‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XIX

Reaching up to the shelf I plucked from it another book and looked inside to see how small the writing was and if it may interest me in any way whatsoever. I needn't have done so because when I saw the manuscript I knew instantly what book this was.

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre had been my mothers favourite book and I always wanted to read it myself when I was older and able to read better than I could at five. I don't know what made it so special - I knew the book because it said 'Jane Eyre' in the manuscript itself - but I had always wanted to read it to find out.

Smiling to myself and flicking straight to the first page, I read the tiny black words as I made my way to a chair and perched in it, sitting back comfortably as my eyes scanned over the printed words that were spelt out and ordered to create such a well loved tale.

I was so immersed in the book and of Jane's description of Lowood School that it surprised me completely when a bouquet of flowers appeared before my eyes subsequently making me jump and produce the smallest of squeals in fright.

Brian's familiar chuckle immediately followed and he moved around the chair, leaning down to leave a chaste kiss upon my cheek considering my appointed chaperone was hovering in a chair on the other side of the room.

Her lips pursed and a small grunt of dissatisfaction left her lips whilst her eyes went back to the book she herself had picked to read. Brian ignored her, and perched himself on the edge of the low table before, reaching out and taking my hands within his.

"Hello, Princess," he smiled broadly. I forced a smile onto my lips, trying to hide just how disgruntled I really was to see him. Then again, it hadn't been that hard for me to get it onto my face because I genuinely was happy he was home at the same time.

"Hello," I replied, taking back my hands and looking back at my book.

Brian emitted a low 'hmm' and a glance over the top of Jane Eyre showed me him frowning, chewing his bottom lip in deep thought, trying to figure out why I was so flat and why I reacted so...unlike me towards him returning.

Suddenly he snapped his fingers and sat up straighter. I glanced at him again. "I've got it!" He declared; my chaperone jumped and I raised an eyebrow in disbelief that he really had guessed what was the matter. "You don't like the flowers do you?" We both looked at the bouquet. "I know they're not roses, but the roses looked so lifeless a-"

"It's not the flowers," I cut in before looking at my book. "The flowers are beautiful, thank you."

Brian said nothing, which surprised me and I couldn't help but look up over my book to see him looking at the chaperone. He was doing the eyes; no growling, or teeth baring, his face was just blank but he was looking at her so pointedly that after a minute she stood and left the room without a word.

He looked at me when she had gone, caught me watching him and smirked. "That's better."

"That wasn't fair," I pointed out, hardly impressed - on the outside anyway - at what he had just done.

"What on earth is the matter with you?!" Brian frowned, coming to his feet and throwing his arms over his head in exasperation at me. Then he stopped pacing, turned on his heel and returned to look at me. "Has something happened today?"

"No," I replied sharply, looking at my book. "Just 'business'."

"This is because I didn't say goodbye this morning, isn't it?" He sighed, crouching down before me. "I'm sorry! But you were busy and I didn't want to disturb you! Please forgive me Princess."

Sighing I climbed to my feet, and moved to the bookshelf to return the book. It was going to be impossible to read with him insisting on constant interruption. "It might be about that," I replied reaching up and placing it back between two other books. Then I turned slightly and looked at him. "But it might also be because I don't like being lied to."

This answer threw him completely and as I left the room striding confidently passed my chaperone who was waiting patiently outside, Brian followed after me, hot on my heels with the burning curiosity for the meaning behind my words.

"What do you mean?" He asked. "Because when I told you I wanted to marry you I meant that and when I tell you that I am in love with you I mean that even more."

I stopped in my tracks and turned on my heel to look at him. "What about your business? Try starting there!" I stormed into my room, throwing the handful of pins I had just taken from my hair onto the dresser.

They scattered everywhere, some even onto the carpet but I paid no heed to this because I was shaking my head to loosen my golden blonde locks. Brian grabbed my arm and span me round to face him, to see his darkly glowering expression.

"I lie to you because I love you!" He shouted.

"Because you love me?!" I yelled back, slapping his hands away. "What twisted world do you live in Brian?! Last I checked lying is not what you do to someone you love! Especially not your wife!"

"I don't want you getting dragged into any of that fucking shit I have to deal with!" He yelled at my back as I walked away from him. "You already know more than you should because of the Ripper, I don't want you dragging in any further!"

"Why not?" I squeaked, incredulous. "What's worse than the Ripper, Brian? There isn't anything, really, is there?!"

"Yes there is, there is much worse," Brian frowned, folding his arms over his chest. "And I don't want you getting hurt!"

"Oh so by lying to me I wasn't going to get hurt when I found out?!"

Brian stomped right up to me, grabbing my upper arms in his large hands and pushing me down into the chair behind my legs. I must admit, I was rather scared now but I didn't let it show. "You don't seem to realise just how much it is I love you!" He shouted at me before softening, letting my arms go and crouching down in front of me. "I am so scared of losing you," he whispered, looking down at the floor. "There has been nothing on this Earth that has scared me, I was so fearless I could go into any situation not giving a care." That seemed liked my Brian. "Until I met you. Everything scares me now, because I'm scared someone will try getting revenge and use you to do it."

I sighed, taking his chin between my finger and thumb and tilting his head back so he had no choice but to look at me. "Brian if you don't want to tell me something, then you don't have to tell me," I informed him. "But please do not lie to me! It really breaks my heart to know you can do it so easily!"

"You think I want to lie to you?!" Brian yanked his head from my hand and began pacing the room once again.

"Well you have two options Brian," I said in a low hiss, watching him as he walked up and down my room. "You either tell me or you don't, but I won't have you bloody lie to me again!"

Brian stopped dead in his tracks, his jaw set hard and his dark eyes glaring at a spot on the wall. Then he let out an incredulous laugh, and with one hand behind his back and one hand pointing a finger into the air he turned towards me.

"Who are you to be telling me what to do?" He asked. "If I do remember correctly, you are eighteen, Kirsty, and you are a woman. You are in no position, really, to be stipulating things with a man who is almost four years older than you and is also a werewolf."

I felt my jaw hang lax in shock at what he had just said to me. I couldn't even formulate any sort of response because I was so shocked by what had just come from his mouth.

"Well?!" He roared angrily.

A whimper escaped my throat. I couldn't physically reply because I was shocked and because I was scared. Not only that but mentally, I seemed incapable of being able to string together a sentence for him. I whimpered again and pushed some tears from the corner of my eye.

"A man's business is not that of his wife and that is how it shall stay!" Brian's face was puce. In fact, his body was twitching violently and I began to uncontrollably wonder whether he was about to turn and savage me because he was so angry. "Know your fucking place woman!"

A sob left my lips this time and before I could brush them away the tears rolled down my face and down my hands that were clamped over my mouth to stop me crying any harder than I apparently already was.

But another sob soon followed. I screwed my eyes up, coming to my feet and turning my back on him so he couldn't see how scared I actually was of him right now. Then another sob and the tears were coming fast and thick down my cheeks.

"Princess?"

I screamed and turned on my heal before slapping and hitting at him. "Don't you dare call me that!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, shoving him towards my door. "Get out of here! I hate you!"

But I didn't hate him, that was half the problem I was facing as I slammed the door in his face, pressed my back up to it and wailed out. I did not hate Brian because I could not. There was absolutely no way I could ever hate the man because I was so crippled and so blinded by the intense love I held for him.

I wanted to open the door and throw myself at him in sobbing apology because I felt so ghastly for saying such horrid words, but I just couldn't because I was so hurt and so heartbroken by what he himself had said.

I just hoped he knew I didn't mean that.