Tuesday

Act I; Part II.

We stopped at a Motel 8 out of Jacksonville three hours later.

His lips attached to mine mere seconds after getting in the room. I pressed my hand to his cheek and pulled him closer.

"Let's go to the beach," he murmured in my ear.

"I don't have a swimsuit."

"Did I say we'd be swimming?" He gave me his famous smirk. And with that, he took my hand and led me out of the cheap motel room and back to the car. We pulled up to a deserted part of the beach. He took off his shirt and shorts.

"Wil!" I shouted, laughing at him.

"I changed my mind," he said, "Let's go swimming." I folded my arms over my chest and watched him walk to the edge of the water. "Come on, Danielle, don't be a party pooper." He reached out his hand, pouting and motioning me forward. I shook my head. He walked out of the water and to me. He wrapped his arms around me, and began taking off my shirt.

"Come on, Danielle." I rolled my eyes and took off my jeans and shirt, following him into the water. The waves crashed around us. I finally loosened up, swimming a little away from him. He swam after me, reaching out for my hand as we got deeper. And then suddenly his face disappeared beneath the surface. I looked around. The shore seemed like miles away. I looked down. I couldn't see him. I took a deep breath and went under. I forced my eyes open and looked around. I didn't see him. I went back up. I looked around again. Then I felt arms around my waist, pulling me under. I choked on the water and then I was pulled back up.

Wil was laughing.

"That wasn't funny!" I yelled.

"It so was. You should've seen your face!" I glared at him, swimming back to shore. I drew my legs up to my chest once I reached the sand. He caught up with me.

"Listen, Danielle, I'm sorry –"

"I should've never agreed to this. Looking back, I don't even think I did."

"I'm sorry –"

"Take me home." He sighed, sitting down beside me.

"One condition." I glanced over at him.

"You turn this into a good memory." He smirked.

--

The drive home was silent.

Not even Blink 182 or New Found Glory filled the car.

When he pulled up in front of my house I gave him a glance. He stared forward. I got out of the car and walked up the steep driveway. I glanced back. The car was gone.

It was getting dark.

When I pulled open the door my mom was sitting on the couch, arms folded, staring at me.

"Where have you been?" I shook my head.

"I went to the beach –"

"How did you get to the beach?" she asked, enraged. I stayed silent. "How did you get to the beach?" She sounded calmer now, and that was what scared me.

"I drove myself." I looked away. I knew she could tell I was lying.

"Your car was here all day, Danielle."

--

I stared at the navy ceiling of his room. His arm was protectively around my waist, and he was breathing into my ear. He was fast asleep, but I was lying on my back, fully awake. I was trying to decipher what this meant. Did he have feelings for me? Did I, for him? I turned on my side, staring at his sleeping face. I ran a hand through his hair, and he stirred. Our eyes met in the dim light. He leaned forward and kissed me.

"Why are you still awake?" he asked, smirking.

"I was thinking," I replied quietly. He rested his head on his hand.

"About?" I knew he already knew. He pulled me closer to him.

"We've been doing this a lot lately." It was true. He nodded, signaling for me to continue. "I was thinking about…us."

"What about us?" He wanted to hear me say it.

"Are we…together?" He shook his head.

"No, babe, you know I can't. We both know that." I nodded, swallowing the rising lump in my throat. He leaned forward and connected our lips again. I kissed back. It was the most I could have. His hand moved from my waist to the back of my head, pulling me closer. When he pulled away and I opened my eyes, I could feel tears roll out of them. He wiped them away.

"Danielle, don't cry," he said. "You know I would, if I could." His arm went around my waist again. I sighed, leaning back on the pillows and turning away from him. He pulled me back.

"I should go." He shook his head, taking my hand in his.

"Don't, babe," he pleaded. I got out of bed, pulling on my jeans and tee shirt. I glanced back once. Our eyes met, his helplessly begging me to stay. I shook my head, tears beginning to well in my eyes unintentionally.

I stole one last look, and left.

I would regret it.