Jetset Sugar

And Frank Gets Shut Down

After the whole séance episode, no one said a word. They put everything away and moved the furniture back to its original place in silence. They sat in front of the television for about an hour but none of them were concentrating on what was on it. All of their minds drifted to Sammi. They did say that cats have certain supernatural powers. Guidance of the underworld, the Ancient Egyptians believed.

‘Was there something she knew that they didn’t?’

Finally, Gerard gave in to the approaching midnight. A loud yawn was enough to announce his departure. Picking Sammi up in his arms, he retreated to the bedroom.

“Hey, hey Gerard,” Frank called out, coming up behind him. “Er…I need to get…that ‘thing’ from your room.”

Gerard just looked at him puzzled. Ashley couldn’t be bothered and continued watching the television.

“What am I suppose to say to her?” Frank continued once they were in the room, the door slightly ajar.

“I don’t know, just talk. It’s not like you guys never hang out before,” whispered back.

“Yeah, but this is different…”

“Nothing is different,” replied Gerard, putting Sammi down on the floor. She leaped onto the bed and was quick to pick a spot and lay down.

“Yes, it is…” Frank replied back, his voice slightly nervous. “Am I supposed to just blurt it out?”

“Act natural,” Gerard advised, pushing Frank out the door. “Now leave me alone, I’m gonna do some reading on this whole haunting thing.”

“I thought you’re gonna sleep,” Frank blinked at him when he was already in the hall way.

“I lied,” Gerard winked and shut the door.

“I know I shouldn’t have told you,” Frank muttered under his breath as he made his way back to the living room. The television was still on; Ashley had started on a cigarette. Frank decided to join her and lighted one too.

“What was the ‘thing’ that you needed from Gee’s room?”
Ashley asked him as he sat down beside her. He froze mid-way from taking a drag and kept saying to himself, ‘Think, you moron, think.’

“Erm…I…I just realized that I’ve already taken it, this afternoon,” Frank replied, sheepishly.

Ashley just looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Frank could feel himself turning red, his cheeks started heating up and he couldn’t seem to look Ashley straight in the eye.

Minutes later, Ashley put out her cigarette and exhaled the final remains of smoke. She then shifted in her seat and turned towards Frank.

“I know there’s something you wanna tell me,” Ashley said straight-forwardly.

“Wha…what do you mean?” asked Frank, eyeing her from the corner of his eyes.

“I’m not blind, Frank, nor am I deaf or stupid,” Ashley shrugged. “I can tell.”

“Tell what?”

“That you like me.”

Frank almost snapped his neck from turning his head towards her so quickly. His eyes widen and blood started heating up his face again, making him turn adorably pink.

“How d’you…?”

“It’s actually pretty obvious,” Ashley shrugged. “That’s…really sweet, Frank. I like you too…”

A smile slowly spread across Frank’s face, but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared as Ashley finished her sentence.

“…but please don’t. Its not gonna happen.”

“But…”

“Don’t,” Ashley cut him off, placing a finger on his lips. “Please, it’s…too complicated.”

And with that, she got up and headed to the bedroom, leaving Frank alone in the living room with the television. He blinked a few times, before slumping back into the sofa, frustration slowly rising inside him.