Jetset Sugar

Stinky-boy...

Ashley had gone to the library earlier in the day to read up on conducting a séance. She had listed down things that they might need and had shooed the boys to go and get them. Finally, she was alone at Frank’s apartment. Locking the bedroom door, she sat on the bed and took her bag. She turned it over to empty the contents, but the bag was still heavy in her hands. Reaching into the bag, she ripped open the base to reveal a secret compartment. This secret compartment had been used to stash her cigarettes when she was still going to school, splendid for those surprise bag inspection.

But she was not stashing cigarettes, not this time. As she retrieved her hand from the bag, in her hand was a rectangular plastic package, packed to the brim with white powder. She knew what it was the minute she saw it. But she had no idea why she took it. She knew that with one missing, it would destroy Catherine and Alfie’s plan. She knew this was important, obviously, considering how badly she was beaten when she had accidentally blurted out to Catherine that she knew about the Cocaine. She was meant to intimidate her, possibly blackmail. Big mistake. The tables were turned and she got beaten up instead.

Ashley placed the packed Cocaine next to her. She just sat there and stared at it. Sammi purred next to her and nudged her side. Ashley carried her gently and placed her on her lap, at the same time scratching her behind the ears and under her chin.

“What am I suppose to do with this, Sammi?” Ashley asked out loud. Sammi simply mewed in reply. Suddenly there were voices outside the front door and one of them distinctly belonged to Frank. Ashley quickly dumped the package back into her bag together with the rest of her clothes.

By the time Gerard had knocked on the bedroom door she was already lying on her bed with Sammi at her side, pretending to have been in that position for some time.

“Yeah?” she called out.

“You wanna check out the things we got?” he asked opening the door slightly and peering in at her.

“Okay.”

She got out of bed and headed towards the living room. Sammi jumped off the bed and followed suit. In the living room, Frank had already started pushing the furniture against the wall, making the floor more spacious. Ashley inspected the things that they had bought, comparing them to what she had written on the list.

“Candles…check…incense…check…”

The final item was a Ouija Board. It was big and heavy, but it wasn’t on the list. Ashley knew how much such things would cost so she had decided that it was not necessary, that they would simply improvise.

“Where did you find this?” she asked Gerard, holding the board in her hands with eyes wide open.

“There was a flea market. It’s pretty cheap actually. Frank found it.”

“Yeah, I thought we could use it to contact Helena.” Frank joined them, slightly panting from moving the furniture. Beads of sweat were forming on his forehead, along his hairline. Ashley resisted wiping them with her hand. But the minute her face softened with Frank’s presence next to her, she put up the wall again.

“We can’t possibly use this,” she snapped at Frank as if he had made such a ridiculous suggestion. “This belongs to someone else, it’s not clean.”

“Of course it’s clean,” Frank replied, getting slightly impatient for being snapped at, again.

“I don’t think that’s what she meant,” Gerard replied, putting a hand on Frank’s shoulder, as a reminder to keep his calm. Frank was trying to, but he still could not help glaring at Ashley, who in turn, gladly returned him the stared.

“Fine, whatever,” Frank finally gave in. He mumbled something under his breath and headed towards the bathroom. “I’m gonna take a shower.”

“Hurry up, Stinky-boy, don’t think we’re gonna wait for you,” Ashley said to his back, which made Frank paused for awhile. Ashley waited for a come back from him but it did not come. He just kept walking to the bathroom.