My Life... Bleeding on the Bathroom Floor

Dead To The World

I woke up the next morning and I could hear the car doors slam shut and footfall on the apartment building stairs. I woke up, deciding that if it was Frank I needed to be awake to stop him from freaking out. I went to the kitchen, still clad in my tiny white shorts and a tight light blue shirt.

It was not Frank that had come home, it was our neighbor. I paid them no attention. They were okay when they weren't fighting. They were older than me and Frank, Lisa was twenty-three and Mark was twenty-four. Being newly-weds, they had a few tussles, the most being that she wanted a bigger house and he was a bit of a pig.

I laugh at them all the time as I listen to their debates become more and more immature. I chuckled dryly and went to make myself something for breakfast. I cracked an egg on the side of the pan, and stared at it as I dropped the raw egg into the pan...watching it sizzle. I was transfixed by it, and couldn't tear away. Finally hearing the door being knocked on, I left the fascinating egg.

I opened the door and a pile of boxes with legs stood in my door.

"Hello? Can I help you...?"

"Yeah... can you take some of these boxes?"

"Sure... wait... babe is that you?"

"Yes! Please take this top one! I'm about to drop them!" I snatched the box, being surprised at it's weight.

"What is this stuff Frankie?"

"It's... decorations... from my mom." he panted, placing the boxes on our couch.

"For what? Christmas? Halloween? Thanksgiving?"

"Or D.) All of the above." he smiled. "She has no use for them since I'm not a kid anymore, and once I told her about us living with each other, she wanted to contribute...plus I like this stuff. Brings back some good memories." He grinned more, still breathing heavily. I walked over to him and rested my arm over his shoulders.

"You're mom is a great person. I love decorating during the holidays. And speaking of which, Thanksgiving is coming up soon."

"Yeah next month! For now we'll wait. And have a nice day. How were you last night?" I knew this was coming.

"I was fine baby. Went for a walk to the park, Ray was there so I hung out with him for a little while, we had some tea, he went home, I made myself a small snack, and I took my medication right before bed."

"Which was...?"

"Five in the morning."

"What?! Wait... is something burning?"

"Oh shit! The egg!" I flew to the kitchen and doused the flaming egg in the sink.

"Um... yeah... maybe we should go out for breakfast."

"Cajun. Gotta love our cooking huh sweetie?" I joked. We both can't cook and I don't know where the sudden feeling of 'Oh, yeah! I can cook!' came from, but it was weird.

He laughed loudly, and kissed me. I went to get dressed. I wore my favorite loose jeans, and a tight black and blue shirt. I decided that a whole frame of eyeliner wasn't necessary, and I made up for it with a little, and I mean little bit of baby blue eyeshadow. Walking out the door, I could hear Mark and Lisa screaming at each other... I think it was about the smell of something burnt... I laughed, it was all my fault too!

Driving to an Ihop, we ate happily and I tipped the waitress heartily. Once we were back in the car, we were holding hands as Frank drove.

"I love you Frankie."

"I love you too sweetheart." I smiled at him. He was just too good to me, he held me when I would wake up and cry at night. He would make me smile when I cried...he was my guardian angel. He was not rebound, he was the calm after the storm, the long awaited love after all the hate and confusion. He was my light in a dark tunnel...he's my everything.

"Where are we going now? Home?"

"Yeah I guess. Why do you want to go somewhere in particular?"

"Oh no! I was just wondering." He nodded smiling and I rested my head on the window. As we opened the door, we could hear the silence as the neighbors had finally shut the fuck up. I like them, they're really nice to me and all...but good god they can annoy you to the point of mass murder! I popped in a movie and planted my gaze on the TV, and my rear on the couch. Frank joined me later, he had taken a quick shower and smelled of vanilla and lilacs. I rested my head on his shoulder, and took it in. I kissed him lightly, from his shoulder to behind his ear. He responded with a shiver and a half-moan. I smiled and pecked him one last time on the cheek. He pouted and watched the movie with more interest. I fell asleep, but was only awoken by Frank's worried whispers.

"No, hunny, don't fall asleep! Take your medicine first!" I nodded sleepily, and walked to the kitchen, he gave me the purple and blue pills, and a glass of water. Taking them reluctantly, Frank led me to the bedroom, where I proceeded to collapse on the bed, dead to the world.