‹ Prequel: Fear Of The Dark

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Chapter XX

"Zack!" I squealed with laughter as his fingers worked tirelessly on my sides. Gasping for breath and trying to beg him to stop, but he was relentless. I think he enjoyed seeing me wriggle and squirm underneath him really, not that I've ever done that under any man.

He was really excited as well; I'd noticed this about him. Maybe it was the wolf inside, but if you did something that was high energy or got well, really excited over something; he ended up getting really excitable.

Like dogs do, when you jump around with them and rub them and talk fast to them, they become excited and don't stop moving. Its literally like Zack is wagging his metaphorical tail. He would literally shake and I found it hilarious.

He was doing now once he'd stopped, and his smile was too adorable to ignore.

"Aww," I cooed at him, leaning up breathlessly and pressing my lips to his. God, I don't know how I've managed to go so long without feeling this. And to never feel his lips upon mine again would be serving me with a death sentence.

"Mmm I cannot wait until we are together forever," He whispered, and my stomach fluttered. Whatever his mother said must be lies, because feelings and words like those are what are true.

"Neither can I. I still wonder what Fate was thinking when they decided on both of us. We are opposites," Laughing, he nodded and sat up, leaning towards me slightly on the sofa and placing his arm on the back. I, myself, was sat with one leg underneath me facing him.

"Opposites attract mi bambina," He smirked. Once again my stomach swooned at his nickname, he'd taken to it like a duck to water, and he often refused to call me anything else.

"Yeah, I suppose they do," Smiling, he leant forward and captured my lips with his once again, the only thing stopping us from continuing was the timid cough from our left, the doorway.

Looking over, as I knew it wouldn't be Zacks mother, she was too rude and would just plain say if it was her, I saw Kirsty stood there, looking almost upset. Instantly I was worried about my friend, and gestured for her to come in. Zack looked at me, and his lips twisted slightly.

"What's wrong Kirsty?" I asked as she came round. She was quiet, before sniffing and looking down at the floor.

"Uh-oh, I best go. See you once you've finished talking bambina," Zack whispered, kissing me quickly and getting up, making his swift exit from the room. Kirsty sat in his place and looked at her hands.

"Kirsty, what is wrong? Tell me, you made me tell you my problems, so now I must reciprocate. What hurts you so?" She sighed softly and looked up at me, her eyes glistening with un-fallen tears.

"It is Brian. He was so, so harsh," She whimpered, closing her eyes and a single tear fell down her cheek. Instantly my heart went out to her, she should not cry, not when she has the best thing she's ever gotten right in the palm of her hand.

"What has he done so bad?" She sniffed quietly and wiped the tear away with the back of her hand.

"I asked him where he goes, I expected him to tell me, like Zack tells you of his doings. But he didn't, he went mad and was so nasty. He told me a man's business is not of a woman's. He degraded me," I was silent with shock.

I couldn't imagine Zack ever doing that to me. And if he did, I actually think he would really break me.

"I don't understand why he would say that," I admitted after a few moment's of silence. She merely shrugged her shoulders, looking dejected. I knew I was the firecracker between the two of us, but she had more zest than this.

"Neither do I. I thought he loved me more than that, I thought he actually thought of me more as an equal. I never realised he would act a sexist bigot when only asked of what he did. I'm not used to this Sarah," She mumbled.

I leant forward and hugged her tightly.

"He will regret his decision, I swear to you," Pulling away from her, I watched her as she obviously fought an internal battle to ask or say something.

"I always laugh at you and Zack, saying you two would much rather prefer to be attached at the lips or hips rather than having an intellectual conversation. You've proven me wrong. I've seen you two have conversations, debates even, and he never got angry once. Just smiled and kissed you at the end of it all," I wondered where she was going with this.

"What are you saying exactly?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm saying, I used to think mine and Brian's relationship went deeper than yours, I admit it. But I'm wrong, we debate and it ends in a screaming match. Brian won't accept a loss, whereas Zack is more than eager to lose to lay everything at peace," I still didn't really understand and I think she saw this.

"Why is your relationship stronger than mine? You two can argue about the hardest thing in the world, and he accepts defeat so gracefully. He never says a bad word about you; he treats you as his equal. He shouldn't do that, but he does. Why?" She asked pathetically. I mulled over the question for a few minutes, trying to gain the best answer for her.

"You and Brian have to go through a lot more to get where Zack and me are," I finally answered. She obviously didn't look too happy with this answer.

"What do you mean?" She finally asked after a few moments of silence.

"Zack has already degraded me, in London remember. He put me down and hurt me mentally. He doesn't want to do that again, as he's already received the backlash. He felt the hurt I felt, and he had to go with being ignored. He didn't like it, so he wouldn't do anything like Brian did," She nodded slowly.

"As well, our relationship is stronger than yours, don't take it the wrong way but. What have you and Brian been through? You fought the Ripper that was it. Zack and me, we've fallen out over his words, he nearly died in my arms, his mother tried to push me away. We've gone through so much emotionally, we can't handle anymore hurt. So we don't, we don't hurt each other. We compromise and as a result we are more physical than you two," Kirsty's eyes widened at this.

"No not that! That's for marriage, as much as I want to. I meant, you said we are attached at the lips. Being more physical with each other helps the other to be reassured your still loved if you understand? Zack and me hopefully will only get stronger. Remember the saying? Once burned twice shy," She smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, I suppose. Though if this is how much it hurts I'm not sure I want it," She mumbled. I just chuckled and hugged her again.

"Try having the love of your life nearly die in front of you. That's a reality check," She giggled and smiled, showing she was back to her old self.

The door opened quietly, and I looked, seeing Zack's head peek through. He looked meek and I knew for a fact that he'd been listening. Smiling at him, he smiled back shyly.

"Can I come back in now?"