Hannah's Regrets

Perfection

Chapter 2:

"It's the little freak!" came a harsh cry. I quickened my step.

"What are you running from you fag?" My shoulders were slammed and held against the lockers. I was forced to stare into the hideous eyes of Matt, some fat douche bag of a sophomore who didn't want to leave me alone. Not to mention, the locker's lock was digging hard into my back.

"How was your weekend?" he sneered. His breath reeked.

"God! Don't you ever brush your teeth?" I asked, wincing a little. He pulled me forward and slammed me back hard into the locker. It felt like the lock broke one of my spine bones in half. I let out a gasp of pain.

"What's that, shrimp?A death wish?” Like I said. I'm kind of small for a freshman. Matt looked back at his snickering spectator buddies.

"Any creative ideas this time, guys?" Evil grins were painted on all of their faces. They were big, and quite capable of snapping me in half. I groaned thinking of the pain that was about to be inflicted upon me. Suddenly, the vice principal appeared around the corner.

"Is there a problem here?" Mr. Swenson asked sternly. Matt must have trained himself to look cute and innocent. The minute a teacher appears he looks about as innocent as a dove bathing in a tub of holy water.

"Well…. Yes, there is,” Matt said. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head.

“My brother told me that Ben stole his pizza money,” he said with a sneer. Shit. I shut my eyes and let my head roll back against the locker. There was no way Mr. Swenson won't believe Matt. Even though there was no possible way I would be able to beat up any kind of freshman, never mind an abnormally large one. "I told him to give it to me so I could get it to my brother, but he won't," Matt continued. Mr. Swenson looked angrily at me.

"Ben, is this true?" he asked. I didn't answer.

"Yeah Mr. Swenson, it is," one of Matt’s evil buddies chimed in. “I saw him do it!” he continued, getting a little over-excited. Mr. Swenson's eyes narrowed.

"Ben, I expect you are going to pay Matt’s brother back in full,” he said hotly. “Or it will be detention for a week! And I want the money back to him before the end of today. Am I understood?” I nodded reluctantly. The sound of snickers could be faintly heard behind us, coming from the fat pack of hyenas. I started to walk away.

"Oh, wait! Ben!" I heard Matt's nasally voice call. I turned around and stared at him.

He held out his hand. "Forgetting something?" he sneered.

"...No," I said, not knowing what he was talking about.

“Give me my money!” cried Matt.

"But it's mine!" I cried.

"Ben," Mr. Swenson said in a stern voice. I fumbled through my pocket. There were two wrinkled bills. I pulled them out and shoved them into Matt's hand.

"This isn't all of it," Matt said coldly.

I raised my eyebrows. "That's all I have," I said. The sneer on his face grew wider.

"My brother always gets two slices of pizza, some soda, and a cookie. This isn't enough," he said slowly.

“So your obesity isn't a gene thing after all," I mumbled under my breath.

"WHAT WAS THAT?" Matt snapped.

"I don't have any more money. That's it."

"Liar! You spent it!" he cried.

"No I didn't," I said coldly.

"Then show me your wallet," he said, crossing his arms across his massive chest. I opened my mouth to say the first thing that came to mind, but Mr. Swenson cut me off.

"If you have the money, Ben, then open your wallet."

Ugh. I’m so screwed.

“Fine, you’re right. I spent it all. Happy?” I said, defeated.

“No! I want my money! I mean…my brother’s money!”

“Ben, I’m afraid I’m going to have to give you detention. Starting next week, for the entire week. What you did was wrong, and there is a price to pay,” said Mr. Swenson. Then he walked away.

"You did the right thing," he said darkly. I felt like spitting on him. Him and his evil slaves walked away, giving me one last snicker over their shoulders.

I’m going to get him back. Twice as hard.