Zack Baker

I Was Wrong.

Until now, Zack had never known bone-deep terror.

The door shut, sealing Tegan—and her wide-eyed face from his view.

He paced the waiting room, his shoes gnawing at the floor as agitation swarmed though him. Minutes later, he stopped and slammed his closed fist against the wall, swearing silently.

A thousand thoughts crowded his mind. He didn’t want to lose the baby—God knew he couldn’t survive it.

But more, he didn’t want to lose Tegan.

The idea of life without her, loomed as dark as a moonless night.

When his first marriage had ended a judge had sided against him, Zack had vowed to never open his heart ever again. But Tegan, with her fiery independence, had sneaked inside without him even realizing it.

He’d meant it when he told her his demands were about her and not just their child. He’d been fighting it for days, if not weeks.

There was something about Tegan, with her grin, her sensual response and caring nature, that plowed past all his defenses. A mixture of innocence and passion, she aroused him.

He rapped his knuckles on the wall, ignoring the stares of a nurse and the receptionist.

He loved Tegan.

Plain and simple, and complicated as hell, he loved her.

The thought was as foreign as it was unwelcome. But the more he pushed it away, the stronger it became.

He was fooling himself when he admitted only to caring for her. He cherished her, her dedication to their child, her job. Even the things that drove him the craziest, he admired. “I love her,” he said aloud.

“Of course you do, Mr. Baker,” the receptionist said.

Why hadn’t he seen it before now?

He’d been attracted to her at Matt and Val’s wedding, and now, knowing Tegan, he had no doubt she honestly believed he didn’t want to be a father. Open and honest, she didn’t have a deceptive bone in her body.

In comparing her to the lying, betraying Gena, he’d jumped to the wrong conclusions. Having an affair would be as foreign to Tegan’s nature as it would be to his.

She hadn’t wanted their marriage, but she’d made the most of it, doing what was right.

This was a woman who could love and be loved, a women he could trust with his innermost secrets, a women who still carried his lucky penny and who hadn’t laughed when he’d given it to her. This was a woman who thought of others first, who cared that he didn’t believe in Santa Claus, and wanted their child to always believe.

Zack had been so blinded by his own past that he hadn’t seen their moral compasses pointed the same direction.

He exhaled sharply, sinking into one of the uncomfortable vinyl seats, feet planted on the scarred floor.

She’d been right in accusing him of trying to control her. He was so desperate to ensure he didn’t lose another child, he’d threatened Tegan with the most powerful weapon in his arsenal, a custody suit.

From the first, he’d been determined to have his way. Hung up on that, he hadn’t even admitted the truth to himself—that even before their wedding, Tegan mattered to him every bit as much as the baby.

And now…he loved her, would do anything to keep her.

He vowed to tell her as soon as he could hold her, risk be damned. He wanted her as his wife, in an emotional as well as physical way—forevermore.

“You can come in now, young man,” Dr. Johnson said.

Zack rushed though the door, striding to where she sat on the table. He took her hands in his. “I love you, Tegan,” he said, the words pulsing with pure honesty. “Tell me you’re okay.”

“I—you—“

“Mother and baby are both fine,” the doctor said, clearing his throat. “I’ll leave the two of you alone.”

The doctor left, and a smile lit up Zack’s face. The news that they were both find spilled light into his soul.

“I’m sorry,” she said, eyes wide, glistening with unshed tears, “for scaring you. For running.”

He placed his finger on her lips and shook his head. “You were right”

With a trembling hand, she brushed errant strands of hair back from her forehead.

“I was wrong.”

“No.”

“You can continue to work, and I’ll do what I can to support that in every way. You don’t have to give up anything. I’ll hire a nanny if you want me to. Whatever you dream, I’ll support you. As long as you come home to me at the end of each day.”

“You still want me to?”

He scowled. “Of course I want you to.”

“You’re not angry with me?”

He squeezed her hand and looked into her eyes, deeply. “I’m angry with myself.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You were right when you said I wanted to control you. I wanted you home, relaxing, taking care of yourself and the baby. It was about what I wanted, not what was best for you.”

She exhaled deeply.

“I thought I might lose the baby,” she whispered hoarsely. Luminescent tears chased the verdant green from her eyes, leaving them hazel. “And if I lost the baby, I might lose you, too.”

“You wouldn’t,” Zack assured her.

“What are you saying?”

“I want our marriage to be forever.”

“Even if—“

“Even if there wasn’t going to be a baby, I’d want us to stay together.”

She was afraid to hope. “Did you mean it, that…?”

“Yes. I love you, Tegan. I’m willing to change, be the kind of husband you want.”

Shaking her head, she said, “I don’t want you to change.”

His pulse lurched.

Tears swarmed her eyes, but this time, they were tears of joy. “You love me?” she whispered incredulously.

“Yeah. With my heart and soul.”

He loved her.

Her.

She was so sure she’d never be loved, certain she’d live the rest of her life as an outsider in her own marriage.

She’d fought hard, determined not to fall in love. Then, when it was too late and she’d already surrendered her heart, she’d tried to bury her vulnerability where he’d never see it.

A tear spilled, splashing on his hand. “It was me who couldn’t see,” she said, her voice shaky. “I let the scars that Aaron left behind blind me.”

The two men couldn’t have been more different. Zack didn’t want her to wait on him hand and foot, never even asked her to quit work. Instead, he’d asked her to consider working part-time, so that she could rest more.

He’d never insisted she prepare his dinner; in fact, most times he cooked for her. He quit work early every day to pick her up at the flower shop, turning his dreams over to someone else in order to care for her. “You were right when you said there’s a big difference between control and caring.” And now she saw where that line was drawn—down the middle of his heart.

She didn’t have anything to prove. Zack would never try to form her into the image of someone he wanted her to be. She could fulfill her dreams of being a mother, knowing her husband supported her completely. “You once said I could work for you. Does the offer still stand?”

“With your help, the clothing line will be more productive.”

“And it’s okay if I want to work part-time at the store?”

“As long as I get to spoil you when you’re home.”

Her soul soared.

With hesitation between each word, he asked her, “Do you love me?”

She met the intensity in his eyes, responding to it deep inside. “Yes, Zack. I love you. I’ve loved you since our honeymoon, from the moment you let me set the pace.”

“I swear to love, cherish, trust, protect and pamper you, and above all, honor you,” he said, raising her hand and placing it over his heart. “Will you be my lifelong wife?”

Shaking with the enormity of her commitment, she said, “Yes.”

Taking her in his arms and holding her close, he sealed the agreement with a kiss that ignited every nerve ending. She responded with everything she had to offer—her honesty, her passion, her love…

His green eyes were twinkling when he pulled back and said, “I want to take my wife home.”

“I want that, too.”

“Your wish is my command,” he said, sweeping her from the table and holding her tightly against his chest.

After she dressed, they left the room, his fingers possessively pressed against her spine.

“We’re in love,” he told Dr. Johnson on their way out of the office.

“I’d say so,” the older man said dryly, smiling.

“Hey, Bernadette,” Zack called to the postmistress when they were outside, “can you get a message to Miss Starr?”

The prim and proper woman patted the bun tucked at her nape. “She usually has a way of hearing things.”

“Tell her Tegan’s favorite flowers are now red tulips.”

“Oh, I see.”

Tegan laughed. Even though she laid her fingers on Zack’s mouth, she couldn’t get him to be quiet.

“And tell her Tegan’s no longer reading books with tragic endings.”

“Miss Starr will be tickled pink,” Bernadette said, pressing her hands together and smiling.

“You’re impossible, Mr. Baker,” Tegan said as he eased her onto the vehicle’s leather seat.

“You’ve got a lifetime to straighten me out, Mrs. Baker.”

“I might need a bit longer than that.”

“Lady, you can have as long as you want.”

Then, obviously not caring who was looking, Zack captured her chin, then her lips, whispering words of love.