My Life... Bleeding on the Bathroom Floor

Meet Me In The Tree

Okay, it's been a week. Now I don't know wether these burning sensations in my chest are good or not, it's not more than likely, but is it heart burn? I've got no idea and I haven't told anyone. Oh! And things get worse! My mom insists to see our old house, the one in Newark. Yeah we still own it, hard to sell a prize house like that. We're going today, I wanna bring Frankie with me, I just want to show him what I grew up in, how horrible the high life really is, and the tree. I called him and he said yes, my mom just shrugged, that always means yes.

"Where exactly are we going Mer- I mean, Mara?" Frank asked, remembering that my mother doesn't approve of my nickname.

"Newark, my old house... I grew up here. And here we are...." I winced at old memories. We pulled into the long driveway, and Frank's jaw dropped. The huge mansion towered over the surrounding houses.

"I-I grew up near here, just down the street actually." he said pointing down the road. We stepped out of the car and torwards the small park. I was amazed he lived here, we would have made the greatest friends.

"You know about the park? And the pla -- "

"Platform in the tree? Yea I used to hang out there all the time."

"Strange, I though I was the only kid brave enough to wonder around the park, I don't remember anyone else."

"Well, I was always there."

We reached the park, I ran straight for the oak tree. I swung up, climbing was always my thing. Frank, on the other hand, wasn't so good, I heard him squeak in frustration.

"What are you doing?" I laughed.

"Trying to get up there!" he pointed to the platform.

"How did you get up there?"

"I climb fairly well." I smiled slyly.

"Teach me! Please?" he whined.

"Fine." I sighed and taught him how. He caught on rather quickly, yeah I did have to nudge him every once in a while, but he got it! We sat in the tree, talked for a while, and then this weird feeling washed over me. Like, I've done this before. Frank spoke up,

"You know, I understand why everyone calls you Mercy, your real name, Mara, sounds like it a little."

"Yeah, I guess it does." That feeling spread all over me again, much stronger. I stared into space as all the memories flooded back. A small boy was trying to climb up, he squeaked in frustration. He wanted to climb up to where I sat in the tree. I told him my name, he told me his was... Frankie!

"My name is Frankie. You got a pretty name. But it's also a very sad name too, reminds me of 'Mercy'." I snapped out of it and stared at him. He stared back. I wispered just loud enough for him to hear,

"Would you call me Mercy?"