Zack Baker

Humor Me.

“An engagement ring?” Tegan asked, her fingers clamping around her cup of decaf.

“Women who are getting married usually wear one,” Zack replied, leaning across the table toward her.

“But—“

“You said you were feeling well enough to go in to work,” he countered.

“That’s different,” she protested. But she had a hard time trying to keep her point. This morning, only inches away from her, across the kitchen table, Zack was doubly devastating.

He showered, and dampness still clung to the thick strands of his hair. A stray lock curved across his forehead, making him look even more appealing. He’d shaved, leaving the scent of soap and spice filling the air she breathed. He’d dressed in dark denim jeans that hugged his hips and rugged muscular thighs.

Worst of all, he’d left the top two buttons of his long-sleeved cotton shirt unbuttoned, giving her a glimpse of the skin underneath.

She remembered running her fingers across his chest, his back and lower…

She gulped her coffee, then winced when the heat stung her mouth.

“So how’s it different, Tegan? You’re okay enough to go to work, but not shopping?” He shoved his coffee aside. “Are you running away, or is it my ring you don’t want to wear?”

“No. Yes.” Trapped by his insight she sighed. When she’d told him she was ready to go back to work, she’d bee hoping to get away from him. She wanted to be alone to think. Even in her own room, his proximity had threatened to overwhelm her. Every time she fell asleep, she’d dreamed of him. She hadn’t been able to get away…

“Yes?” he prompted.

“I thought I’d just wear a simple band.”

“I’m a traditional sort of guy. Humor me.”

As if she had a choice.

“If he’s available, we can talk to Matt Sheffield while we’re in town. See when he can perform the ceremony.”

She squeezed her eyes shut against the surge of emotion. Zack was moving too fast, like a tornado devouring a prairie.

“Unless you prefer to be married by a judge.”

Stunned, she looked at him. “You’re asking my opinion?”

He expelled a breath, then covered one of her hand with his. “I’ve told you I’m not an ogre. This is as much your wedding as it is mine. Work with me, Tegan.”

His honesty rocked her. When he was demanding, she could ignore him. But when he exposed his emotions, she could deny him nothing. “Being married by a judge seems less hypocritical.”

“There won’t be anything hypocritical about a minister marrying us, Tegan. We will be living together as man and wife.”

“But love won’t be involved,” she objected.

“No. And if it help you, we can have the word left out of the vows.”

Five years ago, in front of a minister, in a church filled with friends and family, she’d sworn she’d love Aaron. He’d given her a ring, but he hadn’t meant a simple word he’d said.

“I will honor you, Tegan Baldwin, even with the last breath in my body.”

“What about trust?”

He didn’t answer.

Honor had to be enough, she knew. He’d offer nothing more. Maybe he wasn’t even capable of giving anything more. “If I wear a ring, it has to be a small one,” she compromised.

“Fine.”

It wasn’t, thought, she found out an hour later.

Since he’d taken her to his house after the doctor’s visit yesterday, Zack’s first stop was her home so she could puck up toiletries and clothes, then he’d driven straight to the town’s most exclusive jeweler.

“Zack, you promised.”

“Small is relative, Tegan.”

“If you’re Elizabeth Taylor.”

He grinned.

Then, unnerving her, he zeroed in on the exact ring that attracted her eye. Signaling the shop owner, Zack said, “We’d like to see this one.”

She grabbed his arm. “That’s one of the biggest diamonds they have.”

“Looks medium size to me,” he said. “Isn’t that right, Jed?”

“Been making rings most my life,” Jed agreed, pulling a marquis-cut diamond from its velvet holder. “It’s about medium size.”

”Give me your hand, Tegan.”

“Zack, I can’t accept this ring.” Yet even as she protested, the gem caught a ray of sunshine and refracted it in a hundred different directions.

“Can’t hurt to try it on.”

It fit. Darn it a hundred times. It fit perfectly, and it looked beautiful.

“Yes, sir,” Jed said, rubbing his grizzled chin. “No doubt ‘bout it. That’s a mighty fine ring.”

“Like it?” Zack asked her.

Her heart accelerated when she realized it was so much more than a piece of jewelry; it was a symbol of her commitment to their temporary marriage. Suddenly it weighed a ton.

Zack took her hand in his palm and held the ring beneath the jeweler’s lame while Jed gave Zack all the information about the gem.

“Do you want to look at a different one?” Zack said to her.

“A smaller one,” she said.

“It’s as small as I’m going to buy.”

“It costs too much.”

“Nothing is too much for my future wife. And if you like it, I want you to have it.”

In that instant, no one else existed. She looked at him and was stunned by the sincerity etched in the hardened angle of his jaw.

Aaron had wanted to possess her, but it was all about him, what she could do to make him happy. Right now, Zack seemed to want to make her happy.

“We can look at another one,” he said.

She shook her head. She wanted—desperately—not to like the ring, but it was more breathtaking than everything she’d ever owned.

“We’ll take it,” he told Jed.

Breath squeezed from her lungs.

“Now, since it’s part of a set, this wedding band goes with it,” Jed said. “Want to try it all on together?”

“no,” she told the man. For now, this was enough.

“Do you have matching bands for the groom?” Zack asked.

“Sure ‘enough.”

“You’re going to wear a ring?”

“I’ll be as married as you are, Tegan.”

“But—“

“Tegan, a ring is part of my promise to you and our baby.”

With a sigh of resignation, she agreed. With each step he took, he brought her closer to the inevitable.

Zack needed a size larger than the one in stock, and he wouldn’t buy it unless Jed promised it would be ready in less than a week.

She doubted she’d ever known a man more demanding than her fiancé.

“Now, little lady, would you like to wear your ring?”

Before she could answer, Zack said, “Well take it in a box.”

While she worked the band from her finger, he told her, “I want to give it to you later, when we’re alone.”

Alone.

Her mine seized the single word and replayed it a hundred times. The thought of them alone again in his house gave her goose bumps.

“Hungry?” he asked when they were outside.

Summer’s warmth washed over her, and for a few minutes, took her cares along with it. And the idea of being fed definitely appealed to her. It had been hours since breakfast.

“The Chuck wagon Diner’s serving lunch.”

“You know me,” she said.

“Always hungry?”

She smiled up at him.

“Wish I had a camera. A smile like that’s worth a man’s soul.”

He held open the door for her, and she wondered what it might be like if she believe in love, if he believed in love.

Her smile slowly faded. Happily ever afters might exist for some people, she knew, but she definitely wasn’t one of the lucky ones.