My Life... Bleeding on the Bathroom Floor

Fast Forward

Mercy was always in her room for the next ten years. Painted her two walls black and deep lavender and the other two black and red. She and her mother stopped talking at age ten. And after the funeral, she never saw Frankie again. But when she turned nine, she met a girl named Nikki, they later became best friends. But the sadder part to this is Mercy began cutting at twelve. She grew up far before intended, like most kids like her. She went to public school for a while, about six years, where she met Nikki. Last year for her birthday, Nikki and Mercy went for lip piercings, all went well. Mercy got hers on the right lower lip, and Nikki got snakebites on her lower lip. Their moms went berserk, and the two teens laughed about it over the phone, while being grounded. And all through the years, Frank became a mere speck in her pained past, soon to be forgotten completely.

But this year, Mercy now sixteen, she is going back to private school, except now living in Belleville, not Newark. She has no uniform, and for that much, she is happy.

Mercy's P.O.V.

"Bye mom! Going to school!"

No answer, whatever. I walked outside and was greeted by Nikki. She told me about her dad leaving and how she pretended to be sad. I winced at the word 'dad'. Knowing my situation, she apologized. I still have nightmares about it. We walked up to the school and were instantly pounded with jokes and sneers. 'I don't care, none of these people know me, so they can't criticize me for shit they don't know. I thought smiling to myself, 'besides, I'm too shy to say anything back.' My smile disappeared. Damn bad thoughts! I went to my locker and put in the code, shoved my stuff in keeping the books for my first four classes. Art was first, yay! I found the class room ans sat in the back near the window. Another kid, tall as me, tattoos all down his arm, and his lip pierced on the right, just like me! He must have seen me staring at him, because he walked right toward me.

"Um hi?"

"Oh! Hi!" I answered out of a daze.

"Who are you? You new? Yea I thought so." he paused.

"Hi um I'm Frank, and you are?"

"Mara, but everyone calls me Mercy."

"Cool. Sweet lip ring!"

My ring was black and orange stripes, representing my birthday colors.

"Halloween, my birthday, I love these colors."

"You too!? My birthday is Halloween!"

"Dude this is so awesome!"

So the rest of my day was boring, me and Frank slept through all our classes anyway. I just met him, and I already think I've known the guy all my life!