For Better or For Worse

Part 6

Part 6

Joe woke to find Alana gone from his side. They had fallen asleep side by side in their bed. Instead of talking over how to resolve their current issues they spent their time relaxing in each other’s presence and later Alana finally got to wear that pink bustier. For the first time in a long time, they experienced the sensation that occurred when they were together. Groggily he sat up, grabbing a plain white shirt and his glasses before heading downstairs. Joe spotted Alana sitting outside on the porch swing with her knees drawn to her chest and a mug in one hand, resting on a knee. She was dressed in pajama bottoms and one of his long sleeve shirts. Her blonde hair flew widely in the light breeze. He smiled to himself, thinking how beautiful she looked.

He let the door to the porch creak as to not startle her.

“Morning, beautiful.” He said leaning to kiss her forehead.

“Hi, handsome,” She leaned in towards him. “You look so sexy with your tousled hair and glasses. I just love that rough, morning voice too.”

“Really?” Joe sat beside her on the swinging, purposely deepening his voice.

“Mhm,” she murmured.

He nuzzled her neck and gave a quick kiss, “You were pretty sexy last night. And this morning." He took the mug from her hand and allowed himself a quick sip of what he knew would be hot chocolate, since Alana did not drink coffee or tea. He then placed the cup carefully on the porch floor.

Joe kissed Alana forcefully and she responded like he knew she would. Her hands flew to his hair, her fingers tangled in his curls. With one hand, Joe grabbed Alana from under her leg and anchored her onto his lap. Strategically, he placed one hand under her shirt and let it roam her bare chest.

“Stop,” Alana said suddenly.

“Why?” Joe asked looking alarmed.

“We can’t do this outside!”

“Don’t worry about it!” he grinned wickedly and began kissing her neck.

“Joe,” she sighed, not really wanting him to stop. She knew he could tell. “I’m serious.”

He pulled back, “Fine. If not out here,” he stood, carrying her in his arms, “We’ll go inside.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Alana laughed, “Joe, wait. Put me down please.” He placed her gently on her feet. “We really need to talk.”

“Now?” Joe asked, not because he didn’t want to talk, but it was clear that he wanted to finish what they had just started moments ago. Alana nodded. He sat back on the swing and she followed.

“You’re still worried about us, aren’t you?” Joe asked knowingly.

“A bit,” she admitted before launching into her biggest concerns. For the next two hours Alana and Joe talked about their marriage, feelings, apprehensions, and solutions. Together they had come to an understanding and reached a resolution that satisfied them both.

Alana cried tears of joy. She was so thankful that Joe was willing to fight for their marriage, for their love, for her, at the time she was ready to give up. It pained her to think that she almost had. She would be forever remorseful.

Joe held Alana tightly to him as she cried. Tears even formed in his own eyes. He knew he and Alana would be able to work through this. They just needed to do it together.
As Alana calmed down, Joe pulled back slightly so he could see her.

“I have an idea,” he said.

“Oh yeah?” Alana asked grinning at the possibilities.

“Let’s get married,” Joe said.

“We are married, you dork.”

“Let’s get married again. We’ll have our family and friends there. We can have a real wedding.”

“Really?” Alana lit up.

“Yeah,” Joe said eagerly, “Why not?” Alana couldn’t think of a single opposition. She nodded. Joe grew serious.

“Alana Rose Jonas, will you marry me…again?”

Alana smiled, “I will.” Gently she brushed her lips over his.
­
~//~

Joe and Alana planned to have a ceremony to renew their vows in a small church later that same month as Joe and his brothers had the time off. With the help of her best friend, and maid of
honor, Alana had everything ready and was stressed- free.

On the day of the ceremony, families and friends gathered in the church. This was the first
time Alana and Joe would exchange vows with their loved ones present.

From a back room, Alana heard music playing softly. Joe was taking his place at the altar with Nick and Kevin, his best men, at his side. Frankie had opted to watch rather participate. Neither Joe nor Alana could blame him, for a boy Frankie’s age weddings were only one thing, boring. Payton, in her red A-line maid of honor dress, looked at Alana.

“Ready?” Payton grinned.

“Ready,” Alana said returning a smile.

“You look beautiful, Lana.”

“Thanks.” Quickly, the two embraced, “Remember something, please?”

Payton was puzzled, “What?"

“When you’re about to walk down the aisle and your eyes meet Nick’s, can you not drool?”

“What!” Payton gasped.

“I saw you two staring at each other at his last tux fitting.”

Payton didn’t respond. Instead, she and Alana took their places. The music changed, cuing Payton to begin walking down the aisle. Alana watched for a moment before everyone stood and she started down the aisle, locking eyes with Joe. She felt the tears threatening to spill at any moment.

She never saw her mother, her father, or even Kevin Sr. who stood at the end waiting to marry his son and daughter-in –law. She only saw Joe.

And Joe only saw her. She was stunning in her strapless, white gown. Her hair was down, loosely curled at the ends. As he watched her, tears began to glisten in his soft, brown eyes.
As she neared, Joe outstretched his hand to her. She took her final steps with his hand in hers.

Kevin Sr. looked down at both of them smiling, before speaking to everyone.

“Joe and Alana have asked us to gather here today, not as witnesses, but as supporters as they continue their lives as husband and wife. Once again Joseph and Alana, you come together to be joined in matrimony. You took each other for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, and for better and for worse. Today do you repeat that promise?”

“We do.”

“Joseph, you circled Alana’s finger with this ring, as a sign of unbroken love and as a promise of care and concern without end. Today do you repeat that promise and take Alana again to yourself as God’s gift to you?”

“I do,” Joe whispered, afraid if he spoke louder tears would fall.

“Alana, you circled Joseph’s finger with this ring, as a sign of unbroken love and as a promise of care and concern without end. Today do you repeat that promise and take Joseph again to yourself as God’s gift to you?”

Alana beamed, “I do.”

At this time, Joe and Alana exchanged their rings. As a surprise, Joe presented Alana not with her original, solid band, but with a platinum, princess cut, three diamonds ring. It was the ring she always imagined. She mouthed a thank you to Joe before Kevin Sr. spoke again.

“Joe and Alana have selected the following vows to pledge at this time. Joseph?”

"Alana, you are my best friend, but in the past I have taken you for granted. I have put others before you. And I have often been wrong. On the other hand, I have always loved you and stood beside you. I am here today to once again declare my dedication to you, our love, and our lives together. I promise to be there for you in all that life brings our way. I promise to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you, laugh with you and grow with you in mind and spirit, and always be open and honest with you. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. It is because of you that I am here today and I vow to give you all that I am and all that I have for the rest of our eternal lives. This is my solemn promise to you."

Alana had to choke back tears before she could begin.

“The decision to commit to you is one I make happily and with full confidence in our love. Secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you. Whatever lies ahead, good or bad, we will face together. Distance may test us for a time, and time may try us. But if we look to each other first, we will always see a friend. Joe, look to me for all the days to come. Today, I, still take my place as your wife. I continue to give myself as I am and as I will be, and I do it for all of eternity.” Joe gave her hand a loving squeeze as she concluded her vow.

"Your gift to each other for your wedding today has been your wedding rings, which shall always be an outward demonstration of your vows of love and respect; and a public showing of your commitment to each other. You may go on continuing to have what remains the most honorable title which may exist between a man and a woman, the title of ‘husband’ and ‘wife’. Joseph, please kiss your wife.”

Joe cupped both sides of Alana’s face with his hands. Slowly and gently he brought her towards him. He stared at her for a moment.

“I love you.” He pressed his lips onto hers. When they broke apart, Alana smiled.

“And I love you.”

Different day, same story: a story of love.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end!