Tuesday

Act II; Part I.

It was dark out, and the last second before I finally decided.

I was originally planning to go to a different band, a different show. I knew he didn't want me at his. But I had to see him before he left.

I changed from the jeans and tee shirt I was planning on wearing to the other show, Motion City Soundtrack. I changed into the dress I was wearing when we first met. I slipped on a pair of flip flops. I wasn’t going to be in the crowd, so I didn't worry about my feet.

When I finally had the courage to step out of my front door and out onto my driveway, I was still shaking with nervousness. I slipped into the front seat of my silver Volvo and turned it on.

I wish I had walked. It would've given me more time to regain my composure.

Instead, after I had found a parking spot, I pressed my forehead against the wheel. I took a few deep breaths before getting out of the car and walking the block down to the venue.

The guards knew me. They didn't bother asking for tickets. I was friends with the owner of the venue.

The first band had already played, and the second was already setting up. I glanced around, hoping he wouldn't be in the merch room. He wasn't, but Buddy, Kevin, and Marshall were. Marshall nodded at me and Buddy pranced over and enveloped me in a bear hug before he dragged me over to the other two.

"Hey, Danielle," Marshall said, pulling me into a one armed hug. I faked a smile. I knew they could read through me, though, because they exchanged glances.

"Hey, I'm going to go look for Amber," I said, and left before they could change my mind. Once in the bigger room, I glanced around. Only a few parents and the manager were at the bar. The crowd was already getting big, so I couldn't see anyone there. I decided to go upstairs, and crossed my fingers that only Amber would be up there. Not him.

When I reached the top of the stairs, I glanced around. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Amber waving me over from the opposite side. She was standing, and from what I saw, previously flirting, with Parker. He hugged me in greeting.

"I almost didn’t think you were coming today!" Amber said, hugging me tightly.

"Yeah, well, by the time I decided I was coming, I figured you were already here," I replied, just as the lights went down for NeverShoutNever.

"Guess who we saw!" Amber yelled in my ear halfway through the first song. I shook my head warningly.

"I don't want to know!" I shouted back, turning my full attention to the band taking over the stage.

After they finished playing, I felt my throat dry up.

"I think I'm going to go downstairs and get something to drink," I told Amber, but she tilted her head down towards the bar.

"If I were you, I would put up with my thirst a little bit longer," she said. I followed her gaze and realized why: he was at the bar.

And it wasn't just him.

Beside him was a strikingly beautiful brunette.