Status: Currently Editing

My Story

Chapter Seven

The next day was a relatively normal day as it wasn’t my birthday anymore. I woke up at seven, my normal time and went down stairs for breakfast.

“Morning honey,” mum said as I sat down at the table.

“Morning mum, did you buy anymore Crunchy Nut?” I asked.

“Yes dear, it’s in the cupboard, second from the bottom,” she said pointing.

“Thanks mum.”

After breakfast I changed (not forgetting to put on my necklace), brushed my teeth, did my hair and came downstairs to wait for an appropriate time to leave for school. I sat in the living room with a random book I picked up off the shelf.

“Honey, do you mind going to school a little early and posting this letter for me?” she asked, handing me the envelope.

“Sure mum, no problem,” I said jumping up. I grabbed my school bag and headed out the door.

The mail box was in the opposite direction to school, the way to the shopping centre. I passed Matt’s street on the way, but he wasn’t out yet, not one in their right mind would go to school this early, but in my defense, I wasn’t going to school yet. I posted the letter, not bothering to see who it was for and headed to school. I heard footsteps behind me, and then a voice called my name.

“Holly? Hey! Holly!”

I turned back around, “Justin? Is that you?” I asked utterly astounded. I never thought I’d see him again, at least not this soon.

“Yeah, it’s me, hey,” he ran to catch up with me, “so, how ya been?”

“Oh great, not much happened after we left. Except my friend making the wrong impressions,” I laughed.

“Oh really, what impressions did she make?”

“Oh, you know, that something is going to happen between us,” I shrugged my shoulders, “she’s always making weird assumptions like that.”

“Wait, so you mean to say that, nothing is going to happen between us?” Justin asked pouting.

“I dunno,” I walked faster.

He ran to catch up, “Well say, if you give me your number and I call you sometime. Does that count as something happening?” he asked winking at me.

I laughed again; he was so cute, “Well, it doesn’t have to mean anything I guess.”

“Great!” he fumbled in his school bag, took out a pen and paper and handed them to me.

I had only just realised that I still didn’t know anything about him, I took the pen and paper from him and scribbled down my number and handed them back, “What school do you go to that you have to be up this early to go there?” I asked.

He laughed, “My dad usually takes me, but he had to work early. I go to a private school.”

“Oh,” I said. I knew exactly what school he was talking about, Horse Head High was known as the best school in our state apart from it’s terrible name, every parent everywhere wanted their kids to go there, but hardly anyone ever got in. Apart form the rich kids of course, “Wow,” I finished.

“Yeah, anyway, I better go, I wouldn’t want to get a detention,” Just explained.

“Oh yeah, well I’ll see you around I guess,” I said dismissively.

“Yeah, I’ll call you, bye!” Justin called, running off in the opposite direction.

“Bye,” I waved. I had only given Justin my mobile, I didn’t want my parents picking up when a boy was calling me, except Matt of course, he was the only exception.

I was early to school, despite the delay and sat outside my classroom to wait for the bell.

“Hey! Holly,” Matt and Amy called to me in unison.

I looked up from my text book, “Hey guys,” I called back. I was determined to keep a straight face if Amy happened to ask about Justin.

“So, did you have a good birthday?” Matthew asked me.

“Yeah,” I said standing up.

“Did you have a cake?” Amy asked, sitting down on the step.

“Nah, we’re having it tonight,” I replied, dad had forgotten to buy one after work so the celebration was put on hold.

“Oh, okay,” she said, “So, did you here from, you know?”

“No,” I lied, “when did I even have the chance?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Amy sighed; clearly she wanted something to happen, for her benefit or for mine? I didn’t know.

“Here from who?” Matt asked. I had almost forgotten he was there.

Just then the bell rang, “I’ll tell you later,” I promised him. Later was going to be in a very long time.