Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer

Chapter three

RING!

Finally! The bell FINALLY rang after an agonizing 45 minutes of watching that horrifyingly boring documentary. Fearful as to what might happen to me with Kent and I both in the same classroom, I dashed as fast as I possibly could to the cafeteria.

“Hello people!” I greeted my friends, whom were already sitting around our usual table. I might have greeted them a bit too loudly though. The whole cafeteria turned to stare at me.

“Hello.” I gave an embarrassed grin and a small wave to those who kept staring at me.

“What are you doing?” Summer whispered, dragging me to the seat next to hers.

“Nothing.”

“Hey Ash, I got you your lunch.” Harvey, who was sitting to the other side of me, pushed my tray towards me.

“Aww. Thank you.” I kissed his cheek and he blushed.

Gosh, he is so adorable! I can bet, he’s probably one of the few guys that actually still blush when they get a small peck on the cheek.

I turned towards my tray and started eating my mac n cheese.

I love Mac n Cheese. Who doesn’t honestly? It’s like the bestest thing in the world! After a big spoonful of it entered my mouth, Kent strode over to our table and stood in front of a chair across from me, carrying his tray.

“Hey. Do you guys mind if I join you?” He asked, amusement and his evil intentions shining in his eyes.

I did what you all probably would have expected to me have done. I choked. Like really choked. I was coughing and coughing. Summer tsked at me in an oh-Ashlynn-why’d-you-do-that way and patted my back. “Yeah, sure dude.” Dustin looked confused and suspicious, his eyes going back and forth between Kent and I.

I guess, I was the only one who saw the evilness behind in his eyes. Because apparently, he was allowed to sit right across from me, next to Dustin.

“Hey, I’m Summer.” Summer held out her hand for Kent to shake. “That over there is Melissa, beside her is Ranger, across from him is Olesia.”

“That’s Dustin.” She gestured towards Dustin who gave Kent the rock sign. “This here is Ashlynn and beside her is Harvey.”

“Oh, I know Ashlynn.” He assured Summer, flashing her this ridiculously stunning smile. “We had the opportunity to meet in Homeroom.”

I glowered at him.

“You okay, Ash?” Summer frowned.

“Perfect.” I replied sarcastically.

As I took another bite of my Mac n cheese, glaring at Kent the whole while, I realized I lost one of my slip-ons.

Here’s the dealio. I love to do things barefooted, so when I sat down, I immediately took off my shoes and left them on the floor, near me.

Now as I was feeling for my shoes on the floor, I realized that I had lost one of them. My eyes grew wider at the sudden grin on Kent’s face. I looked under the table and found my shoe behind both his legs.

I growled menacingly at him, and started kicking his shins. He winced after about ten kicks and grabbed my leg, in between both of his.

My glare got deathlier and I started kicking him with the other leg.

“Are you guys… kicking each other?” Summer interrupted, frowning at the both of us.

“Maaaayybeeeee….” I drawled, avoiding her eyes. Summer’s a pacifist. A big one. She doesn’t believe in hitting people without a good reason. I can bet my reason probably didn't classify as a good one.

“We’re playing footsie.” Kent lied through his teeth, throwing her another stunning smile. His smile seemed to have work.

“Is something going on here?” She inquired, a knowing smile showing up on her face.

“What?!” I practically yelled. “No way. No. Not at all. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.” I shook my head continuously.

“Riiiight.” She full-out smiled. Everybody else around the table were now staring at us, with a knowing smile on their faces.

Kent smirked at me, and gave an I-told-you,-you'd-better-be-scared grin.

I groaned and dropped my face to the table, covering it with my arms.

I can’t believe they actually think I like this devil that loves torturing me. I gave another groan and started hitting my head against the table. As cliché as it may sound, it’s still true. Why is this happening to me?!