‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XI

[[Kirsty]]

I slept late into the day, having woken several times in the night and found going back to sleep a near impossible task. Whatever had caused the noise in the night had rattled me, whether it was merely an animal knocking something over or something far more sinister.

The guys, however, had assured us many times that there were no such creatures here and that we were quite safe from harm so apparently my fears were quite silly.

But back to what I had been saying, the clock upon the mantle opposite the bed read 12 midday when I finally woke, having got the sleep I so really required but didn't usually attain for one reason or another. Sitting up I yawned, rubbing sleep from my eyes.

I was now able to see better and so glanced around the room. It was still rather dark and the curtains were still drawn at the windows but that didn't mean I couldn't see the shaggy wolf laid across the foot of the bed, his muzzle rested on his paws and his eyes closed as his chest expanded and contracted slowly which each breath.

They were back!

Grabbing my dressing gown from where I draped it over the back of the bed, I hastily pulled it on before pushing off of me the thick duvet, and crawled over to where he lay. Gently, so as not to startle him, I touched my hand to his head, running my fingers down to that white spot.

Without opening his eyes he let out a moan and tried to scratch it with his great back paw. Laughing as he tilted his head towards me and let me continue, I leaned over and planted a kiss on top of his head. At first it had felt entirely strange for me to act so lovingly to an animal, but this was no animal, he was a man stuck in the body of a wolf.

A man I loved greatly, and realising that I should not stop showing my affections just because he was a big dog some times, it quickly became as normal to me as my affections when he was in his human form.

I must say it had been quite a shock the first time I woke and found him asleep on my bed. It's not everyday you wake up and find a wolf on your bed, let a lone a pack of them wandering around London after a vampire of all things.

Suddenly Brian peeled open his eyes and sat up, stretching his paws; then he raised his back end to stretch those too before shaking his entire body and sitting on his haunches. There was almost a grin on his muzzle and I raised an eyebrow.

I should known when he stood back up on all fours, wagging his tail profusely and insisted upon licking my face, walking round and round me on the bed as I squealed and giggled, trying to make him stop because it tickled so much.

"Brian!" I giggled trying to push his muzzle away but he just walked away behind me, and stood licking my neck. "Bri-an!"

"Yes?" His deep voice asked as I felt his hands cup my face gently and I opened my eyes to see his face merely inches from mine, a smile on his lips and his deep dark eyes looking straight into mine. "May I help you mademoiselle?"

"You were making my face all slobbery," I whispered. "And it was insufferably tickly."

He gave a light chuckle before rubbing the tip of his nose against mine and softly pecking my lips. I smiled, especially when he pressed his lips even firmer to mine, deepening the kiss and allowing me to kiss him back.

I didn't usually let myself get so into kisses - as I have mentioned before I would much rather have conversations than spend my time with my lips locked to his - but I had missed him and, as I said, our small furry visitor in the night had scared me.

But all things come to an end and suddenly, without my realising Brian was dashing out of the room, through closed curtains onto the balcony allowing me to fall off the end of the bed onto the soft carpet below.

It still hurt, and I was still bewildered about his sudden disappearance as I wiped my flushed lips with my sleeve all the while the bedroom door opened and in strode Mrs Baker, straight to the window and threw open the curtains.

She turned and smiled at me, clasping her hands neatly in front of her. Oh dear God, this woman scared me to death. The way she looked at me was as if she was picturing her son beside me instead of Brian, I felt like she was preening me before she would pounce and snatch me from Brian.

Well no can do woman.

"Good morning," her sickly sweet falseness met my ears and I secretly shuddered beneath my clothes. My God, how on Earth Zack came from that woman I have no idea. Accepting that werewolves and vampires were real was far easier than that task.

"Good morning," I replied, smiling anyway. I only had a little longer before I could return to Brian's home. "Is Sarah downstairs?" I then enquired, only now realising she wasn't in this room. I was going to pretend I didn't know the guys were back too.

"Err," she hesitated. "No, Zachary has gone to look for her, the poor darling. She must have gone for a walk and gotten lost. Do not worry yourself; I am sure she hasn't gone far."

I nodded, overlooking her obvious fakeness and silently worrying over this.

"Oh!" I then gasped, climbing to my feet and putting an excited expression on my face. "You said Zack! Are they all back?"

Mrs Baker nodded and swiftly made her way to the door once more with a smile. "I shall tell Brian to wait in the morning room," she smiled, before leaving the room.

I let out a sigh that she had gone as Brian re-entered laughing to himself. I turned my head to consider him, frowning when he didn't stop only got louder in his chuckling. I huffed, folding my arms across my chest.

"Am I really so irresistible that you allow yourself to fall on the floor?" He grinned, coming to stand with only a little distance between us. I glanced up at him through my eyelashes, noting he was not wearing a jacket over his shirt and waistcoat, and pursed my lips as he kept on laughing, placing one hand on his stomach.

"It did hurt, I'll have you know," I pouted. "You could have given me a little more warning you were just gonna suddenly up and run; I was quite enjoying myself until I was face first into the carpet."

"You're stupid," he chuckled, touching my cheek softly.

"You're annoying," I retorted, swatting his hand away.

"Wonderful, that's settled then!" He grinned. "I shall go and meet you in the morning room. Love you sweetheart!"

And with that he kissed my cheek and sauntered towards the door, winked at me with his grin still in place and disappeared, closing the door behind him. I sighed, dropping my arms at my side. "Love you, too," I whispered before turning to go to the wash basin.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to call your fiancée stupid.
♠ ♠ ♠
:]]