Sequel: Resurecting Love

Desolate Love

chapter four

Then he was gone and just as I shut the lid of my laptop, I heard dad walk in the front door, down the stairs.

He was singing in a terrible Scottish accent, "the wheels on the bus go round and round.” I have nothing against Scottish people. David - the guy that plays the Dr in Doctor Who is from there. God I’m sad.

In bed, I was shaking, sitting in the dark. My head was spinning, it was saying things like... "Get off your arse and tell him to fuck his Nan!" Then I would think logically... "That's my great Nan... Euh... Gross!..." That’s where I’d stop thinking.

I crawled slowly out of bed and walked out of my room then sheepishly down the stairs.

"Dad." I said in a very shaky voice.

"Ello treacle." He said, I could tell he was drunk; he was wobbling all over the place.

"I have some forms for school that I need you to sign. Will you sign them?"

"Sure Honey." Dad said.

I went upstairs and got the divorce papers.

"Where's your mum lovey?" Dad asked me. I watched him sign the last place I needed him to.

"She's in hospital." I said picking up the divorce papers and hugging them.

“What the hell!” He shouted at me.

“It’s not my fucking fault, you’re the one that threw the flipping vase at her!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

“I did no such thing!” He belted at me.

“Then why is she in hospital, not living properly, having machines feed her! You are a pompuss baboon and need to FUCK OFF!” I screamed.

Dad stood, stared at me in silence.

“You look so like your mother when you do that.” He leaned forward.

Oh my God!

He kissed me!

The purvey old man!

When dad moved back, I kicked him as hard as I could in the balls and legged it up stairs. I went straight into my room and locked the door.

I heard him come up the stairs, I heard the floor creak outside my door, he was there and he whispered to me…

“I love it when you play dirty!”

I almost died!

Tucker by this point was wide awake and saw me huddling underneath the covers and gave me a hug. I didn’t even tell him off!

“What happened?” He whispered.

I sat in silence as stiff as an ox. It was heading for half three in the morning. The only good thing was that I’d got the divorce papers signed.

The only thing it showed me more than anything else was that dad had to go.

I so wanted mum. Life was harder; I mean it had been for me for years but with mum in hospital and dad getting drunk. I couldn’t handle things.

I couldn’t sleep but Tucker did. The thought of dad out side my door, just waiting for me to need the toilet or want a glass of water or snack, was terrible.

The shadows in my room made me jumpy; it was almost like he was there, there to get me. I hadn’t felt this scared for months, it made me feel like a child, a helpless infant and all I wanted was to be with my mum. In her arms, she would tell me I’d be alright, that he was gone, a thing of the past but my nightmare was never gone, and he was there, lurking in the shadows. Waiting for a chance to strike!...