Jetset Sugar

Interlude

The apartment was dark from isolation. Sammi was at her favorite spot taking a nap. The moonlight shone through the window onto her round face. She didn’t seem to mind, she was rather enjoying the soothing light, and of course, the silence. But her enjoyment was disrupted. Even though she had her eyes closed, she could sense something was not right. She opened her eyes slightly to see the apartment filled with the glowing orange light of flickering candles scattered all around. It made her sat up.

Her bright green eyes went unblinking as she looked at the being approaching her. She tilted her head slightly with curiosity as a ghostly hand was lowered in front of her. She sniffed at it cautiously and decided that it was safe.

“Hello, Sammi,” it spoke to her. “My name is Helena, remember me?”

Sammi mew in response as she lowered her head to welcome a pat. The feeling was different, it was not as solid, but it was equally satisfying. She purred as the hand went from the top of her head to under her chin and down her back. She was stroked this way a few times before it stopped.

Helena went across the room, her feet not touching the wooden floor. The soft sound of a violin playing was heard, followed by the sound of a grand piano. Sammi observed the being floated around the room, casting no shadows against the walls. She went round and round until she stopped abruptly in front of a framed picture on a bookshelf. Helena took a closer look and the calmness that was once on her face disappeared. The whites of her eyes turned blood-shot red and with a simple wave of her hand, the picture flew across the room and crashed onto a wall.

Sammi looked upon what was happening, not moving. Fragments of glass fell on the floor. Finally seeing Helena as a threat, Sammi stood on all fours. She arched her back as the fur on her back stood on its ends. Her ears perked up and she gave a loud hissed. Helena turned her head towards Sammi, with her face full of rage. She gave out a shrilled cry and flew out, going through the glass window. In an instant, the apartment went black. There were no more sounds of violin or piano, no flickering candle. Sammi blinked, once, twice, before lying back down. Her front paws tucked comfortably under her chin, and as the moonlight washed over her round face, she closed her eyes and resumed her nap. It was as if nothing had happen, except for the broken picture frame on the floor.

(Comments please....)