Kiss Me, I'm Contagious

UM, SAY WHAT?

I just felt like I fell off a fifty seven storey building and slammed my head straight into the car parked below.

Suddenly, everything somehow made sense. The keychain, this woman, some sort of a link seemed to have developed in my head. As I shoved my way out of the club, I could feel the guys following me out. I’m sure they know something’s up.

“Summer!” Zack’s mom called out like she had just said my name for the first time. I turned back and looked at her. This woman can’t be my mom, Zack can’t be my brother. This was way too much of a coincidence.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered. Zack and the guys came out of the club soon after.

“You really are my mom?” I asked her, volume louder than I wanted to. “How can that be? I don’t even look like Zack. I’m not even a Merrick!” I yelled at her and rubbed my face hard in my palms. She looked helpless and pathetic but I didn’t feel a thing for her. She was just a stranger to me.

“I don’t get this, Mom? What is going on? I didn’t even know I had a sister!” Zack shook her hard as he screamed.

“Why didn’t you tell me then? When you saw me years ago?” I ignored Zack and yelled.

“How can we be related? How could there be another kid? This is some mistake. I mean, the timeline is completely fucked up.” Zack ignored me back.

“Why did you just watch me walk away? Why couldn’t you tell me?” I continued yelling.

“Summer, you’re my fucking love child!” She suddenly screeched, throwing her hands in the air. And there was silence. I was shocked, really shocked. But I knew I wasn’t the one who was taking it the worst. It was Harry. I looked at him, mouth agape and eyes wider than ever.

“How...” Zack couldn’t even finish his sentence.

“This is some freaky shit.” Trevor blurted and Jeremy covered his mouth again. I ignored them and watched Zack’s mom expectantly. She had a lot of explaining to do.

“Harry.” She walked up to Zack who looked like he was about to cry and placed her hand on his shoulder. “Remember when you were really young and Dad and I left you with your grandma for the longest time?” I listened intently as Zack nodded slowly.

“It wasn’t because we had business to do. Our marriage was on the rocks.” She wiped her teary eyes and continued. “We needed time apart. And that’s when I met her father.” She looked at me and smiled sadly.

“You kept this from me for practically 20 fucking years?” Zack shot back, fists clenching.

“Please, Zack, just let me finish.” His mom pleaded.

“He was a great man, charming and talented.” More tears flowed down her cheeks. “And then you came along, Summer. But then Zack’s dad wanted to give our marriage a shot again and so we did. But I had to give you up.”

“Why?” I mouthed. Why did she decide to give me up? Why did she rather be with Zack instead? Why would she return to Zack’s dad if she loved my father so much?

“Because...” She paused dramatically while the rest of us watched in complete utter silence. “Zack’s father promised me my dream career if I agreed to cover up this mistake. We could just continue living our lives, saving our faces.”

“But I’m your daughter.” I whispered. She didn’t reply but instead stared into blank space. “And I always believed my mother left me there for a good reason.” I whispered, glaring deep into her wide set eyes.

No one says anything, the three of us standing in a distorted circle. I glance at Zack’s pale face, then at Mrs Merrick’s wrinkles, and then back at Zack. Almost on cue, thunder echoed in the night sky and as I lift my head up towards the heavens, the first drop of rain pelted onto my forehead.

“You know, fuck this.” I announced loudly with my eyes closed. “But I really need to thank you.” She finally found a bolt of courage to look up at me.

“Thank you for leaving me there. Else I wouldn’t have grown to be who I am now, as successful as I am now. Sure, the road to what I am now was hard. I was looked down upon, bullied, I stole, I broke the law, I didn’t even complete my education, and I had no money. But at least I met these 3 guys. And they showed me that everything was okay, as long as I was being myself.” By now, thick salty tears were running down my face. The fact that I was pretending to be someone else to Alex only made me cry harder, disappointed at such a failure I was.

The people we meet in our lives are always there for a reason. Today, I found out one of that reasons.
♠ ♠ ♠
UPDATE!!!! Yay!