Freaks and Fortune

11

The wooden steps leading up to the front door of the Freak's cabin squeaked all of a sudden. My eyes flew open, the lids feeling dull and heavy. My nap had been rudely interrupted! I heard footsteps shuffling heavily up them, hesitating before stopping at the door.

"Are you sure nobody's in here?" a strangely familiar voice asked.
"Yeah, they're all doing shows right now," another voice that I couldn't place answered. "I should know, I've got the schedules."

Anthony?

"Alright... Okay, okay, let's go."
"Hold your elephants, man, it's locked," the voice that sounded like Anthony's sighed.

Hold your elephants? Ravi, probably.

From my position on the bed, I could look up through the blinds and see a portion of their torsos. My suspicions were confermed. Anthony had on the ratty grey v-necked shirt that he loved so much. Ravi was in full-out Acrobat gear and I guessed that he either just finished a show and was on a break, or that he was just about to start.

Anthony fished in his pockets, just out of my view and jammed the key into the lock. I giggled in anticipation, ready to yell, "Boo!"

But I didn't.

Anthony shoved on the sticky door with his shoulder and burst into the room. Playfully, he sharply turned around and grabbed a large handful of Ravi's colored hair. Laughing softly, the two stumbled into the middle of the room, taking no notice of me.

"Ouch," Ravi laughed, more of a statement than an exclamation.

Anthony tugged his hair, pulling him closer, and placed a hand on Ravi's neck.

This was when all the odd body language was explained. This was when the suspicious fight was explained. This was when the tension between the two was explained.

They kissed.

My jaw dropped and I distantly heard myself say, "Oh my God."

They broke apart with a jolt. Ravi jumped back, wrenching his hair from Anthony's grasp. He looked horrified.

Ravi made a break for the door, but Anthony stopped him, grabbing his arm and yanking him back. They couldn't take their eyes off me, as shocked to see me as I was to see them. Anthony croaked, then recovered the power of speech.

"Ivy?" he asked. "I thought..."
"They gave me the day off to move in," I said breathlessly. "Excuse me, but... Were you two just...?"

Ravi's was clearly afraid and defensive. His arms were folded and his chest was angled towards Anthony, away from me. His head hung down to hide his deep scowl.

"Yeah," Anthony said slowly, keeping an eye on Ravi, who kept glancing at the door. "But... I can explain. We can explain."

Ravi took a step towards the exit again, but Anthony reached out calmly and tugged his sleeve.

"Stay," he muttered.

I slowly got up out of bed and pulled on a hoodie. The boys were collecting their thoughts, so I stayed silent, letting them think.

"Are you upset?" Ravi asked, avoiding my eyes.
"Yes!" I shouted.

Anthony looked disappointed and scared.

"My gay-dar is normally so accurate!" I screeched, trying not to laugh.
"Don't joke, Ivy," Ravi scolded.
Anthony, however, chuckled softly.

"I would have never guessed..." I mused. "Why didn't you guys tell me? I think it's great that you're together... And you two make such a cute couple! If you had told me earlier-"
"Well, we haven't really told anyone..."
"Oh no..." I breathed. "How long have you kept this a secret?"
"Ten months," Ravi answered quietly. He darted a quick look at me, then turned to Anthony. "Ten months, right?"
"Just about."

Ten months? They'd been secretly dating for ten months? How could they stand the tension? Had they been sneaking around, kissing in empty rooms for that long? Questions buzzed like drunken bees in my mind. The boys kept glancing at each other nervously.

"Oh, Anthony," I groaned. "What about Nina?"
Ravi tensed.

It was clear to see that Nina was infatuated with Anthony. He, obviously, remained the indifferent party but... He was clearly leading her on.

"Um," Anthony stuttered awkwardly. "What about Nina?"
"Well... I thought you two were going out?"
"I told you that's what people think!" Ravi muttered, a crease forming between his brows.
"No... No, we're not dating. I just flirt with her."
"A lot."
"I'm a people's person. I flirt."
"A lot."
"Shut up, Ravs."

"Is that what the fight was about?" I questioned. "Sorry. I don't mean to pry... But I sort of overheard that fight..."
"Yeah. It was about her," Anthony nodded. "Among other things."

"Maybe I could help?" I asked, curious.

"Ant wants everyone to know!" Ravi exploded. "You know... About us. I mean... Imagine my father!"
"Imagine mine!" Anthony retorted. "He runs the damn thing! Piccadilly's Family Circus, Ravs, that's me!"
He huffed. "I don't see why we've got to-"
"We don't have to do anything. You won't-"
"I know. And... You know that it's killing me, right? I only want for us-"
"I know. I just wish you'd lighten up. It's getting to be-"
"No, it's not!"

"Boys!" I shouted, interrupting the scarily in tune sentence-finishing argument. "Don't tell me that I'm the only one who knows about this?"
"You're not," Ravi answered, shaking his head.
"Really?"
"Yeah, two other people are in on it."
"Who's that?"
"Anthony and me."
♠ ♠ ♠
AAAH! Okay, so now I'm allowed to tell you (finally!) that Ravi is based off of Luke and Anthony is based off of Ant.

You guys remember, them, right? They're these guys who went to my school. They're in Ireland right now. I sometimes get postcards that are positively beautiful! (The postcards AND the boys!)

I'm glad I finally got to do gay characters. I have so many gay friends that it's probably about time, huh?

If it offends you, I appologize.

Well, not really. Deal with it.

Love,
Sophie!