TEZCATLIPOCA “Smoking Mirror”

Mexico, 1523

“Señor, midnight approaches.” The priest’s voice interrupted the fierce glare between Acatl and Ignacio. “His time is nearing. We must act.”

“Very well, I bid you farewell Acatl.” Ignacio stood to his full height and stepped back to allow two of the four soldiers beside the priest to come forward. “May your dreams be filled with the knowledge of the ills that befall those who oppose the will of the one true God.”

Acatl’s face contorted with rage. “Ignacio!” He screamed as the soldiers lifted a great stone lid over the sarcophagus. “Your time will come! I swear by the guardians and the graves of those you slaughter! Beware the obsidian mirror Ignacio! You have failed its master’s test!!!”

“Enough of this idle banter.” Ignacio snapped. Now rest in eternal sleep until the end of time Acatl.” The aristocrat motioned to the two soldiers who had paused with the stone cover.

They carefully lifted it over the casket and with straining muscles gradually lowered it.
“Good Bye Acatl.”

“You may seal me away by the eternal light of Metztli,” From the small gap between the sarcophagus and lowering cover stone Ignacio heard Acatl’s faint voice speak with deep weariness. “But do not anger the gods, Ignacio de Garcia. Your spirit is confused, yet if you go through with your intentions do not expect mercy from the smoking mirror . . .”

With a soft thud the cover stone was secured in place and the last of Acatl’s words was smothered. A long silence filled the chamber and the hair on the back of Ignacio’s neck prickled.

“Señor.” The two soldiers stood awaiting his orders.
Ignacio hesitated then drew himself up. “Send word to the men! Have them prepare as planed.”

“Yes Señor.” Ignacio listened to the tramp of their feet echo through the temple until the final silence of their departure reached his ears.

“Señor,” The priest began. “If he is left here he could be found and resurrected.”

“Yes, I am aware.” Ignacio said, and turned to the two remaining guards flanking the priest.

“You shall remain on duty here. I will send another four men to aid your efforts. No one is to enter this chamber. Is that clear?”

“Sí, Señor.”

Ignacio turned to the priest. “Once we have gained control of this area I will personally see that this B’alam is moved to a secure location. I will not risk the slightest possibility of his resurrection.”

The priest nodded in assent and with Ignacio turned from the silent sarcophagus.