I Hope to God He Was Worth It

Birthday Party

Image

---

"Bren, ow, stop," I said as his grip tightened when we were in the hallway.
"You don't go around kissing guys Kayley! That's so, so immature!" he lectured as he let go of my wrist and threw his hands up in the air.
"I didn't kiss him he kissed me. I was trying to give him a hug, but he kissed me back instead of hugging me!" I defended as I saw Ryan stand at the other end of the hallway looking uncomfortable about Brendon and me arguing.
"Kayley, just...Don't do it again," he scolded as he walked down the hallway out the front door as I followed behind him slowly.

I felt someone watching me so I turned around quickly to see Ryan smiling weakly.

"I'm not mad, of course not. About Brendon, I'm not positive why he got mad. Personally, I think he should care less," Ryan said as we walked down the cement stairs of our school.
"He's a brother Ryan; he should be over protective like that. It's Brendon." I laughed lightly as we started walking towards my house.
"I live across from you now," Ryan said as he parted towards another house across from mine.

I walked into my house being greeted by my parents with a "Happy 17th birthday Kayley!"

"Thanks," I mumbled as I carried myself upstairs.

Brendon was in his room with the door wide open singing to The Hush Sound, Wine Red.
It was a beautiful song but some parts of it was sung by a girl.
The parts he sucked at, persay.
I ignored him and walked into my room throwing my backpack on my bed.
I heard music start to play loudly in my backyard reminding me that my party was tonight.
I didn't even invite anyone I knew, oh yea I don't have real friends; my parents picked them out for me!

"Hey Hun, here is your dress I picked out for you!" My step mom said gleefully as she handed me a green and black dress that reminded me of the dress from the Helena shoot by My Chemical Romance.

She handed me silky green ballet shoes that had a ribbon that you tie up to the knee.

"You could wear black leotards with them. That would look cool," she said with a smile as she left my room.

My step mom was always cool, always got me for some odd reason.
But, I always wish for everything to be normal again.
I heard a knock on my door and opened it to see Ryan standing there.

"I was wondering if you wanted me to do your make-up, and this is for you." He said as he handed me a green and black feathery mask to cover my eyes.

Like at Mardi gras.
It was the theme I chose, very classy.

"If I can get dressed, I would love for you to do my make-up." I said with a smile as I softly took the mask out of his out-reached hand.
"Alright, I'll be back in ten minutes or so." He said as he nodded and shoved his hands in his pockets and made his way down the stair case.

---

I heard a soft knock on my door once again about ten minutes later, but this time I was ready for my make-up.
I opened up my door yet again to Ryan standing there holding some make-up material.

"Ready?" he asked me as he stepped into my room.
"Of course," I said as I sat down for him to start putting on my make-up.
"You are going to be the prettiest girl out there, even with a mask," he said as he applied blush and what not.
"Thanks, I guess. I mean, I'm not pretty at all. Even with a mask." I said as he started to draw vines on both of my eyes.
"You are pretty, don't doubt yourself," Ryan said as he had a box of dark green fake jewels.

He placed three, like usual, on each side of my eye just like the previous morning.
He handed me my mask and opened the door for my step mom who was patiently waiting outside of the door, by what it looked like.
Yes it might have been stupid to do my make-up and put my mask over it but, we have to reveal who we are when my party is about over.
My mom hurriedly came up to do my hair and give me things that I 'need' such as jewelry or whatever she wanted to do to me.

--

Ryan was right, I feel pretty.
I feel like a princess and beautiful.

"Ready to walk down the stairs yet?" Brendon asked as he put his mask on and stood outside of my bedroom door.
"Why yes, I am ready." I said as I linked my arm with his.

We headed down the marble stairs to see people with elegant dresses and suits on and arranged flowers everywhere.

"There is my daughter now." I heard from my dad that was talking into a microphone.

There were many cheers and claps and then awes as Brendon kissed my cheek and left me standing on the bottom two steps of the stairs in the spotlight.
My dad had aligned many single guys to dance with me and I wasn't even going to know who they are until the end of the party.
I didn't really feel like dancing at the moment so I swiftly made me way to my backyard and sat on a stone bench where you could see Las Vegas and all its glory.

"The birthday girl shouldn't be by herself on a night like this," I heard a soft voice say behind me.
"Maybe the birthday girl likes to be alone. Anyways, I'm not a good dancer," I said as I made room for him to sit down next to me.
"What if I teach you to dance?" he asked me as he stood next to me.
"I don't think that's necessary," I said as I stood up.
"Just one dance, please?" he asked as he held out his hand.
"Very well," I said as I put my hand in his.
"You stand like this," he said as he put his hand on my stomach and the middle part of my back pushing me straighter.
"You put your hands right here," he said as he put my right hand on his shoulder and had his right hand wrapped around my left.
"Then, move your feet with mine, but just for starters you can put your feet on mine." He said softly as he glanced at my feet.
"At least I'm not wearing high heels." I laughed quietly as I stood on his dress shoes making me almost to his eye level, but still shorter.

He started moving his feet slowly carrying me with him.
I finally felt comfortable and started moving by myself to his movement and laid my head on his chest hearing his heart beat and slow breathing.
He stopped moving and lifted my chin and gently kissed me, while I started to untie his mask.
I wanted to see who he was before he disappeared into my party.
When I took the mask off my mouth was gaping open, it was Ryan.
Someone who I thought would never want to kiss me.

"I-I got to go," I stuttered as I ran off and got lost in my own party of people.