deeper. One of his hands slid under her bottom, raising her just a little bit from the mattress with easy, allowing him better access. His other hand rested on her shoulder, his thumb rubbing her jaw as he kissed and nibbled her neck. Kris threw her head back gasping heavily and whispered little nonsense as her head started to trash from side to side, Mike took a hold of her hips and slammed inside her core even faster, not even caring if the bed was squeaking softly.

He buried his face on the crook of her neck at the same time her nails sank into his back, shaking from head to toe, Kris holding on to him so hard, like she felt she was going to break in a million pieces. Panting and trembling, Kris came all around him, biting her lower lip to draw blood to keep herself from screaming. It was heaven. A couple of thrusts later, Mike followed her, slowing down his moves, helping them both come back down slowly. Both suddenly aware of the bed creaking under their weigh, the barks coming in through the open window and each other’s panting.

Mike pressed his forehead against hers, looking straight into her eyes as their breaths slowly came back to normal. He just stared at her, feeling so sorry for not realizing sooner, for not doing something sooner. Kris looked back at him with the same look, her eyes flooding with tears. Neither of them said a word, feeling there was nothing left to be said, there was no room for promises now so it was better not to say a word. Mike cleaned the tears from her eyes and kissed her head before lying by her side, putting a finger over her mouth to prevent her from talking and shook his head. Kris nodded and he gave her another sad smile before pulling her close to his chest, threading his fingers softly through her hair till finally sleep claimed them both.

When the morning light fights through the cracks
Cascading across the bed, and you are mine
When your parents start to wake for work
Between the sheets, I'll keep a watchful eye


“Kristian! Get up!” Kris jumped awake when her sister knocked on the door loudly. By her side a still sleeping Mike growled and tightened his arm around her waist.

“Mike, wake up.” She whispered caressing his hair. He grumbled something she didn’t quite catch. “It’s morning already and if my parents catch you here, you’ll be in trouble.” She leaned down and kissed the back of his neck. Mike rolled over and looked at her.

“Goddamn it.” He cursed, pulling Kris close and burying his face in her neck.

“Mike!” She giggled.

The door was again banged by her sister. “Get up, you lazy slut!” Kris rolled her eyes.

“Lovely sister I got, huh? You better get going.” She said leaning in and kissing him softly.

“Yeah, I better do.” He said kissing her again before sliding out of bed reluctantly. Kris sat on the bed and put on the pajama shirt. Mike dressed up in silence, trying not to look at her, otherwise he wouldn’t leave, or he’d kidnap her and take her with him. Once ready, he sighed and opened the window. They looked at each other and gave the exact same sad smile. Mike sighed again and started climbing out.

“Mike?” Kris said, getting close to the window.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t forget about me, okay?” She asked smiling, even when tears were falling from her eyes.

“I won’t. Never.”

They shared one last kiss through the window before Mike climbed down the drain pipe and jumped to ground, losing balance and falling to the ground. Kris chuckled at him and he stuck his tongue out and waved good bye.

“Good luck.” She muttered as he ran away from her yard.

Is there anything I missed?
Is there anything I missed?
Tell me if I'm wrong
But why would we change a thing?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you William Beckett for writing this song, for is one of my faves in the album.