Busted Lips and Lust-Bruised Hips

I'll Find You In the Shadows

New Years Eve. The only time in the year when the past and the future merged into one chaotic event. An excuse to reunite with forgotten friends and forge new relationships. The ideal opportunity for reminiscing, fresh starts and...Mayhem.

"If you come anywhere near me again with that camera, Wentz, and I swear..." Joe's threat was forgotten as he pounded his way across the hotel room, his expression a mix of subtle amusement and annoyance. His path was followed eagerly by a laughing Pete who held his camera proudly, admiring the shot he had just captured.

"You're only mad because I got you with your hands down your pants," Pete threw across the hotel room to Joe's retreating back. Lowering his eyes to the camera once again, Pete grinned at the image being displayed. "You know, this would look so good on the Internet," he joked.

"As the aftermath to your pictures, Pete?" Joe questioned with a widening grin.

Pete glanced up, his expression suddenly vacant of any trace of humour. "Cruel, Trohman. Very cruel," he murmured, placing the camera on the table.

Joe's laughter resounded across the hotel room as he disappeared into the bathroom, locking the door to ensure that Pete's lense remained outside. Hearing the click, Pete placed his camera on the table and glanced restlessly around the hotel room, his mind tumbling over thoughts of the night ahead of him. In an attempt to calm the turmoil, he stepped onto the balcony and into the coolness of the city. He breathed in the anticipating buzz of the evening: the excitement of the night ahead, the expectations of the advancing year and the possibilities that both of these concepts inspired. His mind was a knot of enthusiasm and nerves as he thought of the midnight set the band had said they would play for their fans to bring in the new year. As much as he was looking forward to celebrating with the people he loved more than he could express, he couldn't help the weight in his heart at the missing feature of the night: Jeanae. Instead of choking herself with the chaos and awkward atmosphere, she had opted to stay at home to celebrate. Pete had reluctantly agreed to her decision at her promise of a phone call at the new year.

With a slight sigh, Pete plunged his hand into his pocket and drew out his phone. His fingers worked quick across the keys as he tapped out the words his mind was resounding. Returning his phone, he attempted to focus on the night edging towards him, hoping his message would be echoed by Jeanae.

The city doesn't feel the same without you: too big, too cold like my heart. The countdown won't be worth it without your lips to seal it. Kind of clichéd but I wish you were here. I love you.

"Five...Four...Three...Two...One."

The room was one mass of cheers as midnight finally clocked in. Pete didn't hestitate in coiling his arms around Patrick and squeezing his friend playfully until the guitarist wriggled in desperation. Laughing, Pete released him and stepped back to survey the guitarist's grin. "Happy new year, baby," he said.

"Happy new year," Patrick echoed between a grin. "Here's to another one."

The pair shared a mutual smile before the moment was ransacked by Joe who slung his arms around their shoulders, crushing them in an energetic hug. "Happy new year!" he cheered, semi-deafening his bandmates.

After returning Joe's hug, Pete released himself from his clutch with a laugh. "Happy new year," he echoed. He watched as Joe smothered Patrick in a more devouring hug and chuckled as the singer fired a helpless, yet amused, glance over the guitarist's shoulder before walking over to Andy. Winding his arms around the drummer, Pete cuddled into his back and squeezed him into a hug. "Happy new year," he said.

Andy grinned as he stepped away and turned to face the bassist. "You too," he replied. His eyes swept across the hoard of fans before them, every inch of the crowd broadening the smile on his face. "I can't think of a better way to spend the night," Andy commented.

Glancing at the crowd himself, Pete smiled in agreement. "Me neither," he answered. Watching the excited writhing of the people before him as they stumbled over strangers before gathering them into hugs, Pete slowly felt his optimism ebb slightly. "I just wish Jeanae could have been here," he murmured.

Andy smiled sympathetically. "Call her," he urged the bassist. Pausing, he allowed his smile to gain momentum. "And say happy new year from me."

Pete smiled in appreciation as he stepped out of the room and found himself in the morning lingering outside. Eagerly clutching onto his phone, he dialled Jeanae's number as his heart lightened at the thought of hearing her voice. The smile he nurtured crumpled into confusion at the sound of the answering machine murmuring apologies and instructions into his ear. Hanging up, he stared at his phone as if it would display the answers to the questions that his mind was forming. The screen stared back at him blankly. In frustration, he dialled Jeanae's number again, deciding that a voicemail was better than no New Years message at all. "Hey you," he greeted the machine. "I tried to get hold of you but I...Um...I guess you're busy or something. I don't know. Anyway, I hope you've had a good new years. The show was amazing. Just wish you could have come but...Um...Happy new year. I'll see you when I get home. I miss you. I love you. 'Bye."

The early morning air embracing Pete was a gentle therapy to his confused mind and coaxed him into remaining out in it, if only to stem his pulsing thoughts. He leant back against the brickwork behind him and watched as his breath created clouds in the darkness. He wondered what Jeanae was doing, pictured her steady smile and tried to quench the homesickness raising inside him. Distancing himself from the celebration, he wandered into thought, mostly ones of Jeanae. He jumped slightly when the door beside him swung shut with the breeze but recovered with a laugh at the sight of the person beside him.

"I swear I'm not stalking you," Amaya told him, holding her hands up as if Pete could palm read her innocence. She smiled shyly as Pete laughed while his gaze took in her outfit. Following his eyes down, Amaya smiled at the Clandestine hoodie he had given her. "Yeah, I decided to take your advice and actually wear it," she explained. "I didn't fancy getting strangled by a hoodie."

"It's definately not a nice experience," Pete explained, smiling as Amaya cautiously walked towards him and into the silence now stretching out between them. She paused a slight distance away from him, smiling at the ground.

"You get tired of the crowd too?" Amaya asked him.

"Nah, I was...Um... Trying to get hold of someone," Pete answered, his eyes drooping unconsciously to his phone.

"Your girlfriend?" Amaya pressed.

"Uh...Yeah," Pete replied. "Must be busy though," he added with a shrug.

Amaya smiled sympathetically. "She could be on the phone to someone. It is New Years," she suggested, her voice a sliver of hope for the bassist.

"Probably," Pete replied with an accepting nod.

Watching as Pete tumbled into thought, Amaya frowned slightly at the hint of pain in his expression and understood the importance of one simple, yet answered, phone call. "You know, she may not be here but there are heaps of fans that are to celebrate with you," she told the bassist.

"I know," Pete replied. "I just...I don't know."

"You just wish she was here to complete it all," Amaya finished.

Pete glanced up. "Exactly," he answered, smiling at Amaya's understanding. "So...Um...You here with your boyfriend?" he asked.

Amaya released a slight laugh as she glanced down at her entwined hands. "Nah," she replied. "He...Um...Couldn't make it."

Pete nodded, suddenly grasping the reason for Amaya's depth of understanding. "And I bet he isn't answering his phone either." he said.

"Nope," Amaya confirmed as the two grinned at their united neglect. "I...Um...Came with some friends but...Well, midnight came, they found lips to latch onto and I...Found my way out here." Pete smiled his consolation as Amaya shrugged. "I thought I'd get some air, or space, before I threw up or something," she continued with a wry smile.

"That's definately not the best way to spend the new year," Pete sympathised.

"But this is," Amaya stated, glancing back at the door to the venue and taking in the hum of drunken excitement beyond it. "I mean, that show...Incredible doesn't cover it." Amaya laughed as Pete slightly dropped his head in subtle embarrassment before settling back into yet another companionable silence that coated the scene. Beyond them, the city swarmed with music and cheers, noise which drifted towards the duo like an invitation. Still, the two remained with their backs forced against the wall, their heavier hearts rooting them from the thrills offered. "So..." Amaya broke into the silence. "Have you got any New Years resolutions?"

Pete leant his head back against the wall as he thought. "To spend more time appreciating what I've got rather than what I wish I had," he answered thoughtfully before facing Amaya. "What about you?"

"To not make any New Years resolutions," Amaya responded with an adamant nod. "They're only ever forgotten with a hang-over or whenever routine comes back into play."

Pete grinned slightly as he leant heavier against the wall. "But isn't that a new years resolution?" he asked.

Amaya glanced into the shadows as she thought, a smile striving for a place on her expression. "Damn," she cursed. "I'm not even an hour into the new year and I've already broken my resolution." Pete laughed at Amaya's fake frustration as she grinned into the moonlight. "I like your resolution better," she said eventually. "It's beautiful."

"It's whether I'll keep it or not is the problem," Pete told her. "Whether habit will kick in again."

"Honey, don't let my cynicism get to you," Amaya said suddenly, stepping towards Pete with insistence.

Pete smiled reassuringly. "It's not cynicism. It's truth," he corrected. "All those New Year's resolutions, they never last. They've all faded by February."

Amaya's grin was misplaced as she aimed it at Pete. Folding her arms across her chest, she tilted her head as she glanced at him, a laugh dropping from her lips. "Since when did we get so sceptical?" she asked him. "Look at us, it's New Years day and instead of brimming with smiles, we're debating how useless resolutions are."

Pete laughed slightly at her words. "Blame the night. It always makes me negative."

"Solar-controlled moodswings. Never heard of that before." Amaya teased.

"It's a new illness," Pete explained. "I'm the first victim."

Amaya smiled. "And the cure?"

"Not found."

"Well, it is," Amaya corrected to Pete's confused expression. "But she's just at home right now." Pete raised a melancholy smile at her answer and leant against the wall to support his turmoiled mind.

"Wentz! Wentz! There's a party going on in here and you're outside!" Joe swung the door open with determination, causing Amaya to step back slightly into the shadows as her insecurities over-ruled her. Joe plunged into the night, his eyes stumbling over Amaya in an attempt to see Pete. He smiled at the guitarist as his eyes drifted over Amaya who had averted her eyes to the ground as she sensed his glance.

"Sorry," Pete apologised. "I got talking to my new stalker."

Amaya's laugh provoked a deeper frown in Joe as Pete grinned at his confusion. Brushing the comment off as another one of Pete's inside jokes he made with fans, Joe switched his expression to a grin as he noted Amaya's hoodie. "She's stealing your clothes too," he told the bassist.

"I got it when I was going through his trash," Amaya told the guitarist with a grin, her hand tugging the bottom of the hoodie to occupy itself.

"In the trash?" Joe questioned, his grin widening.

"Yeah, didn't you hear? Emo is so over," Pete informed him with a nod.

"Must have missed that memo," Joe replied. Turning from Amaya with a polite smile, Joe faced the bassist. "You coming back in?" he asked. "Everyone wants to see their favourite lyricist."

Pete grinned. "Stop sucking up, Trohman. It doesn't suit you." Glancing briefly at Amaya, whose eyes had found a path to the ground once again, Pete nodded slightly. "Give me a minute," he told the guitarist.

Joe nodded in consent before swinging the door open again, letting the noise of the party out into the stillness of the morning. Pete waited for the door to click closed before facing Amaya again. "Well...Um. I'd better head back in," he told her.

"Yeah, get back to your adoring fans," Amaya replied with a laugh.

Pete grinned in response. "Well...I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah," Amaya said. "See you." She watched as Pete wandered towards the door but called out as his hand dropped onto the door handle. "Hey, Pete."

"Yeah?" Pete asked, glancing back.

"Happy New Year," Amaya told him, smiling.

Pete mirrored Amaya's smile back to her. "You too," he replied.