Put Your Hands Up And I'll Copy You

Same As Always

“I’m going to dye my hair brown.”

I looked at my friend, Paige. “What?”

“You heard me. I’m dying my hair brown. Like yours.”

Her hair is blond; the shade that everyone tries to put in bottles but never really can. She looks like the classic surfer girl. Blond shaggy hair, blue eyes, freckles. “Um, maybe this is obvious to you, but why would you do that?”

“Because I can.” She laughs. “Come on, let's go to this party tonight, Jon’s friend is throwing it. He’s cool.”

Jon is Paige’s boyfriend. They go together nicely, I think. Peanut butter and jelly, almost. Except that’s not a very romantic thing to say about your best friend and her boyfriend. Although, she might take it as a compliment if I told her that. I realize that Paige has been talking while I’ve been thinking of lunch.

“…And he’s really cute too. His brother dated my cousin, and he was really nice, so I guess Max is too, and I’m pretty sure he’s single, at least he will be if you like him, because I’m sure Jon could get him to break up with his girlfriend…”

There’s one problem with Paige. She doesn’t understand why I refuse to be set up with one of her many acquaintances. I have a good reason, really. All they want to do is talk about how tripped out they were last weekend, and how this one band that no one listens to is really awesome. It almost makes me consider getting high just so that they would sound interesting.

“Paige, who’s Max?” I ask.

She sighs, looking at me disapprovingly. “Jamie, didn’t I just explain it to you? He’s Jon’s best friend. You really should meet him, I think you would like him. It’s his older brother’s party.”

“Right.” I roll my eyes. “I’m going home. I have to turn in an article for the paper.”

Paige just looks at me. I know what she’s thinking. She thinks I have no life, just because I need to actually do some school work. Her parents may be able to pay for her to do nothing, but I need to get a scholarship if I’m going to any college worth applying to. She’s considering begging me to stay, because she knows I will, but she lets it go.

“Okay, well, I’ll pick you up at six. No arguments! Bye!”

I walk across the street to my house. Cliche, I know, that my best friend and I live on the same street. It's good, I guess, because I don't have a car. Paige doesn't, either, because she wrecked her last one, but that's different.

By the time I open my door, I see Jon's car pulling up in front of her house. I wave and walk inside, by myself. With nothing but homework. Exciting.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the first story I've written in like a year. So don't be too judgmental, please?