All The Lost Souls

Moral Ambivalence at it's Best

Ruby

Curling up into the fetal position is not as comforting as some might think. I had my knees up and my chin resting upon them and was still not feeling better about having to “take care of” my shooter; Sammael was his name, according to Dad at least. The idea of being a spy for my father’s company had me on edge ever since I’d found out the night before. After Dad had left, I’d dropped to the couch and basically haven’t moved since. I spent the passing hours staring out the floor-to-ceiling windows of my apartment, letting my mind wander.

I was a little hesitant to get so close to Sammael, since he was formidable enough to hold his own in a fight with one of the infected, and he seemed very trigger-happy (my aching shoulder would not let me forget this fact). Even though a majority of my brain was screaming that Sammael was a bad guy and what I was going to do was the right thing, but I couldn’t let go of the idea that the people my orders were coming from were infected and extremely unholy.

The door opened and Nathan sauntered in, his air of self-confidence emanating out of him to the point where I wanted to slap him for being so smug. His attitude annoyed the fuck out of me, for lack of a better term, and he just seemed to keep appearing in my life, despite my best intentions. Wait a minute, I thought, he didn’t even knock!

“What the hell is this?” I shouted, invasions of privacy aside he really annoyed me.

His eyes widened in surprise to my outburst. “What the hell is what?” he asked, then turned smug, “and I must say, that’s one of the most unorthodox greetings I’ve heard in a while.”

“Well you don’t just walk into someone’s house uninvited. You didn’t even knock,” I replied, trying my most menacing stare, “and, to be honest, I’m really sick of these house-calls. Why can’t you just leave me the fuck alone?”

“Firstly, the reason I’m here is because I’m going to be the one to take care of you while you partake in this “mission”, and no, I’m not happy about it either. I’m a high-powered corporate executive and I’m stuck babysitting a snobby little bitch!” he shouted.

My hand shot out before I could even stop myself and the slap let out a sound that resonated throughout the apartment. Even before I went to hit him, I knew it wasn’t smart. It was never a good idea to make an infected mad.

“How dare you!” Nathan shouted, his face literally contorting in rage, his demonic one, of course.

I didn’t even realize what had happened until I was flying across the room. I landed awkwardly on the arm of the couch and toppled to the floor. I lay on the floor gasping for air and reeling from what had just happened. Nathan had used one of the various gifts he inherited from his demonic guest, telekinesis. I stood on shaky legs, taking deep breaths in an attempt to refill my lungs, but Nathan was already before me and I was shoved against a wall, Nathan’s hand around my throat, cutting off the oxygen.

“Who do you think you are, to slap me, when I could just as easily rib your intestines out and strangle you with them?” His eyes were wide with rage and he looked like he was going to kill me right then and there. His grip around my throat was like a vice and I could feel myself slipping away. Then something really weird happened.

Nathan pressed his lips onto mine in a vicious kiss. I knew from the moment his lips touched mine that this wasn’t good. The kiss was rough, aggressive and I tried to break free, but his unnatural strength held me in place. I braced my arms against his chest and tried to pry him off, but I could get no leverage. I felt myself panic when his hands began to wander across my chest. I pushed against him with all my might and, much to my amazement and relief, he fell away from me and I was free.

“What the fuck are you doing?” I managed to cough out. My neck felt tender and sore and a bruise was beginning to form. My voice was nothing but a raspy wheeze and I couldn’t stop coughing.

Nathan was smiling. “You wanted it, I know you did. You act like I disgust you, but I can see right through it; you want me and you can’t deny it.”

“You have no idea how far from the truth you are,” I said coldly, all the hatred I felt for this thing poured into my voice, “I hate you with every fiber of my being. You are disgusting excuse for a human being and I would kill you right here if I knew how.”

“If believing that makes you feel better, fine,” Nathan said in his smug tone, “but I know you want me. And I will have you.”

I couldn’t even bring myself to speak, the idea of me lusting after that thing made me gag. I feebly shook my head at the suggestion, but was able to form two words. “Get out.”

“Fine, I’ll go,” Nathan said, holding up his hands in a sign of defeat, “but I’m the one who has to look out for you when you meet Sammael. I’ll be back for you tonight at 8:30. Make sure you’re ready by then; you mission will begin.” With that, he turned and left, slamming the door behind him.

I was in shock. Nathan had just attacked me, in more ways than one. I could still feel the crushing weight of his body shoved against my own, and the scratchy soreness around my throat. I walked over and sat mindlessly on the couch, my thoughts travelling at a million miles a second. I was disgusted that I’d been forced upon by an infected, but I wasn’t sure if I completely hated it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bum, bum, bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Sorry for the delayed post, just been really lazy lately.