‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XVI

Walking out of the shop, a smile made it's way onto my face as I thought about what was to happen. I was optimistic, and I hoped to hell it would work. Sarah being sad and quiet hurt me in turn. This had to work, if not, well, I don't know what I'll do. I can't win back a heart I already hold can I? I can just try to start mending the pieces of her spirit.

Meeting my horse when he remained tied to the post, I quickly untied his reins and mounted, placing my foot in the stirrup and pushing my leg straight, swinging the other leg clean over my mounts hind and finding the stirrup on the other side. Once fully on top, I turned him on the spot and we began to trot down the street, until I spied something a shop that I thought she'd love.

I quickly entered the shop, and chose the biggest and most expensive, it looked the nicest, and once I asked the shop owner, I was assured this was the best-made chocolate. I'd always heard wives tales about women eating chocolate and being happier, maybe this would help my cause.

Deciding I'd dawdled enough, I completely ignored the rest of the shops and spurred the white stallion onto a canter. I was eager to give her it, and so was making my horse go faster than our usual pace when coming back from town. He didn't seem to mind, instead enjoying the wild gallop.

The road forked suddenly, either leading me past Brian's houses and so forth and the houses near there and the road led up to my house and past it, or the road the beach. Since my house was near the beach, I decided it would be fun to take Capitan, my horse, onto the sand.

And he definitely spraying up the surf as we cantered down, and the house slowly came into view.

Trotting up the beach and onto the grass before taking him round to the front, the awaiting stable hand immediately taking the reins whilst I dismounted and walking my hot, sweating horse towards the stables to cool him off.

Thankfully, during our outing into the sea I had not got my clothes wet. Which was amazing, my mom always complained at me for getting my clothes wet for no good reason as she called it. She never had a good reason; she had to lighten up some. Brian had told me that too strangely enough.

Upon entering the house, my mother was upon me, not literally, but she was instantly barraging me with questions. I'd noted that she seemed to be giving me more errands and jobs and duties and such, which was keeping me away from seeing Sarah. It wasn't boding well, but I can't say no to my mother can I?

"Mom, I need to go do something ok?" I said firmly, placing my hands on her shoulders. She looked like she was about to argue, but I held up my finger to her and shook my head. She frowned, evidently not happy that I wasn't doing what she'd asked.

"What do you have to do?" She asked snidely, and I frowned at her.

"You'll find out later," And with that, bounded up the stairs.

For a moment, I wondered where my beau would be, but then I realised pretty soon. She didn't seem to venture much out of her bedroom anymore; I think it had become some sort of safe haven for her. Just as I was about to enter, a thought popped into my head.

I was trying to make things better, and I noted Brian used nicknames for Kirsty. Princess, sweetheart, sweet names that she seemed to like. I just called Sarah whatever came to mind, I needed something that was more her, that was a unique name just for her. It'd annoy my mother yet make her feel more loved I'm sure.

I feel awful sometimes because I don't think I show my love for her as much as Brian does for Kirsty anymore. I need to make this up, badly.

Petal? No too weird, you're grandparents call you that. Darling? Too formal, she's never going to like that. Angel? She's cute but she isn't an angel, and I don't know what she'd think to it. Sweetheart? Sounds kind of nice, I'm still not sure. It needs to fit her properly!

Hmm, firecracker? Firefly, that sounds good! Ok, firefly, pretty unique, not anyone call their girl that.

With that thought in my head, I opened the door slowly, and moved inside. She was sat in her usual position of on the windowsill, staring out at the sea, and biting my lip gently, I moved over and sit in front of her. Her eyes avert to mine and look down instantly. I didn't like this submissive thing; it's not good to be submissive with a wolf.

"Mi bambina, what is wrong with you?" I whispered, and when I realised what I'd said, it was then that it struck me how perfect that name was. And at her widened eyes, I saw the appreciation in there, and felt the warmth of love fill my chest slowly.

"Nothing is wrong," She mumbled. I merely sighed and looked down, before bringing up the slab of chocolate, wrapped in beautiful reflective purple paper. She looked at it confused, and I gestured to open it. A gasp left her mouth at the sight of the chocolate, and she timidly snapped a piece, popping it into her mouth.

I watched the actions intently, and smiled at the small moan of satisfaction from her.

"That's amazing," She whispered, and I smiled and nodded in response.

Finally, the nervous feeling came back, and I sighed, twisting my hands together. I shouldn't be nervous around my soulmate, I shouldn't!

"Sarah, I don't know what's happened to you to make you quiet suddenly. I don't like it, I want you back. I want you to argue with me, shout at me, scream at me even. I want you to be sarcastic and raucous, I want the fire lit in your eyes again. You're not yourself, and I don't know why. Everyone's noticed bambina, they've seen the difference," Licking my lips, I continued.

"I figured at first it was me, but it's not. But I haven't loved you like I should. It's wrong of me and though I don't know what happened, I want you to know that I love you more than anything in this world. I'd give everything up to be with you," She went to protest but I held my hand up.

"I would not have brought you all the way here for any reason if I did not love you, you wouldn't be here bambina. It's because my life wouldn't be complete without you anymore that you are here. I want the rest of my life to be spent in your arms, with you. I want to marry you, I want you to take my name, I want you to bear my children, and most importantly, I want to go grow and die with you, and only you,"

My words were having the desired effect as tears slowly began to rise in her eyes.

"I then remembered I haven't given you the token of my love, the thing that shows you are mine forever. That shows we are going to be together forever. Brian reminded me, and I felt terrible. I hope you can forgive me for not doing it sooner," I whispered before reaching into my pocket.

Pulling out the black velvety box, I propped it open and let her admire the expensive, diamond-studded ring. I'd neglected her, I realised this. And I was positive I had let my mother get to her. I loved her too much to let anything happen. She gasped, and hands flew to her mouth as tears began to fall.

"I love you," I whispered as I took the ring out and slipped it onto her finger. It was a perfect fit, and I patted myself on the back for such a good score. She whimpered and wrapped her arms round me; I knew she was still admiring the ring.

"I love you too," She whispered quietly, her words choked. My heart leapt, and I nuzzled into her. Her cries began quieter, until eventually realised she had fallen asleep against me. I lay her in her bed, and was about to leave, before her hand caught my arm.

"Stay with me, please," She said softly. My eyes softened at the sight of her, and I looked at the door nervously. My mother would flip when she saw the ring, and more so if I was in bed with Sarah. But I didn't care.

Slipping my shoes off, I lay on the bed next to her, on top of the covers whereas she was under them, and laid my arm around her waist. It was so natural to me, and the smell of her was pleasing. She cuddled into me, and kissed my chest softly. Maybe things would be easier now? I smiled and leant forward towards her ear and whispered quietly.

"I love you my bambina, forever and always,"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long :/