Zack Baker

I'm Dying Of Nerves Out Here.

Huntington Hot Gossip
“Around The Town” by Miss Starr

Miss Starr is tickled pink (or blue!) to announce that our out Tegan Baldwin is getting married to none other than guitarist Zachary Baker!

Tegan, the co-owner of Huntington Flowers and Landscaping, will reportedly wear a long, pale pink skirt, along with a long-sleeved lace-and-satin shirt. Val Sanders will style the bride’s hair for the big day. And, naturally, Tegan and Sara will be doing the flower arrangements—they should be spectacular!

Jed Burns provided the wedding bands, and I have it on good authority that Zachary purchased a gorgeous set, complete with a one-karat, marquis-cut diamond. Miss Starr hopes to have a peek at the ring soon! As soon as she does, she promises to report her findings in this space.

The happy couple will tie the knot the second weekend of July in a private ceremony. Our very own Reverent Matthew Sheffield will be officiating the service at Zachary’s house on the beach.

While he was at the post office recently, Zack was asked if he had any final words before taking the big plunge. He’s quoted as saying, “I couldn’t be happier.”

Neither could Miss Starr! Two weddings, only months apart? Well, goodness, it just doesn’t get better than this!

Until next time, faithful readers, this is all the news you can use!

-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

“It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding!” Sara protested.

“I’m not a traditional sort of guy,” Zack called back through the closed guest room door.

“You are when it suits you,” Tegan returned.

“Come on, Tegan, have a little compassion.”

“Compassion?”

She was weakening; he heard the capitulation in her tone.

“Compassion for what?”

“I’m dying of nerves out here.”

He heard the two women whispering. His insides were strung tighter than a barbed-wire fence. He was desperate to reassure himself she wouldn’t change her mind.

The last two weeks had been the longest of his life as he’d battled the fear that she’d walk out on him, turning her back on the things that mattered to him, the same way his mother, then Gena, had done. It didn’t matter how many times he told himself Tegan had integrity. Doubt loomed, nagging.

Over a week ago, Tegan had moved back home and gotten her house ready for sale. He’d actually dated his bride-to-be, and they’d visited every restaurant in town. Twice each.

She wore his ring, but she hadn’t answered directly when he asked if she wore it even when they weren’t together.

They’d settled their wedding plans—for a simple ceremony performed by Matt Sheffield. They’d be married in Zack’s living room, a place where, to Zack’s pleasant surprise, Tegan felt comfortable.

Matt Sander’s would be his best man; Tegan’s sister would be her maid of honor. Their only other guests would be Matt’s parent’s, Jimmy, Brian, Val, Johnny, and Tegan’s parents—parents who had asked him about his intentions a hundred different ways before finally blessing the union.

“You can talk to her,” Sara reluctantly conceded, cracking the door open. “But you can’t see her.”

Telling himself that at least she was in the guest bedroom and wasn’t threatening to run away, he conceded.

Fabric rustled, then softly, very softly, Tegan said, “I’m here.”

His heart skipped a beat. “I was afraid you wouldn’t be.” He hadn’t planned to admit that to anyone, not even Matt.

“Big, tough, macho Zachary Baker?”

He hadn’t felt like any of the three things in the last seventy-two hours. “I wanted to give you something before we got married.”

“Zack…”

“Open your hand. Trust me,” he added when she hesitated.

Finally she did, and he noticed her nails were painted, a subtle pink that reminded him, instantly and painfully, of the one night they’d shared. She’d had painted fingernails then, too, along with painted toenails…

His gut tightened, and he wondered how he’d survive the next few hours.

He took the old, battered penny from is pocket and placed it in her palm, then cupped her fingers closed. “It’s the only thing I could think of,” he said. He felt ridiculous talking to a wooden door, felt even more ridiculous now, giving the talisman to her.

“I found it when I was nine. It’s been my good luck charm ever since. I wanted you to have it.”

He wished he had a family heirloom to give her, but something from a symbol of their commitment to each other. But his mother had only been committed to whichever man would have her.

Tegan pulled her hand inside the room, and more than anything he wanted to see her expression. Would she laugh the way Gena had anytime he attempted to express himself?

“Zack, I—I don’t know what to say.”

His lip curved up.

“I’m touched.”

“Touched?”

The door cracked open a little wider.

“Tegan! Don’t let him see you!”

She ignored her sister, pulling the door a fraction of an inch wider. Her eyes met his, and their deep depths spoke words she never would.

He breathed again. Tegan wasn’t laughing at him. More, she seemed to know how much the simple gift meant.

“I’ll take care of it, I promise.”

He believed her.

“Thank you, Zack.”

He smiled, and the stress clawing his shoulders vanished.

Unable to resist, he brought her hand to his lips and brushed a light kiss there. Even that was enough to reignite the flame that had been burning low in his gut.

“Hey, dude, minister’s ready for you,” Matt said, coming down the hallway.

Matt clamped Zack on the shoulder, and nervous energy returned, swarming though him, crawling over his skin.

“You two can kiss and talk sweet all night long, after the wedding,” Matt said. “But you’ve got guests. Say goodbye for now.”

“Bye,” she mouthed.

Before he had a chance to respond, she smiled, then shut the door.

“I gave her my lucky penny,” Zack said.

Matt whistled. “This is serious.”

“She didn’t laugh at me.”

Matt stared at Zack. Hard. “Did you really think she would?”

“Tegan? No.”

“You’re a lucky man. Beautiful woman like that, good dancer, in love with you—“

“Love?” Nick asked. “She’s not in love with me.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“This wedding is because of the baby. No other reason.”

Matt muttered a word that Matt’s mother would have washed his mouth out for. “Then why’d you give her the only thing that has any meaning to you?”

“Because—ah, hell, Matt, don’t make something of it that isn’t there.”

“After the honeymoon, give me a buzz. We’ll have a couple brewskis, talk about your stupidity.”

“This isn’t the real thing.”

“Stubborn mule. You wouldn’t know the real thing if it hit you upside the head. You hurt her and, friend or no friend, I’ll take you down myself.”

“You won’t need to.”

“Yeah. I believe you.”

Matt grinned.

Ever Since Matt had married Val, he’d become protective of all women. Sometimes Zack hardly recognized his old friend. Who’d have figured? Matt, of all people. That’s what love did to a man—made fools out of them.

And Zack Baker would never be a fool again.

That resolve didn’t stop his heart from giving a few extra thumps when he saw the minister and their guests in the living room.

Tegan’s mother clutched a handkerchief in her hand, like she had the night she and her husband had paid Zack a little visit. His promise that he’d take care of their little girl, along with his words to Matt echoed in Zack’s head.

He had no intention of hurting Tegan, ever. But skidding in behind that thought was the realization that he’d never believe his relationship with Gena would end, either.

Marriage was a hell of a commitment, but one he was willing to make.

“Last change to change your mind,” Matt said softly.

“My baby will have my name.”

Matt grinned and jostled his friend as the headed into the living room. “Figured as much.”

A few minutes later, at a signal from Reverend Sheffield, Zack turned to see Sara coming down the stairs. But he couldn’t stop craning his neck for a peek at Tegan.

Standing on the landing, she didn’t disappoint.

More, she stunned him.

Her eyes, wide, green and luminous, sought his. Without saying a word, she communicated how big a step this was for her.

With a nod, he tried to let her know he wouldn’t let her down.

Her attempted smile fell before it fully formed.

One hand wrapped around the banister, she slowly began her descent. Her free hand clutched a small bunch—bouquet—of flowers, a mixture he’d insisted on choosing. He’d gotten quite an education that day, and there’d even been disagreements about what would look good together. In the end, though, he’d won.

He’d chosen heliotrope for devotion and faithfulness, stephanotis as she’s suggested for happiness in marriage, violets for faithfulness, and he’d asked for baby’s breath to symbolize their commitment to their child. She’d drawn the line at traditional red roses, telling him that love didn’t have anything to do with their marriage. They’d compromised on pink roses. She hadn’t thought all those flowers would look good together, but he’d known they would.

He’d shocked her, though, by asking for a boutonniere, choosing a violet against an ivy leaf, signifying his promise of fidelity.

Now, looking at her, he knew he’d made the right decisions.

She wore a small hairpiece, woven with tiny rosebuds. He wanted to pluck the flowers from the rich, honeyed strands, replacing the barrette with his fingers…

He’d read in Miss Starr’s column that Tegan was going to wear a pink outfit, but he’d been unprepared for the way it looked on her.

It stole his breath.

Satin and lace lay against the creaminess of her skin, feminine and promising. Beneath the ankle-length skirt, he noticed the slight curve of her belly where his child grew, and his blood quickened.

Suddenly, Zack’s patience vanished. Breaking ranks, he went to her, meeting her at the bottom of the stairs and offering his arm.

“Thank you,” she said, looking up at him through her impossibly long lashes. “For coming to get me. It looked like a mile across the living room.”

“Tegan, I’ll always come to you.”

Even though she held the flowers, she traced the curve of his cheek. Longing walloped him.

After today, she’d belong to him. She’d touch him more often, knowing she had that right. And he’d touch her…

“I like the boutonniere.”

“Even if it doesn’t match your dress?”

“Like you said, the meaning is more important than following the tradition.”

“You’re admitting I’m right?”

She licked her upper lip, removing some of the pale pink gloss. He couldn’t wait to kiss away the rest.

“You might have had a good idea,” she conceded.

“Come on, Tegan, admit it, I was right.”

“Everyone’s entitled, once.”

He grinned.

“The tuxedo was a good choice, too”

“I’m told I clean up well.”

“You don’t look too bad even when…”

“Yeah?”

“Nothing.”

The pink that brushed her face matched the rosebuds in her hair.

“I’m ready,” she said.

Her hand tucked in the protective nook of his arm, they walked toward the fireplace.

His heart firing an emotional response that made his words waver, Zack recited his vows—vows they’d written, along with Matt’s help.

There was no promise to love or to obey. Rather, they promised they’d allow each other to be their own person. Each swore to honor and be faithful. Those were the important things, in how opinion.

Tegan repeated her oath solemnly, looking into his eyes the whole time. He slipped the ring onto her finger without her pulling away.

And then she placed a plain gold band on his finger, and the tables were turned. He felt the enormity of their commitment and recognized that this wouldn’t be like his first marriage, where trust had been shattered. This would have no pretensions, and honesty would be a demand. More than anything, he’d make it work, no matter what it took.

Matt pronounced them husband and wife, then added, “You may kiss the bride.”

Zack did.

And it wasn’t the customary kiss she was expecting.

He enfolded her in his arms, pulling her close, closer than they’d been since the night he’d slowly stripped each piece of clothing from her body, baring her before him…

Mindless of the people around them, she responded to his kiss, rising on her tiptoes and linking her arms around his neck. Even as she surrendered, she also sought.

Matt clapped, Sara cheered, her parents sighed, Matt’s mother clasped her hands over her heart, Matt Sheffield grinned indulgently and Matt’s father shifted uncomfortably.

And when Tegan looked at Zack, it was to see a lopsided smile that could melt ice.

It didn’t matter that butterflies danced a jig inside; she returned his smile. Right now, life was perfect. And she wouldn’t let anything steal that feeling, not even her own doubts.

Zack lasted about half an hour before inching her into the corner and asking how long he had to put up with all these people.

“You wanted a big church wedding, remember?”

“Must have been out of my mind. So how long, Tegan?”

She licked her lips, looking over at her parents. They’d already given her their blessings. She’d mingled with their few guests… “Now?”

With a grin, he swept her off her feet, into his arms, holding her against his chest.

“Zack! Put me down! You’ll hurt your back.”

“Then you’ll have to massage it for me.”

She grabbed hold of his shirt as he swung in the direction of the door.

“Enjoy the food and drink,” he called out. “We’ve got a honeymoon waiting.”

Amid shouts of goodwill, he carried her outside to the waiting vehicle.

Somehow it had been decorated with cans, streamers and messages, one saying Honk! Just Married!

“Payback for me doing this to Matt’s vehicle a few months ago,” Zack muttered, trying to open the door and keep hold of her at the same time.

Even the inside of the vehicle had been decorated, with confetti and balloons.

He finally managed to get the door open, and she swept confetti from the seat, laughing for the first time in over three months. Ever since she’d found out she was pregnant, she’d been through a hundred different emotions---rejoicing, doubting that she was good enough, wonder…A balloon wavered with the wind and bobbed her in the head. This was…fun, wonderfully uplifting.

Zack held on to her, even after he’d slid her onto the car’s seat.

“What’s this about a honeymoon?” she asked.

“Surprise.”

You’re serious?

“Oh, yeah.”

“But I don’t have any clothes.”

“I’ve got everything you’ll need.”

“Everything?”

“Deodorant, toothbrush, shampoo, bikini—“

“Bikini?”

“You’ll need it.” He quirked a brow. “Unless you don’t mind skinny-dipping?”

“As in naked?”

“Suits me fine.”

“When I’m already starting to show?”

“Lady, I can’t think of anything sexier.”

She shivered with an illicit thrill. If she wasn’t careful, this man might steal her heart. “Where are we going?” she asked, the words almost a squeak.

“The hot springs.”

“I haven’t been up there since I was a kid.”

“Then you’re in for a treat.” He closed the door, then battled the balloons himself as he climbed in beside her.

“Zack?”

“Hmm?”

“You didn’t mention that you packed me any clothes or pajamas.”

“Man, I knew I forgot something.”

“Are you serious?”

“No. But I like the way you blush.”

Gathering the balloons, she tied the strings to the gearshift, then tried to keep the colorful array from the rearview mirror.

They made it less than a mile before Zack saw the flashing lights behind him and pulled over.

He rolled down the window, only to have a very determined balloon elude Tegan’s attempts to catch it. It flews out and snagged on Sheriff Spencer McCall’s badge. A loud explosion cracked the air, then the red remains fell to the ground.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” Zack said.

Tegan laughed. Zack turned to her, fighting his own grin, warming her heart. It was a moment she’d never shared with another man. Like it or not, she was forming memories with him, of him. And they slowly replaced the ones Aaron had left behind. Aaron wouldn’t have found any of this amusing and would have been furious being pulled over.

More and more, she saw how different the men were.

“Don’t tell me, you won’t be coming to the boys’ poker night anymore,” Spencer said, pulling out his citation book.

“Not unless Tegan gets tired of me being home.”

“Sorry, Spence. You’ll have to find someone else.”

“First Matt, now you.” Spencer shook his head. “What’s this town coming to? As long as we’ve still got Brian, Jimmy and Johnny, there’s still hope.”

“I think you’re pretty safe there,” Zack said.

“Just wanted to congratulate you both. Oh, and keep those balloons out of the way of the mirrors. Wouldn’t want you driving while distracted.”

“Yes, sir, Sheriff McCall.”

Spencer tipped his hat, pocketed his citation book, then headed back to his cruiser.

“What next?” Tegan asked, swallowing a laugh.

She found out soon enough.

The hot springs resort was celebrating Christmas in July. Inside, Tom and Gwen Morgan had decorated the lobby and restaurants with trees and lights, and there was a colorful array of brightly wrapped packages beneath the trees.

Carols drifted softly from hidden speakers, and the fragrant scents of pine and potpourri wafted through the air. Candles burned and flickered in brass and silver sconces, making their honeymoon truly feel like a celebration.

“This is fabulous,” Tegan said to Zack.

“Hope it’s as good as going out of town for a few days.”

“Even better,” she said, the magic of the season drifting over her, even though the actual holiday was several months away.

“We’ll have to spoil the kid on Christmas morning,” he said.

“Wouldn’t dream of doing it differently.”

She laughed when he swept her into his arms, her skirt sneaking up past her ankles and hanging over his tux. Gwen herself hurried in front of them to open the door, and, wishing them well, disappeared so he could carry his bride over the threshold in private.

He paused there, giving Tegan a kiss and a look that made her feel so very special. With a skip in her pulse, she closed the door behind them.

A pile of pink feathers graced the middle of the bed in the honeymoon suite. “Feathers?”

“Number twenty-one,” he said.

Her mouth dried. “Number twenty-one?”