Jetset Sugar

Stunned...

“Ash, c’mon. Let’s go,” I half-pushing, half-leading her to the window where Frank was waiting for her. She climbed up and next was my turn. The three of us made our way down the Fire Escape, as quickly as we possibly could. The old rusty iron swung dangerously with every move we make and it moaned and groaned in protest.

We ended up at the alley way next to the building. Passing Ashley’s bag to me, he gave instructions to stay where we were while he would drive the car around. I nodded. He then gave a worried look towards Ashley and made a dash for it. I don’t know why we were still rushing but after what I saw, I wanted to leave the place as soon as possible. As for Frank, if my guess is right, it would be for the adrenaline rush.

I turned to look at Ashley who was still very pale about what I supposed she saw. She was hugging herself tightly and staring into space. I put my hand on her arm and called her a few times. She only responded on the fourth time.

“Huh?” I replied, like she had only realized I was there with her.

“You okay?” I asked. Stupid question, I know.

She just gave a half-hearted chuckled and shrugged. I patted her head lightly.

“You saw it too, right?” she suddenly asked, looking at me hopefully. Her eyes widen and were a little teary; they glistened under the moonlight.

“Yea, I saw it.”

Before we could carry on with the conversation, Frank arrived with his blue Ford Mustang. We got in and he drove off. Away from the apartment building. Away from Ashley’s abused life. Away from whatever it was that we both saw.