Jetset Sugar

Trouble Sleeping

(Well, you asked for it, and finally it's here. I should warn you though, it's not that great. But enjoy anyways, and don't forget to comment.)

It’s been almost a week now and still no one had come forward to claim her body. I can’t help but to keep thinking about it. Wondering where her family is, whether they’re worried about her, have they reported her being missing to the police, or did they just not bother. I’m beginning to get personal, that’s definitely not a good sign. I tried not to think about the whole thing and just enjoy my night off. My whole body was aching from doing too much double shifts, but I can’t seem to be able to sleep.

I turned over to the side, towards the window. The red lights of my alarm clock indicated that it was almost two in the morning. That’s three hours since I ended my shift, and thirty minutes since I finally got into bed. Lying there with one arm under my pillow, I looked outside the window. It seemed like a storm was brewing. Scraps of newspaper were being blown up into the air, and the wind was howling softly through the small gap. I never close my windows tight they stuffed up the room. I pulled my blanket higher and let my mind wander. I could feel myself drifting off to sleep when suddenly there was a loud ‘Crash’. I sat up quickly and turned on the side lamp. It was coming from the kitchen.

“Sammi,” I called out for my cat. “Sammi, is that you girl?”

Sammi, my cat loves to climb the kitchen counter and rubs itself against whatever was on top of it. I threw my blanket off and got out of bed. In my Slipknot t-shirt and pajama pants, I walked to the kitchen. Stupid cat, just when I was finally about to go to sleep. Halfway to the kitchen, I stopped in my tracks. I just realized I had placed Sammi with a neighbor due to my long hours at the hospital. And I’m yet to pick her up.

I continued making my way to the kitchen, but in full caution mode. I gave a sigh of relief after I turned on the kitchen lights. It was just the wind. I must have forgotten to close the kitchen window. The wind was already picking up and had blown a small vase off the sill. That vase was given to me from my mom before I left home for the Internship. I had used it to put in my Money Plant and this particular kitchen window was the only one that received a reasonable amount of sunlight. Good thing right below it was the kitchen sink, so rather than having to sweep up shards of broken glass from the floor, I just had to clear the sink.

I slowly remove the unharmed plant and placed it in a mug. That was only temporary. I picked the bigger pieces with every intention of throwing it into the bin, when suddenly there was a blinding flash of lighting followed by a loud thunder. Being caught off guard, I accidentally cut my hand on one of the glass pieces. It seemed pretty deep as blood instantly started oozing out from it.

“Dammit,” I cursed myself. I grabbed the nearest dishcloth and applied pressure to it while hurriedly making my way to the bathroom for some bandages. Outside, the lighting and thunder kept on flashing and rolling at regular intervals. I placed my hand below the faucet and let the cold water wash over it. I winched at the sting. My free hand was rummaging through the medicine cabinet. Having found what I needed, I closed it.

What I saw in the mirror then gave me a fright. There she was, standing behind me, was her. Helena.
I gasped and spun myself around but she wasn’t there. I looked back at the mirror, and she was gone.

“Jesus,” I said to myself. That split-second of shock was enough to make me break into cold sweat. My heart was pounding against my chest, like it was trying to force itself out of my body. The storm was already going on full force outside. Rain had begun to fall, ferociously hitting against the windowpane. I took a couple of deep breaths to compose myself. Once calm, I picked up all that I had dropped and carried them in my arms to my bed.

With my nicely bandaged hand, I tried to go back to sleep with little difficulty.