TEZCATLIPOCA “Smoking Mirror”

Mexico, 1523

“How dare you.” Ignacio snarled. Acatl watched the light flare in the aristocrat’s eyes. “You attempt your trickery to veil my mind?!”

Acatl closed his eyes and rested his head against the stone sarcophagus under him. “You are a fool.”

“You are the bigger fool for believing your tongue could sway me. Even now it cannot save you!”

“As I said, do what you wish to me. But tread a single warrior into the village and you shall be punished. Do you really wish that upon yourself and your men? You hold their lives in your hands as well as your own.”

The noble drew back his shoulders. “Your threats are meaningless Acatl. By dawn you shall be in eternal sleep and none shall come to save you or your people.”

“Do not do this Ignacio!” Acatl’s voice rose warningly. “I do not wish you harm, but if you do not heed my warnings then I will seek revenge for any you slaughter.”

Ignacio threw his head back and laughed. A maniac and screeching sound it echoed off the stone walls. “You forget your sleep will last forever Acatl!” He cried. “You have been forsaken by your comrades, your people and your demon gods. You shall sleep alone until the end of time. You shall never wake to carry out your revenge. I fear you no longer Acatl!”

“Do you really wish this upon yourself Ignacio?! Do you wish to live a life fearing the truth of my words?! Do not slaughter the people who I pledged my promise to. If you force me to abandon my oath even the gods will not forgive you. Those who wish for revenge will come.”

A twisted grin worked its way onto Ignacio’s face and he leaned closer to the edge of the sarcophagus. “Let them come!” He hissed.