Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer

Chapter twenty-seven

I snapped my eyes open and tightened my grip on his shirt. My back was hunched and my eyes were looking around my surrounding in panic. I began to relax when I realized I was just at home. I tilted my head a little to ensure that it was Kent I was sitting on. I smiled in relief when I saw his face.

I don’t think he knew I was awake; he was just watching the TV silently. I cuddled against his chest and I felt him rubbing my back silently. I closed my eyes to try to sleep again, but I couldn't. The dream was still so fresh in my head.

"Come on. I'm not going to hurt you." James persuaded, trying to grab my left hand.
"I know. But I’m not in the mood, James." I answered softly, trying to pull my hand away.
He smiled shyly at me, before he pressed his lips on mine. I sighed inwardly, but kissed him back.

I pulled away to catch my breath. "James-" I tried to stop him, but he cut me off by kissing me once again.

He was rougher now. He wrapped his arms around my back and kept me close to his chest. I moved my hands to his chest to push him away. I only managed to stop him from kissing my lips; his lips moved to my neck instead.

“James.” I was out of breath, but my voice was louder this time. I opened my mouth to stop him from kissing me any further, but he stopped me by placing his lips on mine again. I wasn’t slow in my reactions now. I tried to push him away from me, but he wouldn’t budge. Instead, he caught both my hands in one of his.

His kisses turned urgent and harder. I really started to panic now. James took his lips away from mine to kiss my jaw line. “I want you so much, right now.” He murmured against my neck, nuzzling it.

“No. Go away!” I tore my hands from his and started to punch him continuously on his chest. James merely smirked at me before he pushed my body to the ground and moved on top of me. He rested his weight on his knees as he ducked his down to kiss me again. I moved my hands to start hitting him again, but he must have predicted it. Without breaking the kiss, he pinned my hands to the ground, restricting my movements.

I didn’t stop struggling though. I tried kicking him but his knees locked mine in place. It was at that point of time, my guardian angel came to me. He knocked James away from me. I don’t normally condone violence, but I didn’t try to stop him as he started to punch James.

James knew he couldn’t take my guardian angel on. He glared at me with his now bloody lips and disappeared. I turned to look at my hero. As soon as his eyes met mine, I couldn’t help but utter a sigh. “Kent.”


I opened my eyes then, and I couldn’t stop a shiver from going down my spine. Kent must have noticed for he ducked his head to look at me.

“Hey.” He murmured, giving me a small smile.

I grinned at him. “Hey.” I leaned forward to give him a quick kiss.

He gave me a squeeze as I settled myself comfortably against him.

“What have you been doing since I’ve been asleep?” I asked, watching the TV along with him. They were playing some black-and-white classic movie.

I felt him shrug. “Nothing much. I dozed off a few times, but I was basically watching the TV.”

“Weren’t you bored?”

“Not really. I had Harvey to keep me company.”

I frowned. I hadn’t noticed Harvey at all. I turned my head to search for him, but I couldn’t find anybody in the house except for me and Kent.

“He went home.” Kent answered, seeming to have read my thoughts. “About a half hour before you woke up.”

“Why-”

I didn’t have to ask that question either. “I don’t know why but he called after we came here. After you went to sleep. He asked where I was and pretty much spazzed when I told him I was at your place. He wouldn’t believe I’d be good.”

I couldn’t help grinning at that. “Were you good?”

“Unfortunately.” His voice told me he was smiling, though.

I tilted my face up to catch Kent staring at me in amusement. I placed my hand on his cheek and brought his face down to mine.

Our kiss wasn’t a make-out session or anything, but it was distracting enough that I didn’t hear the front door open.

“Ahem.” I heard someone clearing their throat from behind me and I broke away from the kiss, whipping my head around to see who it was.

There stood my dad -frowning with his arms across his chest-, my mom -who was raising her eyebrow at me- and Ranger, who was leaning against the wall, smirking. Their bags were cluttered around the foot of the stairs, so they must have been here for quite a while.

“Hi parents.” I waved sheepishly, getting of Kent’s lap and walking towards them.

“Folks, this is my… This is Kent.” I didn’t really know what to introduce him as; I don’t think he’s my boyfriend just yet. Saying he’s just my friend would definitely be a lie.

Kent gave an embarrassed smile and shook both their hands, before he turned back to me. “I think I should go now. Goodnight, Ranger. Mr and Mrs Perez.” He probably knew kissing me would be a bad idea so he just waved before he left.

“Ash-”My dad started, but I rushed to my mom with open arms. “Mother. I haven’t seen you in so long!” I enveloped her in a bear hug, and she laughed.

“Smart move, dear.” She whispered in my ear. I winked at her, before hugging my dad and moving to Ranger.

“Hey, big brother. How was it?” I pulled him in a hug and kissed his cheek.

“Not too bad. Would have been more fun if you were around.” He wrapped his arms around me and gave a squeeze.

I laughed, before pulling back. “Damn straight!”

I looked to the rest of my family and faked a yawn. “Well then. I’m really tired and I know all of you are too. So, I’m going to bed now.”

Just as I turned my dad started again. “We need to talk, Ashlynn.” He repeated sternly.

“Goodnight.” I greeted before dashing up the stairs and closing my bedroom floor. No matter what I had just said, I knew I was going to have a hard time sleeping.
♠ ♠ ♠
And I'm done.