Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer

Chapter Twenty

We jogged over to the passenger side of the car and he opened the door to let me in. I stepped inside and James shut the door as he walked over to the driver seat. He swiftly got in the car and slammed the door shut. I turned around in my seat so that my whole torso was facing him.

“So where are we going?” I asked eagerly, practically bouncing up and down my seat.

James started the car, but he didn’t drive first. He turned around, so that he was facing me as well. “Have you heard of First Time beach?”

I cocked my head to the side. “No, I don’t think so. Why? What’s so good about it?”

A smile broke out on his face. “You’ll see.” He turned away from me to put on his seatbelt. I followed his example, and waited as he pulled out from the curb and started driving along the main road.

“Can you at least tell me one special thing about the beach?” I questioned, looking at his profile. He looked almost breath-taking under the moonlight; I found it hard to look away. I silently thanked God for having Ranger out of the house. At least I didn’t have to go home too early.

The side of his lips turned up into another smile. “You’re not one for surprise are you?” He gave me a mocking glance before he faced the road again.

I scrunched my face. “I am. I’m just insanely curious.”

“Trust me. You’ll love it.”

“What happens if I don’t?” I teased, grinning widely. It was natural. I didn’t have to force myself to smile around him. And I thought the date wasn’t a good idea. Pshhh.

The car stopped under a red light. James turned to look at me with an eyebrow raised. “I… bet you will.”

Oh? “What are you willing to bet?” My eyebrow rose as well, in challenge.

He smirked. “A kiss.”

I stared at him, taken aback. He sure was direct. Was I ready to do this, though? I mean, this was just our first date. Would a kiss be going too fast?

Oh, come on. You know you want to.

No, you don’t.

Oh, but you do. Look at those lips of his. Those pale, pink, kissable delicious lips. Imagine feeling them moving with yours. Don’t you want that? You know you want that.

You took about a week before you finally kissed Kent. What, you’re just going to give it to James after only one date?

Greaaaaaat. Now I had a new voice. What was this one’s name?

Belle.

Where’d she get the name from?

Campbell. Remember when this boy in middle school called you Belle, just to make you angry? What was his name again- Alex, was it?

Oh, I remembered Alex. The little devil. He used to tease me all the time because of my two front teeth. He was this cute chubby boy with blond hair and blue eyes. Now that I thought about him, he was actually absolutely adorable. But when I was younger, I used to tease him about his chubbiness.

I smiled sub-consciously, feeling nostalgistic about the memory.

“Ashlynn?” I snapped out of my trance and saw a waving hand in front of my face.

I turned my head to catch James darting his head back and forth between looking at the road and at me. The car was already moving, the traffic light gone far behind us.

“Sorry. Was I out long?” I laughed.

James took his hand away and gave me a cheeky grin before turning back to the road.

I leaned back on my seat and concentrated on James’ side profile. I sighed inwardly. He really was hot. It was no wonder all the girls wanted him.

I wasn’t one of them. He was hot, sure, but I guess I just didn’t want him like that. He didn’t really make my hormones go all jumpy like… okay. His name will not be mentioned anytime during this date ever.

I wonder what he was doing. Was he thinking of me like I was thinking of him? I smiled at the thought, before it really processed into my brain at what I was really asking myself. I groaned. He was never going to stop invading my thoughts, was he? I leaned closer to the dashboard, and started banging my head against it. Hopefully, that would get rid of the stupid fantasies.

“We’re here.” James turned the steering wheel and stuck his head out of the window to check out the space he was parking at. I lifted my head up from the dashboard and looked behind me.

There were other cars at the car park. Not too many considering it was almost ten at night. The scene behind me was too dark for me to see anything specific. There were silhouettes of trees and outdoor lamps. Further away from the car, I could see waves lapping onto the shore and the beautiful glittering water under the moonlight.

James turned the ignition off as soon as he parked the car. He turned and unlocked the doors, getting out of his car. I opened the passenger door and stepped out of the car, shutting the door of the red Honda Civic behind me. I was immediately greeted by the night breeze blowing on my face.

“Come here.” James smiled and beckoned me from the other side of the car. I grinned and skipped over to him, holding the hand that he was offering me. He led the way while I walked slightly behind him.

We walked across the grass, which was thankfully not muddy and walked a little bit more before I started to see the sand beneath my slippers. I took off my slippers and placed them at one side to feel the sand underneath my feet. This sand was much softer than the one I went to with the gang. This sand felt like silk and I slowly bent down to feel them with my fingers.

I released James’ hand and scooped up a handful of sand and felt them slipping through my fingers. I didn’t know why, but I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. It was really smooth.

I looked up at James and beamed at him, showing him the handful of sand I was holding. “Look, James. It’s so soft.”

He smiled at me. He was very generous with his smiles that day. Not that I minded. They were something to look at. His smile wasn’t a conceited one; it was one of amusement.

He slipped his hand in mine and pulled me up gently, the sand falling from our intertwined fingers. He motioned toward the sea with his head and walked towards it.

I gasped softly, at the beautiful sight that was in front of me. The sea looked absolutely magical underneath the moonlight. It was a mirror of the sky above us. The sea was reflecting the glittering stars up above.

I dipped my right foot into the sea. It wasn’t too high; it was just above my ankle. I released James’ hand once more and walked towards the water. Both of my feet were already in it, as James walked to stand next to me.

“You like it?” He whispered into my ear, his cool breath making me close my eyes.

“It’s absolutely perfect.” I whispered back. This kind of place seemed too magical and fairytale-like to be true. I didn’t want it to go away, so it was best to speak quietly. I didn’t want to disturb the place.

“I told you, you’d like it. So, pay up.” He held my hand and turned around so that we were both facing each other.

Pay up? Oh, the bet.

Are you sure you want to do this, Ash?

Oh shut up, Belle. Just kiss him already, Ashlynn!

I held his left hand with my right, and looked up at his face. There was a hint of a smirk in his face. Of course there would be. Nobody loses in this bet.

I gave him a small smirk as I stood up on my tiptoes. James closed his eyes and waited for me to kiss him. My smirk got bigger. I wasn’t going to do anything… first.

Five seconds passed before he opened one of his eyes to peek. A giggle escaped my lips. I couldn’t help it. He was anticipating something I wasn’t starting. He chuckled before pressing his lips on mine.

His lips were soft and warm on mine. I released both of his hands, placed my right hand on his waist and my left on his neck as I reached closer to him.

It wasn’t too long before James started nibbling my bottom lip, asking for my entrance. I pulled away slowly, and looked him in the eye. “That’s too fast.” I spoke quietly, smiling at him.

He nodded and whispered. “Sorry.” He leaned closer to me and touched his forehead to mine.

I closed my eyes to even out my breathing. I thought it was great that James didn’t push the subject. He pulled away and dragged me gently back to the shore. He lay down on the beach and rested both hands behind his head.

I flopped down on the sand next to him and hugged my knees loosely, staring into the sea.

I turned my head to look at James, who was staring at me. “How’d you find out about this place?”

He shrugged. “My boys and I went here for a party once. It’s a cool place.”

“I know.” I straightened my legs as I lay down next to him. He shifted a little closer to me, and I couldn’t help thinking of the time Kent brought me to the park and when we lay down next to each other.

I blinked. Sleep was beginning to pull me in, but I didn’t want to go under it yet. The night was so beautiful.

“James.”

“Yeah?”

“What time is it?”

“Almost eleven. Why?”

Weird. I hardly felt sleepy around this time.

“Nothing.”

James moved again, except this time, he was attempting to hold my left hand. I gave his hand a squeeze as soon as it found mine.

I blinked once more. I was getting sleepier by the second.

“Ashlynn.” He whispered, putting his arm around my shoulders without letting go of my hand.

“Hmmm?”

“Good night, beautiful.”

I blinked again, but this time, I didn’t open my eyes .
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry this took so long.
But how was it?