Jetset Sugar

Don't Make Me Go Back

Gerard had expected that his apartment would be the first place that Ashley’s step-mother, Catherine, would check for her. But what he did not expect was for her to drop by with back-up aka Big Alfie, whose knocks had almost broken the door down. Ashley was quick enough to run to Gerard’s bedroom. Gerard knows that Catherine had always had a soft spot for him, as messed up as she is and that was an advantage for him.

“Gee-rard!” She exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air when he had opened the door. Her bottled platinum blonde hair was still in their rollers. She was wear a bright yellow top that showed a little too much cleavage and a pair of zebra stripped pants so tight it looked like a second skin on her. With heels about five-inches high, she was as tall as Gerard.

“Hello Mrs. Mandoza,” Gerard made sure that he was standing right at the door way and blocked as much of the view of his apartment as possible.

“Oh pish, Gee-rard. How many times must I tell you to call me ‘Catherine’?”

“Right. Catherine,” Gerard replied, faking a smile. He tried not to stare at the giant behind her, but that was a little difficult to do with him grunting and growling. “What…can I help you with?”

“Well,” she replied flirtatiously, running a long hot pink pressed-on nail up and down Gerard’s chest, which almost made him, threw up. “There’s a lot that you could help me with.”

She finished her sentence with a wink. Gerard didn’t know if he should slam the door at her face or jump out the window.

“But,” she continued. “For now, I just want to know where Ashley is. Has she been here?”

“Ashley?” Gerard replied, acting surprise. “Hmm…Nope, haven’t seen her since she dropped Sammi off yesterday morning.”

“Hmmm…” Catherine eyed Gerard suspiciously for a moment then quickly brushed it away. “Well, if you see her, please tell her to come home. Her mommy misses her.”

“Yea, sure.”

Gerard was about to close the door when Big Alfie placed a huge hand on the door stopping it quite easily.

“Remember Gee-rard, if you see her, tell her to come home,” Catherine repeated, but this time, her voice was low and cold. Her eyes squinting threateningly.

“Yes, of course.”

From behind the finally closed door, Gerard could hear Catherine and her giant talking. Well, actually, Catherine was talking; her giant was just grunting and growling.

“I know she’s in there,” Catherine said. “She doesn’t know anyone else. We must find her before she goes to the police.”

Gerard pressed his ear to the door and stood still until the clanking sound of Catherine’s heels disappeared down the hall. He gave out a sigh of relief and opened the door to his bedroom. Ashley was sitting at the edge of his bed, stroking Sammi which was in her arms. She looked spaced out; she didn’t even realize that he was calling her until Sammi had jumped out of her arms.

“Please don’t make me go back, Gee,” pleaded Ashley. “Not after what happened.”

“Ash, what actually happened?” Gerard asked. Ashley had been tight-lipped about what actually happened that night. Gerard didn’t want to force her to tell especially if it bothers her so much. But it seems that this is much more serious than just abuse.

Ashley did not reply him, as usual.

“Ash, you can’t stay here. She knows, and she’d come back. The whole building knows that you keep hanging around here. They could report me.”

Ashley buried her face in her hands in desperation; Gerard was equally clueless as to what he should do. He can’t simply turn Ashley away. She went to him because she trusted him. Trusted him to protect her. But he can’t protect her if she refused to tell him what had happened.