‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XVIII

Smiling at Kirsty as she walked into the living room, she sat down on the sofa, and it was obvious that Zack had to go now. For once he wouldn't tell me, but promised me faithfully he would when he comes back. He's told me enough already, I accepted this easily.

Turning to look at him, he smiled softly and leant forward, kissing me hard. It was obvious he was unsure to leave me again, after what had happened last time; but I'd promised him faithfully I would not do anything of the sort again.

"I'll be back soon. Love you bambina," He smiled, walking out the door. He wasn't going to be gone long this time. Just a few hours, to return tonight. I'd told him point blank that he wasn't going the night. He'd agreed obediently.

"You two look loved up again," Kirsty smiled at me. Turning my head from the door to her, my lips curved slightly as I nodded.

"Yes, he finally gave me my ring," Excitement was barely contained in my voice. I loved him so much, and the ring was beautiful. I knew nothing of weddings, but I didn't care what happened as long as I remained with him.

"It's so pretty, you definitely deserve it," She turned her attention to the bag she had brought with her, emptying it onto the coffee table. We both looked at the sheets of paper with raised eyebrows.

"What's this?" I asked. She giggled slightly at looked at me.

"It's my preparations for my engagement party," My eyebrows rose once again as I looked back down at the pile of papers in front of me. A sliver of panic ran through me as I realised I hadn't even thought of anything for mine. But then again, Kirsty was having both Brian and his mum's input.

I had no ones because my dearest Zack was always sent to do things, and his mother would much rather kill me than help me.

"Ok, so what needs to be done?" I asked, not knowing anything anyway and praying she wouldn't ask me what to do yet. She paused for a moment, a thoughtful look on her face as she observed all the papers before looking up at me.

"To be honest, I have no idea. You got anything?" She asked, looking at me with a strange look on her face. I just shrugged. I didn't even know what an engagement party was for, never mind what you're supposed to do in it.

"I thought you said you were doing those invitation things?" I said, trying to sound a little bit professional so she wouldn't catch on.

"Well I've already done those now and urgh, it's so hard doing this. Why can't we just get married I don't know," She scoffed and I giggled at her, picking up a piece of paper with some random drawings on it.

Holding it up to her, she just smiled and shrugged.

"I got bored," Shaking my head; I placed it back onto the pile before sighing softly and twisting the ring around my finger.

"So what was wrong with you the other day? I mean, you weren't yourself. It wasn't right, it was strange and worrying. Even Brian noticed it," Biting my lip, my eyes averted down and I remained silent, hoping Zack's mother wasn't around the house at the moment. She loved Kirsty, of course.

"It was nothing, I swear," My voice was quiet though, and most obvious that something wasn't actually right. I felt her gaze and knew she had not accepted this answer.

"Sarah, tell me now," She said softly.

I sighed, and looked up.

"You know that night we thought there was something downstairs? Well there wasn't, it really was a cat. But before I could come up, Zack's mum caught me. She said some really bad things about me, and made me feel well. Worthless. When he came back, I actually believed her. I wouldn't talk to him because I thought he could do better than the slums girl,"

Silence reigned, and looking back into her eyes, I saw her shock.

"That evil conniving bitch! I cannot believe she said that! You're perfect for Zack, everyone can see that. Brian's mother loves you, the guys love you, Zack's dad loves you and most importantly Zack loves you. He can't not love you," Smiling softly, I shrugged.

"Yes well, he has proved it to me and managed to get it through my stupid skull. And I won't do it again. I promise ok?" She laughed and nodded.

"Good, because you're my best friend and I don't want you getting hurt. You may be from an un-wealthy background, but you've got far more heart, courage, intelligence and beauty than half the rich girls around here. Zack's the one who deserves you, not the other way round," Blushing slightly at her words, she hugged me and laughed into my ear.

"Besides, Zack's not going to let you go anytime soon," Nodding and smiling, I turned my attention back onto the papers.

"So, engagement party," I stated. She nodded and looked down, and for around half an hour we talked firmly about her party, sorting out a few more problems here and there. She'd told me she had the full blessing of his parents to pretty much do whatever she wanted.

"Urgh this is hard. How's yours coming along?" I hadn't been paying attention and how I wish I had.

"Urm, non-existent right now," I mumbled, scrutinizing a picture very closely. I don't even know why it was in here, it was a picture of Brian and his family. He looked very much like his father I must say.

The sharp gasp made me realise what I'd just said, and I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the onslaught of what was to come.

"What do you mean non-existent? Are you serious? You haven't done anything? Why!?" She screeched in protest and shock. I laughed softly at her expression and shrugged nonchalantly.

"Zack's mum hates me. She won't help me. I've never been to a wedding, or an engagement party. I didn't even know we had them. I know nothing of this Kirsty; I can't do it on my own. Whenever I ask Zack to stay with me so we could possibly start, his mother sends him on some errand or job. I haven't got anything done. I don't even have permission of his mother," The words were filled with sadness.

"What? That's stupid. Oh my god, you two technically, as in if we're talking about when marriage when was first brought up, got engaged before us then. His mother is going to pay when Zack finds out, I can tell you that now. Come on! We have to start this. My party is in 6 days, that's plenty of time to start yours and to finish mine," She said with a firm intent in her voice.

I just merely nodded.

"Right, so first we have to write your letters," I frowned and she looked at me expectantly.

"My what?" I asked meekly. She sighed and laughed.

"You need letters to your family. Stating your getting married. It's courtesy. So, let's get writing and you can send them off," A blush filled my cheeks and she frowned once again.

"What's wrong?"

"Urm well, you're going to think I'm stupid or something but. I don't know my address," I whispered. She looked shocked to say the least.

"You don't know your address? But how did you always get home?" I shrugged.

"I just knew where it was. I know the street is Harper Street, but there's three of those at least in London. I've seen them. I didn't learn my address because I didn't have to, I just walked home and knew where it was," Her face paled.

"Oh well. You can't send letters if you don't where you lived now can you?" She said softly. I felt tears prick my eyes; I've never felt so stupid.

"I can't even get married right. I'm so useless, I'm going to be a terrible wife for Zack," Looking down, the tears slowly fell down my face and Kirsty cooed, pulling me close.

"Oh no, don't say that. It's ok; you weren't expected to remember were you? It's alright, they know you're getting married anyway, it's ok don't worry," She tried vainly to calm me down, but I felt so low. I loved him so much, but what could I offer him? He could give me anything I wanted. I could only give him myself.

I could only give him Sarah Drayton, slums girl of London, educated by a doctor only and can't even remember where she lives.

Who'd want that as their wife?