Freaks and Fortune

22

"Ivy... Ivy, you don't know what you're saying," Aqua soothed. "Just relax, lay back."
"No," I said, getting out of bed. "I'm going to go tell Mr. Piccadilly."

Savannah grabbed my hands and kept me from going anywhere.

"You're upset. Angry. You should really think about this, Ivy... It's a big decision."
I smiled at her. "I don't need to think about it. Really. I'm tired. I'm going home."

I tried not to look at Cal but, in the corner of my eye, I could see him looking horrified. He was sitting stock still, straight up in his hammock. His mouth was open slightly and taught with anxiety.

I walked out the door in a motion that seemed to be fluid and seamless. Everyone stared in wonder. I stepped out into the dry heat and took a satisfying breath. Behind me, I could hear Savannah yelling.

"Do not follow her, Cal! I swear to God-"
"It's my fault she's leaving, I have to!"
"She is going to kill you!"

I began walking, leaving the shouts from inside the cabin behind. About half way to Mr. Piccadilly's office, I heard heavy feet crunching in the dead grass. I knew it was Cal from the smell of diesel he brought into the air.

"Ivy," he panted, tired from running. "Ivy, hear me out."

I ignored him.

"Come on," he pleaded, grabbing my arm. "Is it me? What's going on? Fill me in here, babe!"
I shook his hand off my arm. "I'm just tired, Cal."
"Bullshit!"

I glared at him and walked faster. He followed me, sweating in the early morning heat. He paused momentarily and shrugged out of his jacket, then jogged to make up for lost time. Mr. Piccadilly's office was visible in the distance, I was renewed with a fresh wave of determination.

Cal kept pleading behind me, pulling at my arm and trying to get me to stop walking. I marched right up to Mr. Piccadilly's office and knocked purposefully.

"Ivy Fortune, I swear to God-" he began, accidentally using my fake name.
"Mr. Picadilly, I'm coming in!" I yelled, charging inside the unlocked cabin.

A cool breeze washed over my face as I opened the door. The room was cold and crisp and... empty.

"Don't listen to her, Mr. P!" Cal was shouting from outside, banging on the door. "Don't let her go! She's bringing in more money than-"
"Would you shut up!" I yelled, flinging open the door. "He's not here."

Cal's mouth snapped shut. His lips curled into a grin.

"Guess you're going to have to put off quitting until tomorrow. In the meantime, how about you stop moving for five seconds and let me talk?"
"Annoying me is not the way to go today, Calvin," I quipped, taking off toward the fairgrounds.
"Okay, I'll leave you alone after you hear me out... Where are we going?"
"I'm going to the ticket booth. Anthony is doing a shift there and his dad might be visiting him."

Cal followed behind me like an anxious puppy.

"First we need to find the root of the problem-"
"Easy," I interrupted him. "It's you."
He ignored me and rolled on. "Was it the bending? Did that shock you?"
"No, I haven't had a chance to think about that yet."
"Well, it's normal, just so you know. There are people all over the world who have it. I'm kind of an extreme case, but I've learned-"
"Don't care."

My strides were becoming longer. I had about a half-mile to cover to get to the entrance of the Carnival and I didn't want to have to listen to Cal for much longer.

"Okay.. Okay then," he said, pushing his sweaty bangs back into his hair. "Was it the kiss I gave you?"
I was silent, power walking and breathing evenly.
"It really didn't count. I didn't plan on kissing you, even. I do like Savannah. Really, I do. I was only coming to ask you if I could talk to you after your shift ended. I had this little speech planned... Aqua and Sav kept bugging me about telling you that I could bend. But... When you said you wouldn't kiss me, I felt like you were giving me a... I don't know, a challenge, I guess."

"Cal," I said slowly, turning around to face him. "I. Don't. Care."

He gritted his teeth and grabbed my shoulders.

"Than what is it for christsakes! Why the hell do you want to leave?"
I was shocked by the angry glint in his eyes. "I don't know," I mumbled.

He didn't hear me.

"What? Snow? You want snow?"
"No!" I yelled, shaking him off me. "You don't understand!"

I continued walking. I could hear his feet pound behind me... I started running. Cal got angry and chased after me. It wasn't long before I was flying across the ground, weaving in and out of people so fast I could hardly see them.

"Ivy!" I heard Cal yell from somewhere behind me. He wasn't as good at avoiding people as I was. "Ivy, wait!"

And there it was. Right in front of me... The Ticket Booth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

I haven't talked to Gui yet... But I'm going to figure out what I want first. So... that's the first step.

And I wrote two journals... So check them out if you're in need of reading material!

Love,
Sophie