Status: Currently Editing

My Story

Chapter Nineteen

“Can we go in yet?” I asked in my complaining voice. We had been waiting almost half and hour, during which we had seen at least five doctors and nurses come in and out of the hospital room with not one word: about either when we could see Amy or how she was.

I was practically bored to death and every so often one of us would mutter the words, “Can we go in yet?” Unfortunately no one knew the answer, but we asked it anyway, in the hopes that someone would.

When no one answered my complained question I sighed. I as so sick of this, Amy was my friend and I’ll be damned if anyone was going to stop me seeing her. I stood up, too fast that my head began to spin, and quickly sat back down again for fear of falling over.

Forgetting that I didn’t have a watch on I looked at my wrist, “What’s the time, dad?” I asked, not looking up.

I heard him grunt and move his wrist up towards his face, “Seven thirty, dear.”

I sighed again, “That’s it! I’ve had enough of this; I stood up again, a little slower this time.

“What are you doing?” Matthew asked me.

“Going to see my friend,” I told him, I put my hand out, “and you are too.”

“Holly,” mum started, “I think you should wait till the doctors say it’s okay.”

“No mum, Amy’s our friend and we were the ones that saved her from that fire. I refuse to wait one more minute,” I stamped my foot like they do in the movies and walked over to the door.

I heard Matt chuckle then stand up also. I heard a gasp from behind me, “Don’t worry mum,” I heard Matt whisper, “If she doesn’t want to see us we’ll leave.”

The door was open a crack so I simply pushed it open. “Excuse me?” I heard someone say to me, “No visitors.”

“We just want to see her,” I told the doctor.

“Yeah,” Matt agreed.

I looked around the room, it only had one bed, which I now saw was occupied by Amy and heard mum.

“Amy? How are you feeling?” I asked her, walking forward. I felt a hand on my shoulder; it was the doctor, “What’s wrong?” I asked him, looking up.

“Who are they?” I heard someone ask, and that’s when it hit me, that someone was… Amy.

<**************>

Amy’s point of view

As I sat in bed, the doctors probed me with questions, none of which that- to my great surprise- I could answer. Frankly I couldn’t be bothered with them anymore, I had a few questions that I wanted to ask. Why was I here? When can I leave? Why were they asking me all these stupid questions?

That’s when they walked in. This girl and boy, they looked around my age.

“Excuse me?” the doctor told them, “No visitors.”

We just want to see her,” the girl said.

“Yeah,” agreed the boy.

The girl approached me then, “Amy?” she asked.

How did she know my name? I wondered.

“How are you feeling?” The doctor put a hand on her shoulder and she looked confused, that made two of us, “What’s wrong?”

I had to say something then, “Who are they?” I wondered aloud. Why were they here? How did they know me? These last questions I kept to myself, for now at least.

“Amy?” The boy waked forward now, he looked really confused- again, how did he know my name? –“It’s us, Matt,” he pointed to himself, “and Holly,” he pointed to the girl, who was now looking down at her shoes, “your best friends, “don’t you remember us?”

My eyes wondered in amazement and I shook my head, what was he on about?

“Amy-,” the girl started, but the doctor cut her off.

“I think you two should leave,” he stated.

They both looked dumbstruck, exactly how I felt. Why were they claiming to be my best friends?

They both turned to leave. I opened my mouth to say something, but thought better of it. What would I say? I didn’t know these people, but apparently they knew me. I looked up at my mum, but she just shook her head.

She rose from the bed and exited with the doctor. I laid my head back onto my pillow. It had been a long day, but that’s when it occurred to me. What time was it? I looked around the hospital room but I couldn’t see any clock. There was a curtain, that when needed could be pulled around to completely surround the hospital bed; a small T.V, that probably didn’t work; one of those rolling tables; and a bunch of machines.

I sighed, I hated hospitals’ they were just so boring. I closed my eyes in the hope that sleep would come. Unfortunately I couldn’t get that boy and girl out of my head. I sat up again; I could hear voices from outside.

“How did this happen?” I heard someone whisper.

“Why doesn’t she remember us?” Someone else asked.

“Will it ever go away?”

“We don’t know yet, we need to take more tests and ask more questions, get her mind working.”

“MORE TESTS! You’ve taken like a million tests!” This was shouted.

“Sir, there are patients try to sleep here.”

“I don’t care, my daughter can’t remember what happened a few hours ago, no to mention the existence of her two best friends!”

It continued on like this for some time. I was all too much for me and I tried to tune it out. I grabbed my pillow and covered it with my face. Did I mention how much I hated hospitals?
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to Alice Verney]/b] whose comments have inspired me to keep writing, thank you XD