My Life... Bleeding on the Bathroom Floor

A Misty Surprise

My leg twinged a bit as I walked down the rainy city sidewalk. I had been shopping to kill time before I had to go back home. I strode past a few people into a quiet street, the rain only a sprinkle now. It felt good to be alone doing something slightly amusing, not that being with Frank isn't the greatest thing in the world... but I just needed some me time. It felt like a classic black-and-white detective movie. I had my long hair tied back with a black ribbon, and I was wearing a gray trench coat that tied around the waist; I left that undone though.

Although I was totally alone there was an eerie feeling that someone was watching me from an alley somewhere. I sped my pace; shortcuts are not always the best idea. Once I found my car, parked behind a local restaurant, I got in, started it up, and backed out before some hobo could attack my window asking for change. I called Frankie to make sure he wasn't worried.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby, I'm on my way home now."

"Oh okay. I have surprise for you! Take your time though, okay?"

"Surprise huh? Well, I can't wait to see it!"

"I love you baby."

"I love you too Frankie, bye." I flipped it shut, wondering what it is he got me. I don't really know what it could be. It's not too close to my birthday...I mean it's only the fifth. I guess I'll just have to wait then!

I pulled into the parking lot and began the journey to the second floor. I'm going to buy a house one day, I swear it. I opened the door and called out to him.

"Frank? Frankie I'm home!" I closed the door and relieved myself of the overcoat and wet sneakers.

"Mercy! Oh darling stay there! I'll be out in a sec...." he called from the hall somewhere. Alrighty then....

He came out and led me back into the bedroom we both shared. He covered my eyes and, blindly, I went inside. Once I felt the bed under me, he let me open my eyes. He ran off into the in-suite bathroom, shutting the door in secrecy.

"Frankie? What is it -- oh my god!" He came out with the cutest little ball of fuzz in the world. A kitten. It had gray and black striped fur and a fairly lengthy tail. It mewed from his arms as he handed the adorable thing to me. I stroked it's back and it purred, the perfect imitation of a compact sports car.

"It's a girl." a smile widened on his face. I looked back and forth between the animal and Frank, just so overwhelmed with pure joy.

"Frankie," I squealed happily, "She's perfect! Oh she's so cute. I love you! Thank you so much! I wish that I had gotten you something in return. Oh she's so cute!" I hugged him tightly, the kitten still purring blissfully. A kiss later, I was thinking up names for her. One or two were really good, but I kept forgetting them. She was playing with one of the wet shoelaces on my Vans, when she stopped and stared me in the eye. She had the most beautiful face, composed of two big eyes of a watery blue, almost gray as the sky today. A perfectly angled snout with a wet baby pink nose. She was truly the most beautiful cat I've ever seen.

"You will be Misty." I said aloud.

"Misty?" Frank asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah, she looks like she's about to cry." Frank laughed and went back to what he was doing. I went and picked Misty up, she mewed in discomfort, but purred as soon as I petted her.

"Frank, you know that you could have gotten a puppy. I know how you love dogs."

"Yes I'm well aware of that, but I was looking for you, not me. You're a cat person, and so I got you the cutest kitten I could find."

"Actually, I love all animals. Dogs, cats, birds, rodents, large mammals; everything."

"I stand corrected then! Maybe we should have gotten a hamster..." he joked.

"I call them Ham-Hams. And that would have been good too, but they only live to be three... and they fit into vacuums." we laughed and I set Misty down. Frank was cleaning, which was a little strange for him.

We made dinner, trying our hardest not to burn it, and I have to say that we did a good job! We watched TV, cleaned up and went straight off to bed. Once nestled in the covers, a tiny sound startled us. Down on the floor, head tilted to the side, and big watery blue eyes staring sadly up at us was Misty, silently begging to sleep with us. I looked over to Frank and he sighed and nodded. I patted the bed, she hopped up, climbing up to one of our many pillows. She curled up on one, and wrapped her long tail around herself. She looked about the size of maybe a CD. I smiled and laid my head next to her. Frank on the other side followed in suit, murmuring. I managed to catch,

"Cat, you're lucky you're cute as hell...."