Please Don't Make Me Beg

Chapter 33: Westbound Sign

"Oh, shit!" Dan hissed. "I think I just fucked up big time."

Evan was trying to twist out of his brother's grasp, and they could see that he was very close to breaking free. Andi wasn't sure which of them would be the target of his anger, but she knew they needed to get away from him, and fast.

They heard footsteps coming around the corner, and Adie's face paled as she saw Dan and Craig struggling inside the studio.

"Andi, your mom and Billie will be in the parking lot in a few seconds. You and Dan get out there right now!" Andi hesitated, not wanting to leave her there to face Evan, but Adie shouted, "Run, both of you--now!" Andi turned back toward the front entrance and ran as fast as her legs would carry her, Dan's sneakers slapping the carpet close behind her.

They reached the lobby just in time to see Billie's car pull into the lot, and he and Li were out of the car before the engine had completely stopped. Andi and Dan burst through the door, and they could hear shouting behind them, coming closer--Evan had worked his way free and was coming after them, shouting threats at both of them.

"Goddammit, Dan, I told you to keep your fucking hands off of her! You couldn't leave her alone, could you? Steal your best friend's girl, you son of a bitch? I'll fucking bury you!"

Li's blood turned to ice as she heard the vicious bellowing--was this the monster that Andi had been facing for three days? She barely recognized his voice, there was so much rage.

Billie ran toward Andi, hoping to get her out of harm's way, when Evan burst through the doors, wrapping his thick arm around Andi's neck. His other hand disappeared behind her back, as if he were holding her by the waist of her skirt.

"You bitch!" he spat into her ear. "I knew I couldn't trust you with him, you little slut! You've been screwing him behind my back all along, haven't you?"

Andi shook her head, terrified, her eyes bulging in fear, but couldn't get enough breath to speak. Dan stood just a few feet behind Evan, watching his every move, and a second later, Craig pushed open the doors, panting from exertion. He couldn't believe this was his little brother, choking and cursing the girl he was supposed to be in love with.

"Evan, dude, let her go!" Craig shouted. "You're gonna hurt her!"

"Yeah, man, if you want to take it out on someone, take it out on me. I'm the one you're really pissed off at," Dan called to him, hoping to distract him.

Evan's eyes rolled wildly from Craig, to Li, to Billie, and he seemed to tighten his grip on her throat. A small, strangled croak escaped her, and she pulled helplessly at his arm, trying to free herself.

Billie was a loaded gun, ready to explode. "Let. Her. Go." he growled, each word a command. "I won't ask you again, you sleazy motherfucker. There's no way in hell I'm going to stand here and let you hurt this girl, so you can be smart and let her go now, or I can break your fucking neck for you." His lips were a thin line of fury, and Li could see the cords of muscle that stood out on his arms as his fists tightened.

"Back the fuck off, all of you!" Evan shouted. "This is between me and Andi!"

"The hell it is, you little bastard!" Li screamed. "That's my daughter, and I'll see you DEAD before I let you hurt a hair on her head!"

"Come on, man," Craig urged him, speaking low and calm. "Look, there's no way you can get past all of us, and Adie's calling the police right now. Just let her go, and we'll go inside and try to figure all this out."

Evan's eyes shifted cautiously toward his brother, but he made no move to release his grip on Andi. Behind him, Li saw a small movement, and noticed the concentration on Dan's face. He looked from Evan to Billie, and nodded imperceptibly, then turned his attention back to his friend. One furtive step, then another, and he leaped at Evan, rolling him to the ground and breaking his hold.

Billie was on them instantly, pulling Andi to safety. As she fell into Li's arms, bursting into frightened tears, Billie turned back toward Evan and Dan, who were locked in what looked like a death grip on the ground. He dug his fingers into Evan's eyes, and heard a scream as the boy clutched at his face. Jumping back, he waited for Evan to scramble to his feet, but instead of coming at Billie, the boy whirled around to face Dan.

"I told you I'd get you back, you lying bastard!" he bellowed, and his fist struck Dan with sickening force just below the sternum. Andi could hear the air rush out of his lungs, and Dan's face looked suddenly shocked.

Billie charged at Evan and tackled him back to the ground, his arm twisted behind him. Craig ran to help him, holding the other arm so Evan was immobilized. In the distance, they could hear the familiar sound of sirens, and relief flooded Li like warm rain.

Adie appeared at the door, her raven hair flying behind her as she ran to help them. Then she saw the girl, her face buried in her mother's shoulder, and for the first time, she came face to face with the woman her husband had fallen in love with.

The police cruiser pulled along the curb beside the parking lot, and two officers jumped out, handcuffs drawn. Billie and Craig backed away as they cuffed Evan's wrists and lifted him to his feet, nearly dragging him to the back door of the cruiser and pushing him inside.

Billie followed them to the car. "Will you need for her to come down and give a statement?"

"Yes, along with anyone else that witnessed the incident. Is that her mother?" the officer asked, indicating Li.

"Yeah, it is. Can I bring them down in a few minutes?"

"Sure. Let me give you a card, and you can ask for me. I'll talk with them myself. Is the girl injured?"

"No, just pretty shaken up. I'll make sure she's okay before we bring her down."

As they drove away, Billie turned back to Andi. "Hey, are you alright?" he asked gently.

"Y-yes, I'm okay." Her mind was almost on overload, after the incident with Evan, and now seeing Billie in person. It all seemed surreal.

She was just about to thank him for bringing her mother out to rescue her, when she heard a piercing scream, and turned to see Adie kneeling beside Dan on the pavement.

His mouth was open, as if he were trying to talk, but she could hear nothing but a bubbling, strangled sound. He was still holding his hands over his chest where Evan had punched him, but Andi couldn't understand the red stain that was spreading rapidly around his fingers, or the black handle that protruded from between them.

"My God, Billie, get an ambulance!" Adie screamed. "He's been stabbed!"

And as if someone had hit her with a stun gun, Andi sank to the ground like a rag doll.