Kusari

Who Was That?

The man sat, looking out the window.

"He trusts you," he said to the young man standing behind him.

"Yeah. Well, I think so."

"Then go to him. Report back secretly."

THe boy shifted from foot to foot, staring at a bird outside. "Can I ask a question, sir?"
The man tilted his head.

"Why is it so important that we kill this girl?"

"Because she isn't part of us."

What? "But she could be..."

"NO!" The man's chair was kicked to the other side of the room.

"What?!" The boy jumped back in alarm.

"SHE WILL NEVER BELONG!" The man gripped the windowsill, knuckles turning white, bowing his head and gritting his teeth.

"Sir-"

"LEAVE!"

The young man sighed and left the room.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sachi reached up toward the pot on the highest shelf. She stood on a teetering pile of cook books. Just a little farther...
Then she lost her balance.

"AAAHH!"

Kei was in the other room, trying (and failing) to fix the hinge on a cabinet door in the bathroom when Sachi screamed. His head shot up. Oh, gods! Sachi- He jumped to his feet and sprinted into the kitchen. Panting heavily, he ignited a ball of flame in his right hand when he saw Sachi sprawled on the floor, buried in cook books and hiccuping with laughter.

"Oh crap! What happened! You scared the shit out of me! Are you okay?!?! Why are you laughing?!?" Kei put out the flame, flustered. "I mean, I thought someone was attacking you!"

Sachi giggled. "I just fell, and I don't know. I just started to laugh..."

"Good grief," Kei grumbled. He grabbed Sachi's hand and pulled her to her feet. Then he put his hands on Sachi's shoulders and looked her in the eyes with an intense look on his face. But still--are you sure you're okay?"

Sachi blushed. "Y-yeah, I'm fine"

Kei relaxed. "Oh, good," he said, taking his hands off her shoulder and breaking his gaze, exhaling. A small smile was on his lips.

"Kei-kun," Sachi said. Kei stopped and blushed. She had called him that for the first time, particularly because the author hadn't put any suffixes in there yet because her friend thinks they're annoying, though she's hard core "japanized". "You looked really funny when you ran in all flustered," she smiled. He turned away, blushing furiously. There was an awkward silence for a minute. Then they heard the front door opening. Sachi looked at Kei with horror. They jumped to attention. Kei ignited his hand again. They heard footsteps. Then something very blonde and energetic burst into the room.

"Goooood MORNING!" Momoko said happily. "I thought I'd come over!"

"Well, you gave us a heart attack!" Kei growled, who had jumped backwards in surprise, and had nearly fallen over the cookbooks, when she burst in.
Sachi was reading Momoko's emotions. "What is this? You seem so excited…" she raised an eyebrow.

"I gathered," Kei said dryly.

"Well, yes, that's obvious, but..." Sachi looked at Momoko, who was standing there with a dumb, happy look on her face. "She's going to surprise us with something."

"Eh? Darn! It's too hard to hide things from you! Well, this is it!" She got an excited look on her face. "We're going for ice cream!"

"HUH?"

"Aw, come on! You two never get out of this dark old house! Wake up and smell the sugar!"

Sachi and Kei looked at each other uneasily. "But-"

"No buts!"

Sachi sighed. "Fine, I guess."

"Look-" Kei said angrily.

She turned and smiled. "We might as well. It will be fun. There hasn't been an attack in weeks, it should be okay."

"I-"He sighed. "Okay."

"YES!" Momoko jumped in the air.

"Alright," Sachi said, "let's go." She grabbed a jacket off a hook.

Kei opened the door and they walked out. Momoko stopped at the step as they walked on.

"Hang on," she muttered, "where's my house key?" She felt her pockets and looked around on the ground. Nothing. "Oh, drat!"

"Looking for this?"

She whirled around. A boy stood leaned against the wall, twirling the key by the ring. He had brown hair and grey eyes. He was rather cute. Pretty normal, but...
Momoko gasped. The boy was floating a few inches off the ground.

"Whaaa!?"

He tossed the key to her. "Here."

"Wait!" The wheels turned slowly in her head. "You're a-"

"Yeah, I'm one, too. See you later." He moved so fast, it was like he disappeared. He leaned in quickly and kissed Momoko on the cheek. She gasped. He smirked again and turned around. Then he flew away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't updated in months! (Bad Satsuki.) Well, at the present time I have no subscribers, though it would be nice (hint hint. Probably my own fault for not updating. But now I am with this rather short chapter. What can I say, I've hit writer's block. Sigh...
Domo arigato (mister robot-o...jk!), Satsuki