I Hope to God He Was Worth It

Football Tryouts

Image

---

"Derek!" I screamed across the lunch room as he sat alone at a random table.

Odd, for someone who looked like himself.
Then again, this is a high class high school.

"Come here!" I motioned for him to come join Brendon, Ryan, and I.

He obliged and came to our table scooching into a seat next to me.
I introduced Derek to Ryan and Brendon who got stares and some giggles from some senior girls walking by.

"Heard you were trying out for football Ryan, what position?" Derek asked as he picked through his lunch.
"Quarterback, yourself?" Ryan answered and asked as the both continued on with the conversation as Brendon and I kept switching each other's lunch.
"Brendon! Dad gave you the freaking ham sandwich so give me my damn peanut butter and jelly sandwich!" I screamed as I lunged over the lunch table tackling Brendon to the ground.
"Here, here just get off of me!" he screamed as he shoved the sandwich in my face.
"Thank you big brother." I said happily as I placed a slobbery, sloppy kiss on his cheek and got off of him.
"Weird," Derek said as he quirked an eyebrow at Brendon and me.
"They've always been like that from day one." Ryan laughed as he stole Brendon's energy drink that laid on the ground beside his foot.
"Don't tell him we're crazy just yet," Brendon said sarcastically as he brushed himself off and took his seat next Ryan again.

The bell rang motioning us to get to 4th period.

"I'll see you at tryouts Ryan." I sighed as I picked myself off up the lunch table, fixing my skirt as I saw Derek following me from the corner of my eye.
"Seems like I'm stalking you but, we both have language arts together." Derek laughed as we both headed into a classroom and took a seat in the only two seats available, in the back.

---

I sat in the bleachers watching the boys tackle each other and feel pain through there football armor, but denying every bit of it.
Ryan was doing pretty well throwing the ball to Derek whom was in the end zone as a running back.
I would love to be on the field.
Awkward yes, but I love football and two other reasons, Ryan and Derek.
I mean guys do everything and girls are the ones who cheer for them or something stupid.

"Could girls' tryout?" I asked the coach stupidly as the football team headed to the showers.
"Depends, if that girl can play, but it's strictly against school rules. You would be a good cheerleader, why don't you go try out over there?" The man said grumpily as he pointed at the girls that were mostly skinnier and prettier then me tryout for cheerleading.
"No thanks, talk to you later Mr. Rawl." I said as I gave a deep sigh and saw Derek coming out of the locker room and over to coach.
"You wanted to see me coach?" I over heard Derek ask Mr. Rawl as I hid behind the bleachers.
"Yes Derek, I wanted to tell you that you're on the football team personally. Well, because I wanted to tell you if you feel tired or sick that you should tell me alright?" Mr. Rawl said as I saw him put his hand on Derek's shoulder.
"A-Alright," Derek said as he nodded and went back towards the showers.
"Are you alright?" I asked him as I got out from my crouched position from behind the bleachers before he could enter the boys' locker room.

I heard him choke back a sob and nodded.

"Hey, it's alright. At least you made the team right?" I asked softly as I placed a hand on his shoulder.
"I just hate how everyone knows who I am by my bad heart. Well, my conditions," he said as he shed a silent tear but I saw it fall onto his helmet he was holding in his left hand.
"I know you by Derek, and so does everyone else. You're not different, trust me," I said as I pulled him into a hug.

Instead of him hugging me back I felt his lips on mine.
I saw Ryan and Brendon come out of the locker room talking about something from the corner of my eye so I pulled away from him quickly to see that Brendon and Ryan already saw.

"We're going home Kayley," Brendon said bluntly as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me off of the football field.