The Accident

Chapter 2

My mother would not stop talking. Blah blah blah blah blah… I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I couldn’t hear a word she was saying. Luckily for me, Dr Chen walked into the room soon after my mother started her silent rant. I could tell by the look on Dr Chen’s face that she was upset that she had to be the bearer of bad news twice in a matter of hours. She tried to calm Mom down; offered her a seat, a cup of tea, the usual so that she could deliver a bolt from the blue. My dad was nothing to worry about; a take-no-prisoners, tough cookie who hardly ever shows emotion. When I could hear, I heard people call him ‘stone-heart’ countless of times.

As Dr Chen explained the situation to my parents I could see the different emotions flooding their faces. Surprise, denial, confusion, anger. Anger? This will not end well. I know that they blame Ryan for what happened, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. My mother, emotional and dramatic as she is, just sat there looking at me, Dr Chen and then staring out of the window. My father, Kevin ‘Stone-Heart’ Carlson, cried. I could see the silent tears rolling down his cheek.
“Dad,” I said sadly, ”Ryan didn’t do anything wrong. I made a stupid mistake by unbuckling my seatbelt, and…” Something had just occurred to me… “What about that ass-hole who rammed into us!? Is anyone doing anything about that!?” My parents looked at me, surprised- I had just started shouting.
“RYAN! RYAN! Ryan come back here!”
My dad stood up and held my shoulders, pinning me to the bed. It looked like he was trying to calm me down, but it hurt like hell.
Dr Chen and a few nurses came running into my room, it probably sounded like I was having a fit or something. Even though I can’t hear myself screaming, I can feel my throat getting dry. The nurse leaned over me. What’s that in her hand?
“Oi! What do you think you’re doing?” I yelled at her.
I wasn’t able to protest any more- because I soon found out what it was in her hand… Damn those sedatives…