Holding Back a Wallflower

chromosome fifteen

People never remember their birth. I can’t say I remember mine, or even know everything about it. Sure, I was there. But I wasn’t old enough to understand anything until I was older. Only then did I fully understand what happened.

Several things were incredibly unique about my birth. First thing being: I was born with no father. Sure, many kids go through that. But when I say no father, I mean no father. it’s not like I was conceived like some godlike figure or anything. My father just happened to leave by choice, never to appear again in all of my years.

What else was unique about my birth was that I wasn’t supposed to be here.

You see, back in ’93, they had done tests for diseases on my Mom. Apparently, I had something growing out of chromosome fifteen. What did this mean in doctors’ terms? I’m not sure. I’m not a doctor. In simple terms, it meant that I was to die at birth.

Another happening at the same time was that the placenta had been separating, little bits at a time.

It’s obvious God didn’t want me here if he tried to kill me.

But fate was fate, and, after about a month and a half of bed rest and going to a genetic councilor, my Mom and I were both fine. I was born ten days early after twelve hours of gruesome labor, and I was able to carry on with my life freely.