Zack Baker

You Won't Be Sorry.

Tegan picked up the ring and ran her finger across the silver band. She wondered why a simple piece of jewelry represented so much.

She had spent years trying to forget Aaron. Until now she thought she’d been successful. But Zack uncovered the scars that were still there, scars that sliced through time and tore a hole in the future.

Zack’s words echoed inside her. She’d heard the hurt he hadn’t wanted to expose and wondered how much more was there and now deeply it was buried. He’d lost his own innocence at age five, then a few years ago, lost the baby he thought was his, a child he loved.

He’d fight, she knew. He had no choice.

And because this was also her baby, she had to do the right thing, too.

She’d seen Shanna’s nursery, had seen the book Zack had been reading. He’d even offered to stay home with the baby and take turns with feeding and diapering. If she were to ever special order a father for her child, it would be someone like Zack. He’d be a great daddy, no doubt.

Tegan held the diamond to the light. Was it possible for her to be both wife and mother without losing herself again?

Did she have any option but to try?

No matter how hard she stared into the depths of the diamond, no magical answers reflected back at her.

-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

Zack tuned his guitar and started playing Scream from memory.

He knew he’d exhausted every option. He couldn’t force Tegan to marry him. But he’d prayed he could convince her. Honesty had been his last hope.

He’d buried the memories of his mother and that Christmas—the same year he’d gotten coal in his stocking for ruining his mother’s relationship with Joe Stubing. Exposing his past had taken shovel loads of determination, but Tegan was worth it, this battle was worth it.

Her doubts were a tangible thing, something he wanted to wrap up and lock away.

That meant he had to woo her, prove he wasn’t the jerk she’d once been married to.

Zack needed patience, needed to be less inflexible. They were new weapons, but hell, he wasn’t proud, he’d take what he could.

Because this time, he refused to lose his child.

-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

“Go?” she asked. “Where?”

“The flower shop.”

She narrowed her eyes. He leaned against the doorjamb, not entering the room. Surely it was a good sign that she hadn’t gone back to her own room and bolted the door.

Tegan put down the magazine she’d been looking at. “Why?”

“Surely your dying to know how your sister is coping without you.”

“I don’t trust you, Zack.”

He exhaled loudly. “No hidden motives, honest.” He wondered how he didn’t wince at the white lie. “Besides, I figured we’d need some more food—what with the way we both eat. Unless you’d like to stay here while I go to town...?”

“Let me get my purse.”

The magazine toppled to the carpeting, falling open to centerfold.

“One hundred and fifty ways to improve your love life?”

“I wasn’t reading it,” she said, avoiding his gaze while heat chased up her cheeks.

“Too bad. I was wondering what number twenty-one was.”

“Twenty-one?”

She picked up the magazine and tossed it on the coffee table. Her blush deepened and he laughed, determined to find out what number twenty-one was, and more, practice it.

Hell, maybe they could try all of the ideas, not that their love life needed a lot of improvement. That one night nearly had blown his mind. If it got any better…Zack wondered if they’d ever leave their bed.

He entered the garage, then opened the passenger door of his four-wheel-drive vehicle.

“I thought you only had the truck.”

“There are a few things you don’t know about me yet, Tegan. But I’ll tell you anything you’re interested in.” He offered her a hand up.

“I can get in myself.”

“Yeah, I know. But I want to help you.”

She scowled.

“Help, Tegan. Help.” Dropping his voice, he added, “It’s okay to accept help. Didn’t your mother ever tell you your face will freeze like that?”

“Like what?”

“Scowl-y.”

“No. I never scowled when I was growing up. And I’m not scowling now.”

Their faces were only inches apart. “You’re scowling.”

“I’m not.”

While she argued, he ran his thumb across her mouth. Her lips parted in surprise.

“Now you’re not scowling. Get in the car, Tegan.”

She didn’t argue further.

Round one to him. He had her off balance, and he’d touched her twice without her backing up. That left him feeling pretty good.

Fifteen minutes later, the feeling was fading.

Helping her sister, Tegan was definitely in her element. There was a line of people, and while he leaned against one of the refrigerated units, she started waiting on the customers, writing up an order to send out of town, then helping Bea Hampton select just the right arrangement for her foyer.

The woman was a pain in the—with a look in the older woman’s direction, he broke off the uncharitable thought. Even though Bea was picky, Tegan didn’t bat an eye.

In the middle of the flower shop, women everywhere, he was suddenly self-conscious of being male and out of place. The air hung with the cloying scent of perfume and flowers.

He was excluded from conversation, until the postmistress, Megan Simpson, breezed in. Then he became the topic of discussion.

He decided he preferred being ignored.

“Well, young lady, has Zachary come to his senses yet and proposed marriage?” the woman asked.

Zack looked directly at Tegan. Instinctively she’d sought his gaze and he mouthed “I’ll handle it” to her.

“I’ll let you in on a little secret, Megan,” he said. “Nothing could make me happier than to marry Tegan Baldwin. She’s a beautiful woman with a heart of gold. But it’s her decision. If and when there’s a date set, you’ll be one of the first to know.

Megan preened. “Promise?”

Tegan gave the woman her weekly bouquet of pink carnations, along with the book on Antony and Cleopatra, and Zack exchanged a knowing glance with his bride-to-be.

A few minutes later, the store finally emptied out. Since Sara was in the back, he and Tegan were left alone.

“Why do you do that?” she asked.

“Do what?”

“Don’t play innocent with me, Zachary Baker.” She came from behind the counter to poke a finger in his chest.

He’d seen her outraged, upset, hurt, tender, but this…her eyes flashed fire and her tone held a note of tension he couldn’t define.

She turned him on.

“Why did you tell Megan there’s no date, and that it’s up to me if and when we get married?”

“Oh, that.”

“Yeah, that. Start talking, buster.”

“The date could change.”

“It could?”

“I’d marry you tomorrow, if you’d agree. Who knows? We could elope.”

“We’re not eloping,” she said.

“I could kidnap you. It worked for Matt and Val. ‘Course, that might make an interesting copy in Miss Starr’s gossip column. ‘Groom holds bride hostage and church. Story on page three.’”

Tegan tipped back her head, her light brown bangs parting to fall around her forehead., framing it. After a long suffering sigh, she looked at him. “You’re impossible.”

“I try.”

“And what’s the deal with me being a beautiful woman and nothing making you happier than us getting married?”

“You are beautiful.” He caught one of her hands and lifted it to his lips.

“Zack! Stop!”

“Stop what? Kissing you?”

“No, the ridiculous statements.”

“Then I can kiss you?”

“Yes. No.” She pulled her hand away. “You’re frustrating me.”

He chuckled.

“So.” Sara said, coming from the back room and wiping her hands on an apron embroidered with the store’s logo. “Looks like love. What’re the wedding plans?”

“You, too?” Tegan asked.

“It’s the bride’s privilege to plan the wedding,” Zack said. “And she doesn’t want to set the date.”

“What?” Sara demanded, eyes widened in horrified shock. “Surely you’re not thinking of being a single mother.”

Zack folded his arms across his chest.

Flustered, Tegan dragged her wayward bangs back from her forehead.

“Especially when Prince Charming just told the whole town he wants to marry you.”

“Thank you,” he said to Sara, smiling.

“He’s not Prince Charming,” Tegan retorted.

“Thanks a lot.”

“You be quiet.” After glaring at him, she glared at her sister. “I came here to get away.”

“And defy doctor’s orders?”

He’d have to send Sara a gift, thanking her for the support.

“If you get married soon, you can wear a dress off the rack, instead of having to order one special.”

“I’m not wearing a wedding gown. I did that once, remember?”

“Mistakes don’t count,” Sara said. “When do you want to go shopping?”

Tegan looked to Zack for help. Deciding to be Prince Charming, he stepped in. “She can get married in anything she wants.” Personally, he preferred her in nothing at all…

“And where’s your ring?” Sara asked. “I saw Jed earlier. He said you’d bought a beautiful bridal set.”

“I haven’t accepted it yet.”

Zack saw the flush that crept up Tegan’s cheeks. “When Tegan’s ready, she’ll show you the ring.”

“Did you get one, too?”

“I intent to be an equal opportunity wedding ring wearer.”

Sara smiled, then pulled her younger sister into her arms. “I’m worried about you, you know.”

Zack shifted from foot to foot. He had no siblings, no parents. Except for Matt’s parents, Zack had been close to no one for most of his life. The caring family ties between Sara and Tegan didn’t make him uncomfortable, just an outsider.

“He’s not Aaron,” Sara whispered.

Zack turned his head, pretending great interest in a flower—a daffodil, he’d been told. His nerves were stretched taut as he waited for Tegan to agree or disagree.

“I know.”

“You take good care of my little sister,” Tegan said, looking directly into Zack’s eye. “Or you’ll answer to me.”

He tipped an imaginary hat. “I wouldn’t think of doing anything else.”

Tegan moved away when Sara said, “Go home. Doctor said you needed to rest, not work. Doesn’t that fiancé of yours know any better?”

“She’s tough,” he commented to Tegan a couple minutes later when he was helping her back into the sports utility vehicle.

“Yes, she is,” Tegan said, smiling indulgently.

For a minute, he wished he’d had a sibling who cared.

“Since we’re in town, shall I feed you?”

“Food?”

“As much as you can eat.”

“You may live to regret those words.”

“Try me,” he said, sliding behind the wheel and turning the key. He slipped the manual transmission into reverse, then felt a band squeeze his chest when her hand covered his.

It may have been the first time she’d reached out to him.

“Thank you. For today…for understanding. I—I know this has to be frustrating for you.”

“Tegan—“

“No, wait,” she said, rushing the words together. “I need to say this. You’re right about everything, about our child never having to worry who Daddy is—not that I would have let that happen. And…” she pulled back her hand and looked at him “…I’m ready.”

He eased the transmission back to neutral and set the parking brake. “Ready?”

She tied a knot in the leather strap. “To wear your ring and tell everyone we’re getting married.”

Life with Tegan would be many things, he knew. Dull wouldn’t be one of them. Trying to contain the thrilling feeling, the possessive surge that jolted through him, he took her shoulders in his hands, touching her, he hoped, with gentleness and promise. “You won’t be sorry.”

She worked her lower lip between her teeth.

And then before he could stop himself, he leaned in closer, determined to take away the hurt and concern, and to hell with anyone who was looking…