Zack Baker

That Wasn't Reality.

“Will you move into my bedroom?” he asked when they arrived back at the house.

The honeymoon had been too short, but if it had been any longer, she knew she would have been liable to forget how dangerous he was. Attentive to her every need, he’d been a doting groom, everything she’d ever dreamed of wanting in a husband.

But that wasn’t reality.

Two nights ago, he’d opened up, honestly showing her the wounds he carried. And because she understood, knew what made him the man he was, she was doubly vulnerable to him.

And that was something she couldn’t allow to happen. She’d been hurt, too, and needed to protect herself from him. Experience had taught her she was the only person she could count on. She’d vowed never to forget it.

He came around the vehicle and opened her door.

“Tegan?”

His legs were spread to shoulder width and his arms were folded across his chest.

She wished she could sink into the leather seat. Instead, she unbuckled her safety belt and slid from the vehicle, forcing him to take a step back. “I’ll move into your bedroom, Zack, but only because it will be less confusing for our child that way.”

Two girls walking by had stopped. Standing at the edge of the yard, they watched the interchange with great interest.

Zack didn’t seam to care.

That was, until he took off his baseball cap and, shielding her from their view, kissed her soundly. After ending the kiss, he said, “I just want to get inside you. It’s been at least two hours.”

Lost, she didn’t argue when he slid his arms beneath her and carried her from the car, kicking the door shut with his heel.